Fantasy/Magical Realism Discussion for March

For March 2016, we will be reading Fantasy/Magical Realism books.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Fantasy/Magical Realism Discussion for March

Post by kio »

Fantasy is defined as a genre of fiction that uses magic or other supernatural elements as a main plot element, theme, or setting. Many works within the genre take place in imaginary worlds where magic and magical creatures are common. Fantasy is generally distinguished from the genres of science fiction and horror by the expectation that it steers clear of scientific and macabre themes, respectively, though there is a great deal of overlap between the three. It frequently crosses into adventure as well.

Magical Realism is defined as a genre that portrays magical or unreal elements as a natural part in an otherwise realistic or mundane environment.

Please include a brief summary of the book read. Feel free to discuss other questions, but here are some suggestions: What made this book fantasy or magical realism to you? Did it crossover into other genres? Would you recommend it? Why or why not? What are some common elements you've seen in other fantasy/magical realism book as well as in the one you read?

-- 02 Mar 2016, 02:25 --

For example, as I've read Harry Potter, I've noticed that it could fit under fantasy or magical realism. Amidst the muggle world, we see magic users all around us, they just hide it from the muggles. The world has an imaginary world within the real world that is full of dragons, goblins, mail-carrying owls, acromantulas, and more. It's theme include good versus evil, light versus dark, horcruxes (magical splinching of the soul due to murder), and self-discovery. You see him for parts of each book, however, in the the muggle, mundane world.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I'm currently reading Angel Fire East by Terry Brooks, the final book in his Word & Void Trilogy. This series has magical realism written all over it. The two main characters, John Ross and Nest Freemark, both posses magical abilities. The trilogy mainly takes place mainly in Hopewell, Illinois, but the last book spent a good portion of time in Seattle. Both Nest and John use their magic for good, but the creatures and demons of the void are trying to disrupt the way of the world and change the world as we know it.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently finished reading An Empire of Traitors by Serban V.C. Enache. The book is told in multiple character perspectives with varying story lines that mainly takes place in the Empire. There are traitors and scheming throughout the book. I would consider this book as Fantasy due to the magical creatures present in the story. There are wyvern, leviathan, and the possibility of werewolves. During this book, there doesn't seem to be much magic going on except maybe one healing scene, so this is why I"m also sticking with fantasy versus magical realism.

I would highly recommend of this book to anyone who likes a somewhat challenging read (due to the multiple story lines) and who would like a dose of fantasy :).
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I never even thought about it, but the last book I finished can count for this.

I read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks.

Budo, an imaginary friend to Max, a boy who's "on the spectrum", tells his story as he fights to save him.

From the beginning Budo fears the day when he will disappear, because there's nothing worse than not existing.

He meets many other imaginary friends, some just a smudge on the wall. And then there's Oswald, who scares Budo. A lot.

It's a fun, and thrilling read, filled with boyhood humor, and heartwarming friendship. It also has it's sad and serious moments, but with an air of innocence always present.

I gave it four out of four, and highly recommend it, especially to anyone who has seen and enjoyed the movie Drop Dead Fred (also about an imaginary friend).

I'm already planning to read more by the author.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote:I never even thought about it, but the last book I finished can count for this.

Budo, an imaginary friend to Max, a boy who's "on the spectrum", tells his story as he fights to save him.

From the beginning Budo fears the day when he will disappear, because there's nothing worse than not existing.

He meets many other imaginary friends, some just a smudge on the wall. And then there's Oswald, who scares Budo. A lot.

It's a fun, and thrilling read, filled with boyhood humor, and heartwarming friendship. It also has it's sad and serious moments, but with an air of innocence always present.

I gave it four out of four, and highly recommend it, especially to anyone who has seen and enjoyed the movie Drop Dead Fred (also about an imaginary friend).

:text-goodpost:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Gravy wrote:I never even thought about it, but the last book I finished can count for this.

