Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jane Doe
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-doe.html

Which author started it all for you?

Post by Jane Doe »

For me, it was Suzanne Collins. After completing The Hunger Games, I finally realized what I have been missing out on. It is almost as if I can't get enough reading material now.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

For me, it was Stephenie Meyers. Twilight saga really got me into reading, i was in college when twilight broke out and it was insane, i didn't think i would like it, and thought it's probably just some cheesy vampire teen novel, but boy i was wrong. The books have it's flaws but i still loved it and enjoyed every second of reading the book. I did read a few books before twilight but not seriously and they were few and far in between. After reading twillight, the literary aspect of my life was changed forever.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

For me, it was the Enid Blyton books like the famous five and the secret seven series. I loved and still enjoy reading those books.
vblackstone
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by vblackstone »

I can't remember a time when I didn't love to read. There are two books that stand out in my memory: On The Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder and Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. by Judy Blume. I think I read every book I could get my hands on by both authors. I haven't stopped reading since. I enjoy legal thrillers (ex. John Grisham), suspense/horror (ex. Stephen King, Dean Koontz), and historical romance (ex. Mary Balogh) the most but am not adverse to a good biography (loved the story of Ozzy Osbourne), general fiction, or reading for knowledge.
ballisticrenegade
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ballisticrenegade.html

Post by ballisticrenegade »

I've been reading since I was little. I had hardcover copies of Magic Tree House books, by Mary Pope Osborne, that were my prized possessions. And for every school book report I'd dress as Junie B. Jones, by Barbara Park. I had nearly every book from both these series' when I was growing up.
Lins Pens
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Lins Pens »

First of all, I didn't like to read until college and then it was sparse untiil grad school. I would say that Belva Plain (Evergreen) started me to loving to read. However, the stent of reading that I can't stop was probably JK Rowling (of course) and Stephanie Meyers with Twilight. My genres have evolved a little but not a tremendous amount. However, I am very thankful I found these GREAT authors!
reenuj

Post by reenuj »

I have always loved reading. I started with Enid Blyton. I started with the Secret Seven and moved on to the Famous Five.
Reader 23

Post by Reader 23 »

Jeff Kennedy I might be young but who nose kid books better than a tween
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

John Saul started me off on novels. Once I read one, I stole the rest from my mom and was addicted to reading. I was about 12 at the time
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
JessPT14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesspt14.html

Post by JessPT14 »

I was never into reading - in elementary school I was actually almost held back because of my difficulty with reading. However, once I got into grad school, with my crazy schedule it was impossible to keep up with any new TV programs and I was getting bored with re-runs... so with that I started reading. Nothing significant until I read the Hunger Games trilogy in 3 days. From that point on, I have not stopped! So I would have to give credit to Suzanne Collins for pulling me in and starting my hobby with reading.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

Can't go wrong with Harry Potter! JK Rowling was where it all began for me. From there I branched out into more YA books like Percy Jackson, Hunger Games, Divergent, etc. I was totally obsessed for so long and finally decided that it was time to try other books, and now, here I am!
TQC
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by TQC »

Rick Riordan, Percy Jackson series. I started reading when I was about 12. I was so awe stricken by how amazing a book could be. I reread the series about 5 times, scared to start something else because "how could anything be remotely close to the greatness of this book"? Finally I was convinced to try a new series and since then, I am constantly disproving my young, naive belief that nothing could top Percy Jackson. I love books now and am still amazed today about how infinite the possibilities are for new, amazing stories
Martina_Reads
Currently Reading: Mindfulness
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-reads.html

Post by Martina_Reads »

I'm really dating myself, but Marguerite Henry,who wrote Misty of Chincoteague and other similar works, opened up a wonderful world for me. I now live in Virginia and I plan to go for the Chincoteague Pony Swim,
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Eric Carle and Richard Scarry from a very young age. Patricia Cornwell in middle school and the list goes on.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
sanchia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanchia.html

Post by sanchia »

For me it was J.K. Rowling. I started with Harry Potter and then it just all started.

Return to “Discuss Authors”