Zia Lennox, is she a sexaholic?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Zia Lennox, is she a sexaholic?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Arimart99 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 01:55
BookBoyP wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 00:47 I would not go as far as using the word sexaholic. With women with high libido, once they are attracted to some one, they let their wild side out. The author was able to capture this fact perfectly in this book.
I agree fully that the word sexaholic is not the proper word to describe Zia. I would also add that I suffer from social anxiety and I saw much of myself in Zia, so I think she most likely suffers from it too.
Yes, Zia suffered from anxiety disorder, and that was the reason for her lack of relationships and also not being able to continue such relationships. But that has nothing to do with her extreme sexual needs, and does not make the use of the word sexaholic wrong.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The F*ck It Diet: Eating Should Be Easy
Bookshelf Size: 2417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Even psychologist and psychiatrists are having trouble defining what sex addiction is, or if it's even a real thing. Although in a patriarchal society it is not often talked about, a woman with high libido, such as Zia, is not that rare.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Eunice Geres »

I wouldn't say sexaholic. I think Zia is just living adventurously. Which is the first time ever I've read where a woman is so confident in her sexcapades
_Maduike
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Love
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduike.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by _Maduike »

I don't think Zia is a sexaholic. She has a high sex drive which is normal for many women and she expresses it through her sexual encounters with her lovers. Although, her passions blinded her to the true characters of her lovers, she is not a sexaholic.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

Sexaholic may not be the right word really. There a women with high libido and I think Zia is one of them. Though I don't believe in being that loose about sex though.
Sushan Ekanayake

malik khaizran wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 02:35 Zia, our protagonist easily entangled in a love triangle. Both her lovers had dark secrets to which she was oblivious. At often times she missed to see the obvious things. She was blinded with the erotic experiences she had and could not penetrate through and see the real character of her lover. But before that she just had one friend, Jazz,  and Jazz had to drag Zia to get socialized with her co-workers.

She missed obvious things because she is living a normal working women's life. We are the ones who are reading a thrilling murder mystery, things that are obvious to us are because we are taking hints from the writer. She is just living her life.
Having an ordinary life and being oblivious to obvious things are two different things. One can know things and be ignorant. But being completely oblivious is something else. Yes, Zia cannot know what we know because we are the ones who get hints from the author. But just imagine of Zia as a common working woman. Will she not even suspect about her lovers, even a tiny bit? The author made her blind to the obvious with her lust, but will it be the same in the real world?
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I think sexaholic is a bit of a strong word to call Zia. Think she is just very confident and knows what she wants and is not afraid of going after it. I think she has a high libido and isn't ashamed of it. I think it is good for women to know what they want and not be ashamed of it.
Sushan Ekanayake

emeraldlaurice012 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 07:09 I think sexaholic is not the right word. She's sex-empowered. She knows to embrace her sexuality and knows there is nothing to be ashamed of for doing so.
She did not only embraced her sexuality and sexual needs, but let it to lead her into getting entangled in a love triangle and to blind her about the dark side of her lover who fulfilled her sexual needs. I think that goes more towards a sexaholic than a sex-empowerment.
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

Overall, zia's character is weak. She seems like an oblivious fool. She does seem like a sexoholic too. Her desires overpower her ability to know right or wrong.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Exiles' Escape
Bookshelf Size: 1667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Tarizon: Supreme Mandate by William Manchee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 98%

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I don't think she was but I think she thought love involved sex. Her love for Baxter rested mostly on the physical act whereas Bryce was on an emotional connection.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Sushan Ekanayake

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 10:00 I think she is an introverted extrovert. Definitely, the lust has gotten to her, but then again "others" were clever as well. At this of where I'm at in the story, I wouldn't say she is a sexaholic. Or else why would she say the famous quote of lust being what it is and nothing else?
Who is an introverted extrovert? Can these two entities be together or switched in between?

Yes, Zia says so. But that is with the utmost realization after what she went through. Even a sexaholic can ave that understanding, that lust is just lust, but still give in herself for her needs. And that is what Zia did.
Shannon Ruane
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannon-ruane.html
Latest Review: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill
Reading Device: B07F2TKPFN

Post by Shannon Ruane »

Arimart99 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 01:55
BookBoyP wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 00:47 I would not go as far as using the word sexaholic. With women with high libido, once they are attracted to someone, they let their wild side out. The author was able to capture this fact perfectly in this book.
I agree fully that the word sexaholic is not the proper word to describe Zia. I would also add that I suffer from social anxiety and I saw much of myself in Zia, so I think she most likely suffers from it too.
Hi! I agree, sexaholic is too strong of a word. She learns that she enjoys sex quite deeply (when she is spoiled by millionaires). Would it sound odd if I said intercourse (when treated kindly) decreased Zia's social anxiety?
When her extremely high sexual desires are fulfilled, is she less anxious?

I would have thought she would be too anxious to even think about having sex with her (future) husband on their first date, but she opens up and he declines. By the end, I see his logic but at first, I was quite surprised. That did not make her feel good, but it was not life-destroying like she makes anxiety seem at the beginning. Did getting a date itself cause her to feel good?

Bax really pushed Zia to the limit between his preferences for sex and treatment of her. Sex, in general, might not be anxiety-inducing but his methods which seemed BDSM (although the word is never used) would be a logical anxiety cause. But instead of anxiety (before finding out he is the murderer), she opens up to a phone/email, then a physical relationship. Most people, whether they suffer anxiety or not would be hesitant to mix personal/professional relationships, and even less would cheat on their significant other.

There is a sequel called Ravenous Snakes. I know you can find and purchase the book online but I was wondering if that is on this website? I can not find a search bar that directly allows you to type the name of a book and see if it is in the database for review or not?

If someone could post a link to the sequel ( Ravenous Snakes ) on this website I would greatly appreciate it. (If it is not listed for review on this website I understand).

It would be interesting to see the psychological effects of the previous book's events on Zia and her friends. There is a jump skip to a happily ever after for those alive but we do not know what happened between. Being filled in on the details briefly and then introducing a new plot would be ideal.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

I don't believe Zia is a sexaholic. That description is very strong. I'd rather believe she has more often than normal. Then again I try to understand her due to her previous lifestyle
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Sushan Ekanayake

El_limitless wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 10:40 She's just comfortable in her sexuality, in my opinion. I love to read about people who have so much confidence in their sexuality. They know what they want, and they go for it, no pretence, no hypocrisy. That's very empowering, I must say.
Well, Zia knew what she wanted and went after that, even betraying her lover, and ultimately got entangled in a love triangle. When she finally had to came to her lover she was lucky enough to be forgiven for her faults. Do you see this as empowering?
Sushan Ekanayake

Naaya123 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 18:55 I don't think calling her a sexaholic is accurate. She's more of a sexual and confident women. There's nothing wrong with enjoying sex and having it often. In her case, I think she's just someone who's comfortable and confident with their sexuality.
I don't think confidence was a part of her character. We see how she suffered from anxiety disorder, and anxiety is the opposite of confidence. And if she was confident in her sexual needs, she would not have gone to Bax, but would have conveyed her needs to Bryce and fulfilled them. I think she was sexually insecure.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”