Spy/espionage novels help

For February 2022 we'll be reading spy/espionage novels.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Spy/espionage novels help

Post by gali »

For this month, we will be reading Spy/espionage novels.

Spy/espionage novels:
A genre of literature involving espionage as an important context or plot device, emerged in the early twentieth century, inspired by rivalries and intrigues between the major powers, and the establishment of modern intelligence agencies.
Reading suggestions:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/888 ... py_Novels_

What are you looking for this month?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Senay Tewelde
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Senay Tewelde »

For me the 1984 book, The Talbot Odyssey by Nelson Demille is one of the best Spy/Espionage/ Detective/Thriller book i have ever read. And i would recommend you to read it.
gali

Post by gali »

Senay Tewelde wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 13:00 For me the 1984 book, The Talbot Odyssey by Nelson Demille is one of the best Spy/Espionage/ Detective/Thriller book i have ever read. And i would recommend you to read it.
I have read 1984 and loved it. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I plan on reading The Conspiracy by John Hersey. I think it should qualify as a spy novel of sorts as it seems that it is about Nero and his secret police who felt that the "men of intellect" may have had it out for Nero. I'm assuming that the book likely deals with the secret police spying on the writers at the time. This book was on a shelf in my house growing up, but it wasn't until after high school that I realized that it was written by the same guy who wrote Hiroshima. I'm thinking (hoping) that it will be good! :shifty: :eusa-think:
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
gali

Post by gali »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 04 Feb 2022, 23:52 I plan on reading The Conspiracy by John Hersey. I think it should qualify as a spy novel of sorts as it seems that it is about Nero and his secret police who felt that the "men of intellect" may have had it out for Nero. I'm assuming that the book likely deals with the secret police spying on the writers at the time. This book was on a shelf in my house growing up, but it wasn't until after high school that I realized that it was written by the same guy who wrote Hiroshima. I'm thinking (hoping) that it will be good! :shifty: :eusa-think:
Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

I recommend books by Robert Ludlum, Brad Thor, and Len Deighton which I have read and liked. And of course our own author, Jack Winnick whose books are on my reading list.
A retired Admin/Mod

Kristen Howe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristen-howe.html
Latest Review: Future Plans by Stacy Lee

Post by Kristen Howe »

I recently read Karen Cleveland's You Can Run, courtesy from Netgalley. It's fantastic, fast-paced, and has a surprising twist in the end.
Sara Scott
Favorite Book: The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
Currently Reading: Marilyn Manson & Me
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-scott.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sara Scott »

Looking through my bookshelves for some inspiration, I realize I've never really read many spy books. Aside from Stieg Larsson's Milennium series and some Dan Browns, it seems I've barely dipped my toe in the genre so this pick has some added appeal for me now!

I love Ken Follett's historical fiction - I will forever list Pillars of the Earth as one of my favorite book - but the guy does it as an aside to his spy/espionage novels. I was considering giving one of his a go, maybe Eye of the Needle...

BUT THEN!
*dun dun dun*

The feminist in me has noted that there is not one single female author on the entirety of GoodRead's Best Spy Novels list from 1-100! So Ken will just have to wait.

Give me some love true crime and a woman's perspective. I will be finding my selection for this month from CrimeRead's list of Eight Books Based on Real Female Spies :handgestures-thumbsup:

Anyone interested in reading one of the titles from that list (or another from a female author) and discussing as we go, let me know! :techie-studyinggray:
Happy Reading, friends! :D
gali

Post by gali »

Sara Scott wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 17:02 Looking through my bookshelves for some inspiration, I realize I've never really read many spy books. Aside from Stieg Larsson's Milennium series and some Dan Browns, it seems I've barely dipped my toe in the genre so this pick has some added appeal for me now!

I love Ken Follett's historical fiction - I will forever list Pillars of the Earth as one of my favorite book - but the guy does it as an aside to his spy/espionage novels. I was considering giving one of his a go, maybe Eye of the Needle...

BUT THEN!
*dun dun dun*

The feminist in me has noted that there is not one single female author on the entirety of GoodRead's Best Spy Novels list from 1-100! So Ken will just have to wait.

Give me some love true crime and a woman's perspective. I will be finding my selection for this month from CrimeRead's list of Eight Books Based on Real Female Spies :handgestures-thumbsup:

Anyone interested in reading one of the titles from that list (or another from a female author) and discussing as we go, let me know! :techie-studyinggray:
Happy Reading, friends! :D
We have a buddy-read forum: Organize your own Read-A-Long!. You can also ask there. :tiphat:

Also, last month genre was: books by female authors.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “February 2022 Genre Discussion”