Official Review: A STICKY BUSINESS and short stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Official Review: A STICKY BUSINESS and short stories

Post by Kappy »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A STICKY BUSINESS and short stories" by Mel King.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Sticky Business and Short Stories (2015), by Mel King, is a 170-page book of historical stories which includes one novel and 14 short stories; it is available as an e-book or as a paperback. The novel examines issues such as God's motives and His mysterious plan, loss of faith, fate, life after death, heresy, the existence of God, the sufferings of righteous people, church dogma, and blasphemy. The short stories bring up topics such as falsified war records, the Inquisition, organized crime, and suicide. The author is a retired trial lawyer who now has an incurable disease, and is facing some of the questions posed in the novel.

Mr. King notes that the novel is based on an old philosophical question: "If God is righteous, why does He allow so many righteous to suffer while many sinners lead prosperous, happy lives?" The historical event that forms the basis for the novel took place in Boston during January 1919, when a storage tank filled with two million gallons of molasses burst, killing 21 people. The two protagonists in the novel are a trial lawyer who represents victims of the event, and a young priest who questions God’s motives for allowing the incident to occur.

A Sticky Business begins inauspiciously, with four pages of somewhat drab historical background. It might have been better to start with the explosion, then fill in the history as needed, with more focus on the people involved. Occasionally, the author breaks the narrative by speaking directly to the reader, e.g., "It is still in operation today." He ends the story with a paragraph expressing his personal views; this would have been more appropriate in the epilogue.

Mr. King does an excellent job of sticking to the main theme. However, too much of the novel reads like excerpts from encyclopedia articles. The story would be more interesting with a closer interweaving of these facts with the characters' actions. Furthermore, the courtroom scenes are little more than a verbatim transcript of the proceedings. The author, who was a trial lawyer for more than 40 years, certainly has the knowhow to do better than that.

The short stories are interesting and educational, but the fictionalized aspects comprise only small portions of the stories. As in the novel, the author often speaks to the reader directly; however, this is less distracting than in the novel, because there is so little fiction in the short stories.

This book is good, but there is plenty of room for improvement. The novel would greatly benefit from an opening that immerses you in the action immediately. The grammatical errors are fairly minor (mostly in the form of absent hyphens in spelled-out numbers and compound adjectives), but need to be corrected. The book has no serious deficiency, so it has earned 3 out of 4 stars. If the author included more fiction, especially in the short stories, it would help immerse the reader into the tales, especially if he seamlessly incorporated the fiction with the historical events instead of simply reciting history.

The novel will appeal to people who enjoy debates about religious issues such as God's motives and His mysterious plan; the short stories will appeal to people who like reading vignettes about historical figures and events. However, if you are looking for excitement and suspense, you will be disappointed.

A STICKY BUSINESS and short stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble

Like Kappy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
JennyMatrix
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennymatrix.html

Post by JennyMatrix »

Thank you ! I can hardly wait to start reading ! Thank you from North Carolina, USA.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for an excellent review. I enjoyed your insightful observations about what could improve the book.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: An American in Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review Kappy! The subject matter sounds interesting. I agree with Pashuru.....I liked that you pointed out little things that would have made some of the sections less boring. It's difficult to write about historical events without it sounding like a textbook.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Thanks for the kind words, JennyMatrix, PashaRu, and bookowlie. But note that I didn't mean to imply that it was boring; it was interesting, but could have been better.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I knew what you meant. I just couldn't come up with a better adjective than boring. :) I can relate. I've read a few books that were very good, but I thought a few tweaks would have propelled them into the Excellent column.
shazmoking
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazmoking.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by shazmoking »

Your review made me a little curious to know what happens, but not so much that I am rushing to get a copy of the book.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:It sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome. The short stories are about subjects off the beaten track, such as the story of Al Capone's older brother.
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Hey, this sounds like an interesting read. So the short stories are not all reliously themed?
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Stevefromtheblock wrote:Hey, this sounds like an interesting read. So the short stories are not all reliously themed?
The short stories cover a wide variety of subject matter, e.g., going over Niagara Falls in a barrel, the theft of the Mona Lisa, a wrestling match in the Olympics 2,500 years ago, ...
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

The topics sound unique and interesting!
Michelle-lit
Currently Reading: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-lit.html
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor

Post by Michelle-lit »

Great advice about sticking the explosion at the beginning of the story. It's easier to hook the reader with a bit of action.
Latest Review: "Take Her" by Midnight Taylor
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Michelle-lit wrote:Great advice about sticking the explosion at the beginning of the story. It's easier to hook the reader with a bit of action.
Thanks, Michelle. Twice I started reading A Tale of Two Cities but put it away after a few chapters. I finally finished it on my third attempt, after listening to an audiobook version. I think it would be much better if it started with the storming of the Bastille, with the background filled in afterward.
KyleWhite
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kylewhite.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by KyleWhite »

This book is definitely outside my normal reading habits but it definitely sounds interesting. As a somewhat frustrated atheist who is sick of boring, redundant, self important ranting and raving from the atheist community, I am very much down with reading a book that tackles the god debate in a new and engaging way. The inconsistent triad (The problem that God is supposed to be all good and all powerful yet evil still exists) has always struck me as an interesting subject for novelization but I never figured out what to write. I will definitely be giving this a read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”