High School Appropriate - Yes or No

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Papi, Por Favor! by Rossana Snee
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

High School Appropriate - Yes or No

Post by Diana Lowery »

As I was reading this book, I thought it would be appropriate to read in a high school classroom. My review was rejected because I didn't list the word "crap" in the PRQ. I also said that it had no sexual content, but evidently, it does. What is your opinion on reading this with a group of teenagers?
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Nancy004 »

I think it's a great idea to introduce this book in high school because it helps students become more aware of important topics like suicide, family issues, abuse, and mental health problems like depression and anxiety. Many students in high school might be going through these things themselves, and having open discussions about them in the classroom can make them feel safe to share their experiences and seek support. By addressing these subjects in school, we can contribute to creating a society that values and prioritizes everyone's mental well-being.
Fred Newman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fred-newman.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fred Newman »

Yeah I agree with you 100% when whe are able to face topics like sucide and depression boldly in the class without shying away from it, it will make it easier for people going through similar situation to open up or even noticing those who is going through similar situation.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Deadly Sexy Lizzy
Bookshelf Size: 1666
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The Ember Reach by J. Gibson
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 94%

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Diana Lowery wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 07:53 As I was reading this book, I thought it would be appropriate to read in a high school classroom. My review was rejected because I didn't list the word "crap" in the PRQ. I also said that it had no sexual content, but evidently, it does. What is your opinion on reading this with a group of teenagers?
I got the same rejection for that. I think it would be appropriate for young teens in High school to read the book. It makes the point of showing everyone has their own set of issues that an act of kindness could make a big difference. If Addison has not helped Celia with her hoodie, I don't think Celia would have been able to get the help she needed.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

I think it's imperative that this book reaches high schoolers because most often they need help and don't ask for it. This book could provide necessary support and guidance and anyway, censoring something rarely works with teenagers.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Stephanie Runyon wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 02:23
Diana Lowery wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 07:53 As I was reading this book, I thought it would be appropriate to read in a high school classroom. My review was rejected because I didn't list the word "crap" in the PRQ. I also said that it had no sexual content, but evidently, it does. What is your opinion on reading this with a group of teenagers?
I got the same rejection for that. I think it would be appropriate for young teens in High school to read the book. It makes the point of showing everyone has their own set of issues that an act of kindness could make a big difference. If Addison has not helped Celia with her hoodie, I don't think Celia would have been able to get the help she needed.
Sorry to hear that you are a fellow reject for this book. I am sure your review was just as excellent as mine was. :cry:
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

AvishaJain_13 wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 06:40 I think it's imperative that this book reaches high schoolers because most often they need help and don't ask for it. This book could provide necessary support and guidance and anyway, censoring something rarely works with teenagers.
I agree with you on the censoring part. It would be the parents who might complain about the language and content.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Nancy004 wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 11:43 I think it's a great idea to introduce this book in high school because it helps students become more aware of important topics like suicide, family issues, abuse, and mental health problems like depression and anxiety. Many students in high school might be going through these things themselves, and having open discussions about them in the classroom can make them feel safe to share their experiences and seek support. By addressing these subjects in school, we can contribute to creating a society that values and prioritizes everyone's mental well-being.
Yes, I thought the author's handling of those subjects was both honest and sensitive. I also liked that the book had some literary merit with her use of symbolism and motifs.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Fred Newman wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 01:37 Yeah I agree with you 100% when whe are able to face topics like sucide and depression boldly in the class without shying away from it, it will make it easier for people going through similar situation to open up or even noticing those who is going through similar situation.
It might be a stretch to get teenagers to "boldly" discuss these issues in a classroom, but I agree it should be attempted.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Then my review is in jeopardy. :D I think it's okay to read this book on teenagers because this gives them awareness about these rarely discussed matters, and it might help them open up if they feel the same about the characters, and seek help. Many are silent and afraid to open up, maybe by discussing this book with them, they will gain the courage to share their dark secrets.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 17:43 Then my review is in jeopardy. :D I think it's okay to read this book on teenagers because this gives them awareness about these rarely discussed matters, and it might help them open up if they feel the same about the characters, and seek help. Many are silent and afraid to open up, maybe by discussing this book with them, they will gain the courage to share their dark secrets.
I think your review might be safe. Mine got rejected before it was published.
Dana Youngblood
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Please Read Me by Kathryn Sprandio Ells
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

I feel that this book would be good for high school students to read. A lot happens in one day and it can seem really big to a teenager. Even though most of the characters didn't realize it, they were helping each other. One person, Avery, would say a simple thing like "See you later," and that gave Addison hope. People do not always see that their actions and simple words can change a person's day but this book shows that. All of the characters are going through something pretty serious and hard to deal with at any age, let alone as high schoolers. I think this book can help high school students see that they are not alone in their thoughts and feelings.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

I'm a big yes on this book for high schoolers!

And I'm a bit fuzzy on my PRQ but I am pretty sure I answered mine the same way you answered yours, so that's weird that yours got rejected. Mine did not get rejected @Diana Lowery .
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Emily Meadows wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 14:25 I'm a big yes on this book for high schoolers!

And I'm a bit fuzzy on my PRQ but I am pretty sure I answered mine the same way you answered yours, so that's weird that yours got rejected. Mine did not get rejected @Diana Lowery .
I am glad your review slipped under the radar.
I guess the stars were shining on you.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

First, modern teenagers are exposed to things early in life because of social media. In addition, sexual material is best discussed with parents or guardians involved, although it might be discomforting. That said, I believe this book is a wonderful addition for teens!

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”