Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Use this forum to discuss the May 2018 Book of the Month, "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson

Post by ea_anthony »

Wow, I just read Gary Robinson's letter (Topic of the month forum - May) and I can't wait to move this book to currently reading on my shelf.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I’m with everyone else on here who is commenting about the lack of sensitivity in terms of the depictions of many of the disabled circus characters. That being said, I really enjoyed this book! I liked the bigger life messages both Duke and Gary had to offer through their experiences, and I also thoroughly enjoyed the comic relief scattered liberally throughout. I overall recommend this book!
Mir H S Quadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mir-h-s-quadri.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mir H S Quadri »

azerikaj wrote: 01 May 2018, 14:51 When I read it before, I liked about half of it.(I will read it again, before the end of the month, just in case I felt as though it was my job as a reviewer to be Queen of the Hardasses or something.) I was sort of offended by the stereotype of the innocent disabled characters that always show up to show both these guys What Really Matters in life, though. Gag.
Would you say this book was stereotypical in theme overall or did you just find certain segments in it to be offensive?
bukworm543
Currently Reading: The Art of Rest
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by bukworm543 »

holsam_87 wrote: 01 May 2018, 20:40 I come from a fairly small community, so most of what Duke and Gary experienced seems unfathomable. Overall I did enjoy the book, but because I am State Certified Home Care Aide, it felt that the portrayal of the disabled individuals to be insensitive. I get that most of the book was going to be way beyond my own scope of experience, but I just think that the portrayal could have been different. Unless the view was meant to reflect how society viewed disabled individuals, in the certain timeline then I guess I can understand to a point.
Thanks for sharing your perspective! I believe that if we are ever going to make progress as a society, we must learn to respect people with disabilities and treat them better. It is unfortunate that the author was insensitive in the depiction of those characters.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

The book is definitely going to be triller, and at the same time a book that gives value to readers for the time they spend in reading the story. Well, as for me, the reviews I read convinced me to give it a full rating.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

bukworm543 wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 13:39
holsam_87 wrote: 01 May 2018, 20:40 I come from a fairly small community, so most of what Duke and Gary experienced seems unfathomable. Overall I did enjoy the book, but because I am State Certified Home Care Aide, it felt that the portrayal of the disabled individuals to be insensitive. I get that most of the book was going to be way beyond my own scope of experience, but I just think that the portrayal could have been different. Unless the view was meant to reflect how society viewed disabled individuals, in the certain timeline then I guess I can understand to a point.
Thanks for sharing your perspective! I believe that if we are ever going to make progress as a society, we must learn to respect people with disabilities and treat them better. It is unfortunate that the author was insensitive in the depiction of those characters.
Yes, that's for sure. Treating individuals with developmental disabilities like children is called Ableism. I noticed that a lot, but I think it was pretty common in the decades past.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

Not just in the past, really. But my intent wasn't to get into all of that.
Sometimes it can be hard to separate a character's perspective from what the author thinks, also, but if the author didn't see things the same way as Chico did, he could have provided a counterpoint in some way. I thought all of the supporting characters were somewhat poorly developed, though.
history100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-history100.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by history100 »

With so many great books to read I don't feel bad giving up on this one. The cover may be the best part - you have to pick it up and see what's inside. I know this is a first-time author so I give him (not the book) 4 out of 4 stars for his hard work and dedication but I will wait for his next book.
VickiJ

I have my books and my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony-martial-tata.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Anthony Martial Tata »

I have not actually read the book. I don't know what it entails and giving it a rating would thus be difficult.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

I am so intrigued by this book, there seems to be varying opinions and I like that :) Will let you know what I think! xxxx
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:

I started reading the book recently. So far so good, I'm enjoying the content therein. It's a great review.
msomigreat
Currently Reading: Abducted
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msomigreat.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by msomigreat »

i would give the book a 3 out of 4 rating. i like the way the author explores different cultures in a multicultural society and also prefer the way the issue of self-reliance is emphasized.
Alick Sandy
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:

There is a proper character development in the book. To me that's a shows maturity in the author's skills.
Iviss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iviss.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Iviss »

The book is interesting to read. It is about stereotypes and personalities, as well as the problems in the society, such as drug overdose. The characters are well-developed, although I had the impression that not all of them are related to each other. Generally speaking, it is a good read, and I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Anthony Martial Tata
Currently Reading:

I enjoyed the book. There is a smooth flowing storyline and maturity in characters development. I would rate it at 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson”