Review of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Toria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula

Post by Amy Toria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Inca and her team had just returned from a daring expedition to preserve the country's history in Sri Lanka. They discovered that their mother (Missy) had received a call asking her to be one of the judges for a contest that was going to take place in South Korea. Additionally, she gets to unveil her brand-new cheese recipe. When they learned about this, Inca and the other animals were thrilled. They were eager to leave on yet another international journey. However, an event that threatened to prevent their mother from competing happened as they were traveling on the plane. Her rival, Enzo, doesn't appear to have any good intentions for her. When they landed, they were greeted by Ye-Jun, their appointed guide. Ye-Jun informed them that although it was difficult to get lodging, they shouldn't worry about it. Could Inca and her team protect Missy from whatever harm this adversary might do?

Reading the book was enjoyable, and I loved this book for some reasons. The cats and dogs cooperated and interacted with each other and also with their human companions during the expedition. I applaud the author for using her imagination to make Korea's current climate understandable to young readers. The author addresses the conflict in a polite manner and shows how the two sides must work together despite their differences. It was amazing how little detail or specificity the author provided regarding the conflict between the country's two regions.

I also learned much about the nation that Inca and her family visited. My interest was also sparked by the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea, which has evolved into a fascinating natural haven for rare and endangered creatures. It was interesting to read about the vegetation and wildlife, as well as the many cherry trees that were in bloom. A brief but fascinating history of the Korean Peninsula was also provided. I truly enjoyed learning about South Korean customs and culture with Inca and her investigative squad. The illustrations are also incredibly lovely and go well with the story.

I give R. F. Kristi's Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula 5 out of 5 stars. It was exceptionally well edited, as I didn't find any errors in it. I gave it a perfect rating because it had many great qualities and no bad ones.

Due to the use of animals as protagonists and the small language structures, the book is most appropriate for children. Children that are five years old and older should read this book, in my opinion. Children over five would like the book, but children under five would find the topic too difficult.

Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Mimi JJ1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-jj1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Mimi JJ1 »

This a great children's book with passion and great lessons. Your review is great on this book
I will recommend ur to others to read too
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m glad that all of the animals can work together, especially the ones we think of as natural enemies. I’m glad that Ms. Kristi doesn’t go into too much detail about the political climate in the area.
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

I was particularly impressed by the detail and analysis of the characters and the moral lessons that children can learn from this book. I am definitely interested in reading this book in the future and I am sure that my kids would love it too. Thanks for the great review!"
" and enthusiastic
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

I am so excited to read this book! Inca sounds like a really cool detective, and I'm sure her team is full of equally amazing characters. I can't wait to learn more about the Korean peninsula and find out if Inca and her team are able to recover the cheese.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Lightning Child by Quinn Lamothe
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

I thought cats and dogs were sworn enemies. Seeing the bond and corporations the author created with this book makes me think otherwise. The South Korean culture was displayed beautifully.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Salome Ogani »

I appreciate how the book uses animals as the main characters. This approach is engaging for children and helps to humanize the story, making it more relatable. The interactions between the animals and their human companions are heartwarming and funny, adding a lighthearted element to the story.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: What Makes You Feel Better That Starts With The Letter by Sienna L. Ambrose

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I never knew that there was a demilitarised zone between North and South Korea and I feel that this book would be a nice mystery book for children. A lot can be learned from the book.
Hartly Samsford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartly-samsford.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Hartly Samsford »

I couldn't agree more with the reviewer's positive remarks about Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula. The author has skillfully crafted a story that is both educational and entertaining for young readers. The inclusion of animal characters as the protagonists is an excellent touch that is sure to captivate children's imaginations.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

The story is not only a delightful adventure but also an opportunity for children to learn about different cultures and traditions. The author has done a fantastic job of incorporating various aspects of South Korean culture, such as customs and food, into the story. This makes the book an excellent tool for parents and teachers looking to introduce children to different cultures in a fun and engaging way.
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

I think this book is a must-read for parents and educators looking for a fun and educational book for children. The author's storytelling skills, combined with the beautiful illustrations, make for a truly enjoyable reading experience. I highly recommend Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula to anyone looking for a great children's book.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html

Post by James Smith_ »

It's great that the author is able to address a sensitive topic like the conflict between North and South Korea in a way that is appropriate for young readers. The review does a good job of highlighting the positive aspects of the book while still mentioning some potential drawbacks, such as its target audience.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

I was also impressed with the way the author addressed conflict in the story. The book does an excellent job of showing that even though people may have different beliefs and opinions, they can still work together and find common ground. This is a valuable lesson for children to learn, especially in today's divisive world.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The illustrations in the book sound beautiful, and I'm sure they help to enhance the reading experience. The fact that the book is well-edited is also a plus, as it can be frustrating to come across errors that distract from the story.
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

The author's attention to detail and ability to create an immersive world make the book all the more enjoyable to read. The review is honest and balanced, providing both positive and negative aspects of the book without being overly critical.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”