That sounds like The Imaginary by A.F. Harrold. It's been a while since I've read it, but it follows an imaginary friend that is trying to stay "alive" with the help of other imaginary friends. And there's an evil guy that is out to get them. I know it's not a great description, but it has a lot of the elements you mentioned.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Taylor Razzani wrote:

That sounds like The Imaginary by A.F. Harrold. It's been a while since I've read it, but it follows an imaginary friend that is trying to stay "alive" with the help of other imaginary friends. And there's an evil guy that is out to get them. I know it's not a great description, but it has a lot of the elements you mentioned.
That actually sounds very interesting. I'll have to look it up.

Memoirs is so many different things, it's kind of hard to put it all down. There's a sort of mystery, and Budo's wanting to persist, as well as his love for his boy. And then there's the relationships Budo has with other people, all of which are one sided as they can't see him, but he truly cares about them.

And even Oswald isn't what you think at first.

I'm still working on digesting it :lol:

I'm definitely going to look into that, thank you :)

Taylor Razzani

Post by Taylor Razzani »

That actually sounds very interesting. I'll have to look it up.

Memoirs is so many different things, it's kind of hard to put it all down. There's a sort of mystery, and Budo's wanting to persist, as well as his love for his boy. And then there's the relationships Budo has with other people, all of which are one sided as they can't see him, but he truly cares about them.

And even Oswald isn't what you think at first.

I'm still working on digesting it :lol:

I'm definitely going to look into that, thank you :)
Yeah that one sounds good too, possibly more involved than The Imaginary. It was a fun read but probably more childish than what you're describing. I'll have to check that one out too :)
kio

Post by kio »

That has an intriguing premise. I like how it's told through Budo's point of view. That definitely gives it more of a fantasy/magical realism feel.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Taylor Razzani wrote:Yeah that one sounds good too, possibly more involved than The Imaginary. It was a fun read but probably more childish than what you're describing. I'll have to check that one out too :)
I hope you do :)
It's very interesting. Also, a new way to get even with bullies, but you'll have to read it to find out :laughing-rolling:
Seriously, I laughed so hard!!!
kio wrote:That has an intriguing premise. I like how it's told through Budo's point of view. That definitely gives it more of a fantasy/magical realism feel.
It certainly made it a fun read :reading-6:

Taylor Razzani

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Sounds promising!! I'll add it to my 'To Be Read' list, I always enjoy books that make me laugh :)
Cozy_Rozy
Currently Reading: The Tipping Point
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Cozy_Rozy »

I just finished The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe and loved it! I had avoided it because I've never really been a fan of allegories or the whole fantasy genre. They usually just annoy me but this book was beautifully written and can be enjoyed just for it's simple themes by children but also by its intriguing and deep meaningful lessons.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Cozy_Rozy wrote:I just finished The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe and loved it! I had avoided it because I've never really been a fan of allegories or the whole fantasy genre. They usually just annoy me but this book was beautifully written and can be enjoyed just for it's simple themes by children but also by its intriguing and deep meaningful lessons.
I loved this book as well! Glad you enjoyed the read :)
Heidi

kio

Post by kio »

Cozy_Rozy wrote:I just finished The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe and loved it! I had avoided it because I've never really been a fan of allegories or the whole fantasy genre. They usually just annoy me but this book was beautifully written and can be enjoyed just for it's simple themes by children but also by its intriguing and deep meaningful lessons.
This was always a favorite of mine as a child. I also love how you can see it as simple or as deep as you want. What character did you relate with the most?
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

I just reviewed The World Below by Mike Phillips on my blog. It's a contemporary fantasy about a man who finds out that there is a world below his city that includes magical creatures. He gets involved with a woman who is a fae. When she's taken, he has to ally with goblins to save her. I enjoyed reading this book.

I love magical realism. I read mostly urban fantasy, contemporary fantasy, and paranormal romance. I also read a lot of paranormal mysteries.

Return to “March 2016 Genre Discussion”