Overall Rating and Opinion of "Superhighway"

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall Rating and Opinion of "Superhighway"

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the June 2017 Book of the Month,"Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.

What is your overall opinion of "Superhighway"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm more interested to see what other's thought about this book. It's an interesting concept, but I got stuck about halfway through. I'm literally at about 50%, and I just don't have much of a desire to finish. It's not bad; I guess it just didn't capture my attention.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I loved the concept of the book because it was about a guy who plays a digital Robin Hood. I was a little confused with the whole explanation on how he received his special ability. So that was probably my least favorite part. If I had to rate it, I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I love, love the book and according to my review - I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I guess my favourite part is the part when the girl that he took on a really fancy first date dies. That part could have been more gruesome but it did have a huge impact on the main character so I saw it as a shift in the whole story.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

kandscreeley wrote:I'm more interested to see what other's thought about this book. It's an interesting concept, but I got stuck about halfway through. I'm literally at about 50%, and I just don't have much of a desire to finish. It's not bad; I guess it just didn't capture my attention.
I kept going because I was interested in the concept and also how he got the ability to digitally travel because of what happened to his father. However, I can understand how you got stuck and had no desire to finish it. Outside of what I mentioned, the book does bog down in a lot of unnecessary detail. For example, I got tired of the number of times he gave an entire list of what he ate during a meal. I hope these problems are a symptom that this is the first book of a trilogy and that the plot points I found interesting will be expanded in the second book.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Spirit Wandering wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:I'm more interested to see what other's thought about this book. It's an interesting concept, but I got stuck about halfway through. I'm literally at about 50%, and I just don't have much of a desire to finish. It's not bad; I guess it just didn't capture my attention.
I kept going because I was interested in the concept and also how he got the ability to digitally travel because of what happened to his father. However, I can understand how you got stuck and had no desire to finish it. Outside of what I mentioned, the book does bog down in a lot of unnecessary detail. For example, I got tired of the number of times he gave an entire list of what he ate during a meal. I hope these problems are a symptom that this is the first book of a trilogy and that the plot points I found interesting will be expanded in the second book.
I think that was definitely part of it. Too much detail. I also think, for me, I had trouble identifying with Alex. If I can't identify with a character and he's the narrator, that doesn't really make me want to continue.
—Neil Gaiman
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Honestly, I just read the sample pages of this book. With the customers' positive comments, I believe it is safe to rate it 4 out of 4 stars because I also find the sample pages perfect.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
gali

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Honestly, I just read the sample pages of this book. With the customers' positive comments, I believe it is safe to rate it 4 out of 4 stars because I also find the sample pages perfect.
I don't think one should rate a book he didn't read based on the sample.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ctravis01
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctravis01.html

Post by ctravis01 »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Honestly, I just read the sample pages of this book. With the customers' positive comments, I believe it is safe to rate it 4 out of 4 stars because I also find the sample pages perfect.
I too only read the sample pages. The first chapter was a bit hard for me to follow. It was easier after that. The author definitely has a way with bringing words to life but this isn't the typical genre I read. I was surprised about a couple of spelling and punctuation errors, especially considering the author's mastery of language. I'm interested in finishing the book based on how well I liked the sample. It is a very creative story.

-- 03 Jun 2017, 17:09 --
I agree digital time travel is an amazingly interesting concept. I only read the sample though. I'm interested in finishing the book but I'm curious about why you lost the desire to finish it. Is the sample much better than the following chapters?
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I read the book and didn't find it to be a great one. The main reasons were I didn't see any character development, the plot was unfocused toward the last half of the book, and there weren't really any good themes. Overall, I gave it a 2 out of 4 stars, so kandscreeley, I understand where you're coming from.

My favorite part was learning about Alex's childhood. My least favorite was what I mentioned above. In general, I wasn't a fan of this read and I don't see myself continuing the series.

-- 04 Jun 2017, 08:21 --
gali wrote:
I don't think one should rate a book he didn't read based on the sample.
I agree with gali. Samples of books are not real indicators of how books turn out overall.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I do agree with you guys that there really wasn't any character development. He still stayed the same person from beginning to the end. Even when something traumatic happened, it didn't change him and he even seemed to stop caring at one point. I know that there is a second book. Hopefully, the things that Alex experiences or causes start to change his character.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

I loved this story! It was difficult to get into at first, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I've even started reading the second one in the trilogy (although I think I like the first one better, so far). I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The concept is intriguing, the suspense is sufficient to draw me through the book, and there is a good vs. evil theme. In some ways the story reminds me of the TV series Quantum Leap, with the unexpected arrivals in unknown locations. I highly recommend it for fantasy/sci-fi fans.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
gali

Post by gali »

I finished it the other day and enjoyed it overall. The beginning of the book started off slow, but things improved as the story unfolded. The premise was brilliant, but the protagonist was lacking to put it gently. I liked Alex at first, but changed my mind about him as the story progressed. I thought him shallow, immature, and right down stupid for times. Stealing a fancy watch from a gangster and wearing it in public?? Really?? How stupid can one act?? Some of his other acts weren't that smart, either. Yes, I know he is only 18, but still. Most of his acts consisted of stealing, planning his next theft, drinking alcohol, smoking grass (too much of it), and fornicating with girls he met along the way. It was good that he helped others, but he spent too much on himself. I didn't like his overuse of drugs and alcohol (not a good message for kids), nor did I like the cliffhanger ending. Saying that, I loved the idea of a digitalized Robin Hood and the way Alex used the wires to travel abroad or get info. The tale kept my interest from beginning to end, so I decided to give it 3 out of 4 stars.
A retired Admin/Mod

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I guess it just seemed to repetitive to me among other things. After I read about half of the book of the same cycle over and over, I thought how much more can I read of the same cycle? I don't know... To each his own.
—Neil Gaiman
gali

Post by gali »

kandscreeley wrote:I guess it just seemed to repetitive to me among other things. After I read about half of the book of the same cycle over and over, I thought how much more can I read of the same cycle? I don't know... To each his own.
I agree with you that first part was a bit repetitive. The second part was better.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”