Christian fiction authors

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ahammond321
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahammond321.html

Re: Christian fiction authors

Post by ahammond321 »

So excited to see this post. I love Christian fiction but it is hard to find good ones. haven't had any really good action ones. But I certainly have some books I love

Bo's Cafe
The Shack
Redeeming Love
love having new ideas.
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

I would call Brock and Bodie Thoene's books historical fiction, having only read a few, set on the eve of WW II.

John White has The Tower of Geburah, a fantasy adventure for kids.

G. K. Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries are mystery/comedy/theology. I once heard someone compare reading a bunch of them into a row, to eating a whole packet of Oreos. :)

C.S. Lewis's Narnia books are for kids, of course, but he also has the Space Trilogy for adults. And don't miss 'Til We Have Faces, possibly the best historical fiction I have ever read, set in the ancient world.

Dorothy Sayers is a believing author though her books aren't explicitly "Christian." She wrote the Lord Peter mysteries, very sophisticated Agatha Christie style British murder mysteries, with a very slow-growing romance thrown in.

There are also the Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters (pen name for Edith Pargeter). Pargeter's ethic isn't exactly Christian, but her novels are set in a very Christian, medieval world. Brother Cadfael, the sleuth, is a somewhat unconventional monk.

Sorry if any of these suggestions are repeats ... I don't have the time to read through 7 pages of comments!
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
free_dreamer
Currently Reading: The Resolution for Women
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-free-dreamer.html

Post by free_dreamer »

Love Karen Kingsbury. Also love Charles Martin - depending on the store, his books can be found in "mainstream" fiction, and in Christian fiction. He writes beautifully woven stories that paint pictures of the areas of the South that his characters reside in that remain imprinted on my memory long after I have finished the last page.
frvrlovc37

Post by frvrlovc37 »

Hello, I am new here and I LOVE to read!! My favorite type of books are the Christian Romances and mysteries. I also love cozy mysteries. I have many Christian authors that I love, Marta Perry, Lori Wick, Beverly Lewis, and others.
Sophia_Buehler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-buehler.html

Post by Sophia_Buehler »

If you are into thrillers as well as Christian Fiction, then I would suggest Ted Dekker right off the bat! He is so good at making your brain do twists and turns trying to figure out the main Character. I would recommend Thre3 if you like Psychological christian thrillers. He is one of the best christian authors I have read, to this day.
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

Although I don't identify as Christian, I thoroughly enjoyed Francine Rivers' historical fiction novels, and they have formed part of my ongoing spiritual journey. Another great Christian writer is David Gemmell. He wrote heroic fantasy, and while his work doesn't present itself as overtly Christian (unless you know that he was devout) his beliefs are evident in his books, and the theme of spiritual redemption prevalent. As he said once: " My books contain the same message, but I don't preach about it. The message is for those with the eyes to see and the ears to hear. If any reader doesn't understand the message, no amount of lecturing from me will bring it home." Truly an amazing writer.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
im_simply_karen1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-im-simply-karen1.html

Post by im_simply_karen1 »

Francine Rivers is definitely my favorite Christian author. The first book of hers that I read was Redeeming Love, which had me in tears by the end. Since then, I have read several more of her books a can consistently blown away by each one that I read.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I have found Tracie Peterson to be a very enjoyable author. I just recently finished Taming the Wind by her and I loved every minute of it. Francine Rivers is another good one, and so is the Love Finds You series, which is written by different authors.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
maisha016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maisha016.html

Post by maisha016 »

I absolutely agree with im_simply_karen1 and others who stated the same-- Francine Rivers is phenomenal! For those of you who like to read Christian fiction, REDEEMING LOVE is a MUST read. It is one of my alltime favorites. That book made me CRYYYYYY like a baby.
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

I LOVE Christian Fiction. Some of my favorites:

Tracie Peterson
Colleen Coble
Karen Witemeyer
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Right off the top of my head, Ted Dekker. I currently have Peretti's This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness on my personal bookshelf waiting to be read. I love that there are so many subgenres of Christian writing. I personally could stick to only Christian works from the standpoint of enjoying the read. But I push myself to read secular books as well, in the name of being a well-rounded reader. Kind of like not listening to the same radio station all the time, you know? Having seen all the passionate replies about Christian fiction authors, why is this not one of the genres listed in the forums? Just curious.

-- 14 May 2016, 19:31 --

Oh, and I forgot to add Neta Jackson to the list. Currently reading her Yada Yada Prayer Group series...great books dealing with issues modern day Christians face in real life. Very good read.
michaelf58
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaelf58.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by michaelf58 »

I have two favorite christian fiction authors that I like. They are Wanda Brunstretter and Beverly Lewis. Both are great authors and I have met them in person. They are great people as well. Beautiful ladies!
Oli220

Post by Oli220 »

William Paul Young wrote The Shack, which has Christian undertones. It's an amazing read. I believe that he has other books that are Christianity related, but you'd have to check.
Bob Richley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Bob Richley »

I love C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia series. You may not normally think of J. R. R. Tolkien as a Christian fiction writer, but his Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books are based on his Christian beliefs and values.
erica_bvs
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 668">Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</a>
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-bvs.html

Post by erica_bvs »

I work in a Christian bookstore and some of the most popular authors are Karen Kingsbury, Tedd Dekker, and Beverly Lewis. When I was younger I read a series called the Christy Miller Series by Robin Jones Gunn. I loved those books!

Return to “Discuss Authors”