What is the relevance of the book title?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2021 Book of the month, "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom: A Quest for Meaning in the Bathroom, the Boardroom and Beyond" by Trish Ostroski.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Re: What is the relevance of the book title?

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I definately thought this was a children’s book because of the title. The title was chosen probably because it’s different and eye catching for sure . I also think it goes deeper though, the title “Thera a rooster in my bathroom” can signify that there are things in her life ( or she wants the reader to identify in their own) that are in front of her but needs to find a way around . ( if that makes sense) having a rooster in tour bathroom is a big problem , now you just have to find a way to get it out and be gone.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

It is curious that we have been thinking this is a children's book. I think it also happened to me. However, I do believe that also the subtitle has a comment on this book being a journey. Considering this, I think the author uses a catchy title, but also links it with the content of the book. I like when this is done. The books become more like a concept and that helps to remember better their contents. Also, when something inside the book (such as the story it refers to) recalls the title, I usually feel amazing as a reader, like "oh, they said the title". In this case, I think it works in several levels of meaning and that is something very clever.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

I think the title is fun, captivating and immediately captures one's attention. I believe it tells of the humorous nature of the book. I already felt comfortable with it just by the title and cover page. It definitely drew me to the book. Marvellous marketing I believe.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I think it was a bad idea to give it a vibe of a children's book! It could make potential readers looking for autobiographies ignore this book and not give it a chance.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

The tittle and the message the book convey didn't go hand in gloves. But, it captivate readers and stir the zeal to delve into the read to uncover things.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I don’t think I see any other reason as to why the author picked this title other than how catchy it is and it works but I feel like it has a downside for example someone who isn’t interested in reading a children’s book at all would give this one a pass thinking it’s a children’s book so I feel like it would have benefited from a different title
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The book title as well as the book cover are hilarious. Although it might seem a children's book at first sight, the title is actually quite relevant. The author surely used this title to catch people's attention, and I might say that it worked for me. It made me have a closer look and read the sample.
Lucille27
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lucille27 »

Jasy95 wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 01:39 I think it was a bad idea to give it a vibe of a children's book! It could make potential readers looking for autobiographies ignore this book and not give it a chance.
I was thinking about this also. I mean, how good or bad idea this was? Because it can be a potential deceiver, but it can also be something clever. I think it is a risky move. Maybe I would just change the design a bit. Conceptual books are fun to read and a nice and refreshing touch for autobiographies, instead of just dropping the name of someone, but in this case I think it could have also been a risky an bad move. I have mixed feelings about it.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I agree that I initially thought it was a children's book as well. It does stand out from other autobiographies though due to the title, so I imagine that was the reason that they picked it. I know I'm not a huge nonfiction reader in general, so anything that will pique my curiosity is a good marketing tool.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

Indeed it's a catchy title. Though, at first glance, I too thought it to be a children's book. But I believe that author did a right choice for the title as it is different and relevant too.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

She used it as clickbait. I didn't understand the article, and didn't quite enjoy that chapter where she found the rooster. When I picked the book, I didn't know what to expect, but I know for sure didn't expect an autobiography or a self motivational book.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

I have to agree with you because at first I also thought this was a children's book. Anyway, I think the title captures your attention and that's why the author used it.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title and cover of the book was that it was a children's book. I think the author used the cover and title as an advertising strategy.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

If the author chose this title to catch the attention of potential readers, then kudos because it worked. Not all inspirational books have an interesting title. The title introduces the fun aspects of the book considering a chapter was written solely for the title
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

The title and colourful cover page of the book was quite catchy and captivating. And trust the author, she delivered well. The contents matched.

Return to “Discuss "There's a Rooster in My Bathroom" by Trish Ostroski”