Young Adult Book Discussion

For March 2017 we will be reading Young Adult books.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Young Adult Book Discussion

Post by kio »

What genre did your read fall under? What made it different than other adult books you read in that genre? Would you recommend it? Why or Why Not?

-- 11 Mar 2017, 17:36 --

For March, I read Caraval by Stephanie Garber.

Scarlett has never left her tiny island. To try and escape from her marriage and abusive father, her sister, Tella arranges for them to go to the Island of Dream to participate in a game called Caraval. When they get there, however, the game's creator, Legend, kidnaps Tella and makes her the prize for the winner. Now Scarlett must play the game to save her sister. As her family's past and the legend behind Caraval get revealed, Scarlett starts to wonder if it is really a game. Can she save her sister?

This book is an action-packed supernatural fantasy adventure. I haven't read a lot of adult books, but I would guess it's different mainly because the content focuses mostly on the developing of the plot over characters. Character act like typical teenagers and see the world as such. I would definitely recommend this book. I couldn't put it down and would give it 5 out of 5 stars.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

That sounds pretty cool! The plot sounds great. One of the books I read this month was Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes and I would definitely recommend the entire series. That was just the second book, but it's a promising series. It falls under the young adult genre but it could also be fantasy. The series is about 3 different kingdoms in the land of Mytica and how they are all connected through a bloodthirsty king. It's full of action and unexpected twists and turns. 5 out of 5 stars as well.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

A review and a sock knitting competition have gotten in the way of me starting a YA book. It I have a few in my list I'd like to reread.

My list: (not at home so I don't have all the author names)
A College of Magic - a teenager goes to a boarding school and finds out whether or not magic actually exists
Sabriel by Garth Nix - teenaged necromancer
The Seventh Tower - a series about a boy in a world where they use light as magic. Certain colors of magic are based on social class and skill
Harry Potter - I haven't read the series since the last book came out
Sandry's Book by Tamara Pierce - pretty sure I spelled the title wrong. The first book in a series about 4 misfit children who find out they have magic.

I think I'm noticing a theme for myself. :P
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

kio wrote:What genre did your read fall under? What made it different than other adult books you read in that genre? Would you recommend it? Why or Why Not?

-- 11 Mar 2017, 17:36 --

For March, I read Caraval by Stephanie Garber.

Scarlett has never left her tiny island. To try and escape from her marriage and abusive father, her sister, Tella arranges for them to go to the Island of Dream to participate in a game called Caraval. When they get there, however, the game's creator, Legend, kidnaps Tella and makes her the prize for the winner. Now Scarlett must play the game to save her sister. As her family's past and the legend behind Caraval get revealed, Scarlett starts to wonder if it is really a game. Can she save her sister?

This book is an action-packed supernatural fantasy adventure. I haven't read a lot of adult books, but I would guess it's different mainly because the content focuses mostly on the developing of the plot over characters. Character act like typical teenagers and see the world as such. I would definitely recommend this book. I couldn't put it down and would give it 5 out of 5 stars.
Sounds good. I think I will read it for this month.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Sabriel has been recommended to me so I am going to try that next. Apparently there's about 5 in the series so that should keep me busy.
Good YA doesn't have to be all teenage angst, I'm in my 20s and I enjoy Maggie Steifvater's work, as well as Stephenie Meyer's The Host, which was meant to be her adult novel but unfortunately wasn't marketed as such. That's a very good book.

-- 22 Mar 2017, 14:10 --

Sabriel has been recommended to me so I am going to try that next. Apparently there's about 5 in the series so that should keep me busy.
Good YA doesn't have to be all teenage angst, I'm in my 20s and I enjoy Maggie Steifvater's work, as well as Stephenie Meyer's The Host, which was meant to be her adult novel but unfortunately wasn't marketed as such. That's a very good book.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Sabriel was a great book :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:Sabriel has been recommended to me so I am going to try that next. Apparently there's about 5 in the series so that should keep me busy.
I thought there were only three books! I'm super excited to hear there may be more, I love the series.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:Sabriel has been recommended to me so I am going to try that next. Apparently there's about 5 in the series so that should keep me busy.

-- 22 Mar 2017, 14:10 --

I loved Sabriel and The Host.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I really wish there was a sequel to the host, I wasn't ready to let go of the characters or the world. Is it YA though? The characters are adult and it deals with difficult issues, I've no idea what defines YA anymore.

With regards to Sabriel, I think the two newer novels are prequels to the original trilogy.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I actually never heard of Sabriel. What is it about?

During this month, I read The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman by Brady Stefani. It is about this fifteen-year-old girl who is just trying to be an average teenager. However, what makes her different is the fact that aliens come to visit her. Question is - is she really being visited by aliens or is she mentally unstable?

This was a YA, as well as, a sort of psychological thriller. The fact that the author kept me guessing for most of the book about the young girl's mental stability makes this read very different from YA that I've read before. Also, there isn't any romance/love interest here, which was a nice change.

Aside from some grammatical issues, I did feel the end was a bit rushed and at one point confusing. But, overall I rate it a 3/4 stars, and would recommend it to those who would like to read a YA that'll keep you guessing!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Hsimone - I'm not actually sure what Sabriel is all about, but it was sold to me by a trusted friend as; magic, lots of death and great characters :D
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

The quick and dirty: Sabriel is about a teenager who is sent away from the "Old Kingdom" to go to school in the "Southern Kingdom" (those might not be the kingdom names, it's been a while). Sabriel's father is a necromancer in the Old Kingdom and when she gets the message that he is in trouble Sabriel leaves school to go save him.
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Thanks Gnome. Did you read all of them?
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Gingerbo0ks and Gnome! This sounds like a series that I could easily get into. I'll have to check it out!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gnome

Post by Gnome »

Gingerbo0ks, I've only read the first three books and like vex them all. The second book, Lariel, was my favorite. She's a librarian who later gets involved with the magic stuff.

Return to “March 2017 Genre Discussion”