Does anyone know of a really good grammar and spell checker that I can use

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Re: Does anyone know of a really good grammar and spell checker that I can use

Post by love_b00ks »

I am also trying to write a book, thanks for the suggestions here, I will give Grammarly a try.
ChimayoPress
Favorite Author: Toni Aberon
Favorite Book: Beautiful Losers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
fav_author_id: 156553

Post by ChimayoPress »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 21:30 Use grammarly thats the only one I can recommend you in online grammar check
As an English teacher who works an elite private university with many international students, I share your very positive impression of Grammarly. While it does automatically flag the passive voice and often fails to recognize many specialized technical terms, it's still the best and most flexible editing software I've found so far. It's also quite easy to use.

Of course, it does not help in detecting tone or nuance problems but that goes beyond the reasonable expectations for a grammar software program.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

I have used Ginger with Google Chrome. It has a good spell checker. Its grammar checker doesn't seem as robust a Grammarly.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

jgraney8 wrote: 09 May 2018, 22:29 I have used Ginger with Google Chrome. It has a good spell checker. Its grammar checker doesn't seem as robust a Grammarly.
If it's not as robust as Grammarly, then Grammarly might be a better option. You want to use something that will catch the majority of errors.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I think I will follow your advice here and use grammarly too. I had started using a proofreading bot and never got any luck. I would really life to save myself the 40 grammar marks on my review.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I also tried grammarly but just the free one, however, I was not totally convinced because it points out mistakes that are not really wrong. I am not sure though if the paid one is really a lot better but just take the suggestions with a grain of salt at all times. :)
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I just read an article that made a list of grammar and spell checking online options that are free. I haven't tried all of them yet.
Essaytools.com
Grammarbase.clm
Grammrcheck.com
Grammarlookup.com
Gregory's Writing Site
Hemingway Editor
Nounplus
Onlinecorrection.com
Onlinespellcheck.com
Sentencechecker.com
Virtualwritingtutor

All of them do not have to be downloaded and are free. They also have premium options. I haven't tried them all out yet do I am unsure of how helpful they are per situation.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Mounce574 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 07:59 I just read an article that made a list of grammar and spell checking online options that are free. I haven't tried all of them yet.
Essaytools.com
Grammarbase.com
Grammarcheck.com
Grammarlookup.com
Gregory's Writing Site
Hemingway Editor
Nounplus
Onlinecorrection.com
Onlinespellcheck.com
Sentencechecker.com
Virtualwritingtutor

All of them do not have to be downloaded and are free. They also have premium options. I haven't tried them all out yet do I am unsure of how helpful they are per situation.
Update:
I found Hemingway Editor to be the best checker. It will catch passive voice, run-on sentences, redundant words, and a lot more. The catch is you cannot change anything on the online page. But from what I figure is that for the overall quality of a review you can make revisions to what it points out.

Nounplus actually uses Grammarly's site and I found it to be frustrating.

Grammarlookup and VirtualwritingTutor will explain why and what changes would be better.

Overall, after using any of these, read your review out loud and make sure your formatting is correct in the Preview tab before submitting as a final review. I have seen a significant increase in my editorial analysis scores since I started doing this.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

Microsoft word, Grammarly, Scribens are some of them. They pick up basic spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes but I don't think anything could replace someone checking it personally.
slowpoke123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slowpoke123.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by slowpoke123 »

I would recommend Virtual Writing Tutor and Grammarly (free). Although these can only detect basic errors in your review, it's a big help already if you try and proofread your work again.
AJ_Drenda
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-drenda.html
Latest Review: Land of Kings by Virginia Weldon

Post by AJ_Drenda »

KRay93 wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 15:16 The most efficient ones are premium, unfortunately. Grammarly, in its free version, works quite well. It has detected some errors that others failed to spot. I could replace some of the premium mode's functions with Scribens. You do have to remember that not all the things that these software highlights are necessarily wrong, but between them, my own knowledge, and some websites such as wordreference and macmillandictionary, I can build some pretty satisfactory texts in English.
Scribens? I have to check this one! I've been using Grammarly for a few years now and it does a good job with word choices and convoluted sentences. It' not bad with commas, but not ideal.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

I'm curious about this as well. I always type my reviews in Word first, correct any mistakes, and then run it through Scribens. But on my most recent review I was penalized for having commas where they didn't belong, and not having them where they were needed. Scribens said it was good, and even suggested some of those commas. Is it not a reliable checker anymore? If not, are there any recommendations other than Grammarly? I'd like to improve my scores so I'm trying to find the best way to do so. Thanks!!!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Initially I dismissed Grammarly because it requires a registration and installing a plugin in your browser, so I found it a bit invasive. After a review that required more work than usual because it was a book different from what I usually read, I was left with a few errors that other checkers didn't get and I didn't get, so the score wasn't good. At that point, I decided to try Grammarly, and I have to admit that I should have done it earlier as even the free version is really good. Still, don't rely on online checkers only!
Ciao :)
Massimo
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I like prowritingaid.com. It has a free version that has worked well for me. It also has different reports that you can run to check attributes such as sentence length and sticky (wordy) sentences. As NetMassimo said, don’t rely on online checkers only.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

I use grammarly but still the errors are still there. I also have no idea which one to use. Grammarly helps a lot though. I have downloaded the app on my phone and it helps me mend my major errors.

Return to “International Grammar”