Review of The Senator's Suitcase

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Radwa Abou Shousha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radwa-aboushousha.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review of The Senator's Suitcase

Post by Radwa Abou Shousha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Senator's Suitcase" by Mitch Engel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mitch Engel’s, The Senator’s Suitcase is a captivating, thought-provoking, 3-part story told from the perspectives of a mother, reliving her long-buried past through flashbacks and a son, trying to understand his mother’s personality and the events that led to her outstanding yet very secretive life.

In the first part, Troy Davenport, a 35-year old sociology professor, is still reeling from the unexpected demise of his mother, the highly esteemed Senator Beth Davenport, when he stumbles upon an unsettling finding, a suitcase containing millions of dollars from an unknown source, left in a forgotten storage locker. This realization makes Troy question everything he knows about his mother and her so-called incorruptible persona. Soon after, the Davenport’s family lawyers drop another bombshell on him, leading him to further realize how little he truly knows of his parents’ lives and the events that led to their estrangement from the family. He sets out on an adventure in hopes of uncovering his family’s secrets and finding answers for the questions he’s always had about his mother, her life, her past, and the motives behind everything she’s ever done. Along the journey, Troy finds true love and stumbles on the surprising realization that his mother might have been a much better person than everyone thought she was.

In the second part, we find Senator Beth Davenport reminiscing over her past for the first time in decades, just mere hours before her life tragically ends. In flashbacks, we see her life unfurling, revealing a journey of heartbreak, abuse, tragedy but also success, friendship, sacrifice, and unconditional love so strong it defied all hardships in the most unconventional of ways. The series of events revealed, so poignant and significant, lead the Senator to a path of power and determination to change the lives of millions of women in an effort to protect others from ever having to endure what she went through and suffer the emotional and physical toll it took on her.

There is absolutely nothing I didn’t love about this book. Engel’s, The Senator’s Suitcase is a perfect mixture of political drama, mystery, and suspense. The author included so many important topics, including women’s struggles in the workplace and in daily life just to get their most basic of rights. He also discussed important ethical and sexual issues, including homosexuality and sexual assault. What I loved most in this book was the character development. Engel’s character development was by far the best I’ve ever seen. He manages to transform your opinion on the characters throughout the story, from admiring them to mistrusting them to absolutely loving them. Their stories left me feeling extremely emotional throughout the book and the ending gave me tremendous peace.

This book was exceptionally well-edited and written. There were no gaps or mistakes at any point in the plot. I give this book a rare but well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars for the beautiful story and the lessons it taught me. I personally recommend this book to readers interested in books with a combination of suspense and heartfelt drama and above the age of 16 since there are a few instances of sexual content.

The Senator's Suitcase
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This is such a good book showing how miscommunication and detachment from your parents or your children will make one person in the relationship suffer the consequences. Thanks for the review.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

This book should be very engaging and also entertaining too. Going down the history of one's family is at times courting disappointment but it seems that this character came out on top. Thanks for the good review.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a complex and moving story. I have this book on my list to read, and your wonderful review has inspired me to read it sooner rather than later! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

That book is going to make me tear up; this review of it certainly did.

Thank you for the review!
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Interesting title! I would love to find out where the money in the suitcase came from. Thanks for the great review.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

The summary looks interesting. It seems a very emotive book.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems to be pretty interesting. I think I’ll like this book. Thanks for your brilliant review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”