What did you think of the plot?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2023 Book of the Mont, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=496905

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a discussion forum topic for the September 2023 Book of the Month, Nimue: Freeing Merlin by Ayn Cates Sullivan.

Attachments
MO230827 (13).jpg
MO230827 (13).jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 1123 times
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Dana Youngblood
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Please Read Me by Kathryn Sprandio Ells
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 62%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

I thought the plot was incredibly interesting. I was really excited to dive into the book because of that. I liked the idea that she felt there was more going to who she was while not really knowing. Once she goes to this other world/time to discover it all, she has an incredible opportunity that lies in front of her. I wonder if there will be a second book that extends her story.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Dana Youngblood wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 11:33 I thought the plot was incredibly interesting. I was really excited to dive into the book because of that. I liked the idea that she felt there was more going to who she was while not really knowing. Once she goes to this other world/time to discover it all, she has an incredible opportunity that lies in front of her. I wonder if there will be a second book that extends her story.
I agree with you completely, Dana. I liked the fact she was being haunted in her dreams before the being chased by the same limo in reality. I'm not sure where a second story would go. I can see it following Nina, but how much of Nimue would be in it - or is that the point?
Dana Youngblood
Currently Reading: All You'll Never Be: Because of Who You Are
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-youngblood.html
Latest Review: Please Read Me by Kathryn Sprandio Ells
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 62%

Post by Dana Youngblood »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 12:18
Dana Youngblood wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 11:33 I thought the plot was incredibly interesting. I was really excited to dive into the book because of that. I liked the idea that she felt there was more going to who she was while not really knowing. Once she goes to this other world/time to discover it all, she has an incredible opportunity that lies in front of her. I wonder if there will be a second book that extends her story.
I agree with you completely, Dana. I liked the fact she was being haunted in her dreams before the being chased by the same limo in reality. I'm not sure where a second story would go. I can see it following Nina, but how much of Nimue would be in it - or is that the point?
I don't see Nimue being a big story line in a second book. I would like to see what Nina does with her knowledge of who she is. It felt rushed at the end when she became Nina again. It was like she saw who she was and came back to Nina only to end the book. There was not much about what she wanted to do with the knowledge and information of who she is. Thank you for your response!
Sara Rispo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Sara Rispo »

I thoroughly enjoyed the plot. I loved the way Nimue is introduced to the reader, and I really liked reading about her story. It was one of the best parts of the book. The only thing that slightly disappointed me was the ending. It felt somewhat incomplete and underdeveloped compared to the rest of the story. It left me dissatisfied and yearning to learn more about the consequences related to the discovery of Nina's true identity.
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1943
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I appreciate the elements of mythology and spirituality found in the story. Also, the main character, Nina, travels to her mother's hometown, England, to explore her roots. The theme of the family depicted in the story draws my attention. Remarkably, the story contains ancient legends and history.
Sameeha Ismail
Currently Reading: Jane Austen at Home
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sameeha-ismail.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Sameeha Ismail »

I love the story of Merlin. I've already watched the Merlin series and another book series by the title Merlin Saga. So, when I saw the book title, I decided to read it. I was not disappointed. The story of Merlin and Nimue had me completely enchanted. However, Nina's story could have been more creative.
One book, printed in the heart's own wax Is worth a thousand in the stacks.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

I greatly appreciate the plot of Nimue. The protagonist's mature handling of the revelations about her past life is captivating. She embarks on a mysterious journey through time to unravel secrets for her friends and family. The detailed scene descriptions and the enigmatic reason behind Nimue's sealing of Merlin are elements that continually engage readers, driving them to keep turning the pages of the book.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

I think the plot of the book is rich and well-researched. The touch of art, history, ancient magic, ancient beliefs, and so on. They added some spice to the book. It was intriguing to read.
Maddie Atkinson
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Dear Little Corpses
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I am finding the plot very interesting and obviously a lot of research has gone into it and the understanding of Arthurian mythology. I think one small thing that has bothered me as a Brit, is that it feels a little bit Britain obsessed, like touristy obsessed, which isn't a bad thing to begin with but does get a little frustrating, but that probably doesn't register as much for Americans!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Olga Markova »

I liked the plot, especially how the multiple threads were interlaced and connected to portray Nina's reincarnation and her connection to Nimue. The dreams she had with a lady in green calling her "Mage" were one such connecting thread at the start and then the later part with the Arthurian mythology was simply awesome.
Chinenye Sus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Chinenye Sus »

Sara Rispo wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 11:06 I thoroughly enjoyed the plot. I loved the way Nimue is introduced to the reader, and I really liked reading about her story. It was one of the best parts of the book. The only thing that slightly disappointed me was the ending. It felt somewhat incomplete and underdeveloped compared to the rest of the story. It left me dissatisfied and yearning to learn more about the consequences related to the discovery of Nina's true identity.

That's sad to know. I just started the book recently on my kindle app and it would be a shame if the ending becomes anticlimactic. However, I just hope it is a subjective view as I will keep on with the plot. Thank you.
Kristine Mariel Diaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine-mariel-diaz.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Kristine Mariel Diaz »

The mythology and the explanations of the true art of healing with nature is amazing and made me feel that we have lost a lot in our real world by fearing magic and not understanding the true essence of the power of nature.
Now I am curious to see how Nina will handle this new information and power inside her and of course how she will help our very damaged world with it.
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Neha Panikar »

I really like the plot and couldn't put the book down. However, I did feel like there were too many characters to keep track of, didn't understand why Merlin wasn't freed in the end, didn't get why Merlin was taken in by the White Deva twice (first time he was taken in, he returned back and then they lived a normal life together?) etc. I'm hoping I find out when I read the other books in this series. But I thoroughly enjoyed the development of the story, the discovery that she's a goddess, her transition from different worlds, spaces, and dimensions. Loved it!!
Nenye Lauraa
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-lauraa.html
Latest Review: Life Struggle of a Vietnam Veteran by Christopher Rowling

Post by Nenye Lauraa »

You just said my mind. The plot was very fascinating because there was steady ongoing development that made me hooked to it.

Return to “Discuss "Nimue: Freeing Merlin" by Ayn Cates Sullivan”