What's Scarier - Book or Movie?

For October 2022, we'll be reading Horror/Spooky books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

What's Scarier - Book or Movie?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Do you read horror books? Watch horror movies or shows? :scared-ghostface:

What do you think is creepier - reading a horror book or watching one on the screen?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I think movie/show, but I’m a scaredy cat and refuse to watch horror and will barely read a book in this genre, too. 😆
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

Movies are definitely scarier for me, the sounds and sight engage two of your senses so it feels more real. That being said, if I'm reading a pretty scary book I definitely turn on more lights in the house than usual :lol2:
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

That’s good a point - seeing and hearing those creepy sounds/music makes it worse. That’s probably why I avoid scary movies 🙃

I won’t read a scary book at night at all! I’m afraid of having nightmares!
Heidi

brian333
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brian333 »

Horror books because I have to use my imagination to summon the horror from the written page. Not like movies where the gore and scares are overt. With books, you are a traveler in an unknown territory, guided by the author. You go where he or she takes you. You're sort of at a loss of control. That is scarier than any horror movie. In books you choose to escape into the terror and use your own inner thoughts to absorb it and create your own reaction. It's like a good joy ride. You like the rush, but know you can get off. You can finish the book or choose not to if it scares you badly. Books are more cerebral than films. You're more involved because, like I said, imagination takes you into overdrive. It also depends on your threshold for horror.
brian333
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by brian333 »

Horror books as I need to be able to imagine and bring the terror on the page. Contrary to films where the gore and terror are obvious. In books, you're an adventurer in a new region, guided by an author. You follow wherever the author takes you. It's like you're lost in the crowd. It's more frightening than any horror film. In the books, you can escape the terror and use your inner thoughts to take in the terror and formulate your own reaction. It's like a thrill journey. You love the thrill but you know that you'll be able to get off. You can read the book, or decide not to read it if it is a bit scary. They are more cerebral than movies. They are more engaging because, as I've said imagination can send your mind into hyperdrive. It's also dependent on the degree to which you're scared.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

brian333 wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 21:59 Horror books as I need to be able to imagine and bring the terror on the page. Contrary to films where the gore and terror are obvious. In books, you're an adventurer in a new region, guided by an author. You follow wherever the author takes you. It's like you're lost in the crowd. It's more frightening than any horror film. In the books, you can escape the terror and use your inner thoughts to take in the terror and formulate your own reaction. It's like a thrill journey. You love the thrill but you know that you'll be able to get off. You can read the book, or decide not to read it if it is a bit scary. They are more cerebral than movies. They are more engaging because, as I've said imagination can send your mind into hyperdrive. It's also dependent on the degree to which you're scared.
That’s an interesting point - books are scarier since we use our imagination versus just seeing what’s in front of us on film. I was also thinking that a movie is only a couple of hours, but books can be much longer, which can keep us frightened for longer!
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Depends on the type of scare.

I've only had one jump scare work in book form (it was in Bird Box), but jump scares work fairly decently in film.
Other types, a book will almost always win.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 22:56 Depends on the type of scare.

I've only had one jump scare work in book form (it was in Bird Box), but jump scares work fairly decently in film.
I never thought about it that way. Jump scares happens to me a lot with movies that meant to be on the scarier side (bit not truly horror), but I don’t know if I’ve experienced that in books. Mainly because I don’t like reading truly scary material. 🙃
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 13:24

I never thought about it that way. Jump scares happens to me a lot with movies that meant to be on the scarier side (bit not truly horror), but I don’t know if I’ve experienced that in books. Mainly because I don’t like reading truly scary material. 🙃
That would be a very good reason not to have come across one before. Lol! :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 19:55
hsimone wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 13:24

That would be a very good reason not to have come across one before. Lol! :D
😁
Heidi

Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 604
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

This is a difficult one to answer actually. The sounds and eeri surrounds in a movie definitely make it scarier as state above, but then your own imagination can be worse too🤭. I must admit though I never had nightmares with horror/scary movies ever, but reading Red Dragon by Thomas Harris gave me nightmares every single night until I finished the book, lol that was a rather weird experience to me😂😂.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Leonie Vermaak wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 22:30 This is a difficult one to answer actually. The sounds and eeri surrounds in a movie definitely make it scarier as state above, but then your own imagination can be worse too🤭. I must admit though I never had nightmares with horror/scary movies ever, but reading Red Dragon by Thomas Harris gave me nightmares every single night until I finished the book, lol that was a rather weird experience to me😂😂.
That is so interesting! Nightmares until you finished the book? Have you had any nightmares based on the book at all or was the conclusion good enough to ease your mind?
Heidi

Return to “October 2022 Genre Discussion”