What do you think about Cassandra Clare's writing style?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
brooklynegan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklynegan.html

What do you think about Cassandra Clare's writing style?

Post by brooklynegan »

I love Cassandra Clare's writing, she makes me laugh and cry at the same time. After reading my favourite trilogy "The Infernal Devices" by Cassandra Clare I now own most of her books. This led me to wonder what others thought about her writing. Do like her style of writing and do you have a favourite book by Cassandra?
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

I really enjoy her writing style now, and I own all of The Mortal Instruments series, but it took me until I was approximately halfway through City of Bones to really appreciate her method of story telling. I'm not sure why, because now it seems perfectly palatable.

I purchased The Bane Chronicles as a Christmas present for my sister. I will likely read that one as soon as she gets done. Have you had a chance to read that one yet?
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
brooklynegan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooklynegan.html

Post by brooklynegan »

Yes I actually just purchased the Bane Chronicles 2 days ago, it's on to to-read list!
Kaitlin Lake
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: The Vampire Academy Series
Currently Reading: The City Of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-lake.html
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Kaitlin Lake »

I have actually always loved her books. I love the way she expresses her characters through her writing and how she always keeps you guessing. My favorite male character is Jace wayland and my favorite female character is Clary Fray. I would love to read everything that she writes because she is an extrodinary author. :D
I can't not choose my favorite book.
"Set the a seal upon the heart for a seal upon the arm for love is as strong as death." :lol:
shakeitkatie
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shakeitkatie.html
Latest Review: "Blood Blossom" by Daryl Hajek

Post by shakeitkatie »

I was hesitant about her writing style at first, probably because I was being prejudice of the genre, but I found her to be bold. I received The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones as free book and having not read anything else by her, I thought it was just going to be another “paranormal romance” book. I expected a Young Adult approach to her writing (again based on prejudice) and was surprised to find that even though the characters are YA, the book itself was very mature. I enjoyed her writing and while I have only read The Mortal Instruments series, I would be open to reading more from her.
Latest Review: "Blood Blossom" by Daryl Hajek
lucy_borland
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-borland.html

Post by lucy_borland »

She is one of my favorite authors by far. Her series The Mortal Instruments is amazing.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I knew CC back in the day when she wrote Harry Potter fanfiction, and I was pretty surprised to hear when she first became a published author (controversy aside). While I liked some of her ideas, her style I found to be pretty bland and inconsistent. Wasn't much of an issue when reading fanfiction but that's not a published book. :P
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
Astro
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Astro »

I used to read her LOTR fanfics back before she got published, and I used to enjoy them, she was funny and had a sort of snappy style that I genuinely liked. For some reason though, her novels don't have that same sort of drive, I'm not sure if it's because she takes them more seriously or what. I read TMI when they first came out, and they were ok, but I always felt like there was something lacking.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I have read a couple of books from the Immortal Instruments series, and I thought they were pretty good. I thought the books were fun and excitingly. There are always new twists and turns.

-- 19 Mar 2015, 20:30 --

I have read a couple of books from the Immortal Instruments series, and I thought they were pretty good. I thought the books were fun and excitingly. There are always new twists and turns.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Lady-of-Roses
Currently Reading: Courting Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Lady-of-Roses »

I love her writing, she writes them with interest. She gives you emotion when you read the book like you are living their world. I have read all her books and the ones now and she keeps getting better and better. She is equal towards everyone, she writes about anyone in the world and she adds real places to her books. Absolutely love it.
AnxiousSocks
Currently Reading: Ash
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxioussocks.html
Latest Review: The Miller's Tale by Geoffrey Chaucer (Brian Lamont translator)

Post by AnxiousSocks »

Duende Knocking wrote: 14 Feb 2015, 23:38 I knew CC back in the day when she wrote Harry Potter fanfiction, and I was pretty surprised to hear when she first became a published author (controversy aside). While I liked some of her ideas, her style I found to be pretty bland and inconsistent. Wasn't much of an issue when reading fanfiction but that's not a published book. :P
I completely agree! I got really excited just now that a lot of people know of her fan fiction works :wink: I read part of her Draco Trilogy over ten years ago and her writing style was quite childish. She has improved a lot since then (obviously) but I still find her writing style a bit boring.
She does know how to write interesting characters once in a while.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I love all her books I've read. I'm currently on the final book of The Dark Artifices series and finished the The Mortal Instruments series a while back. The fact that these books got a movie and a TV show adaptation (yes, both disappointed) proves just how good the story was. I loved that I could laugh - the humour wasn't forced and enjoyed the adventures the characters go on.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I read some of her work when I was younger before I got into her Mortal Instruments series. I really liked it back then but as with all things fanfiction, I grew out of my previous tastes. I haven't read anything new by her but I think it's safe to assume that her style has probably changed over time since I keep hearing good things.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I really like the Mortal Instruments series but I haven’t read anything else of hers to be honest. Maybe I will have to check out some of her other work as well.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I picked up nearly all her Mortal Instruments and attached series. It took quite some deliberation because I didn't like the City of Bones film. Then the Shadowhunters tv series came out and it was so much better. Looking forward to reading the books, especially the Bane Chronicles. Probably the best character.

Return to “Discuss Authors”