Technological advancements

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Technological advancements

Post by ea_anthony »

Bianka Walter wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 03:24
ea_anthony wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 17:52 Just 20 years ago, I wonder the looks I would have gotten trying to describe OBC and that members ,(located all over the globe) would be able to discuss realtime and wait for it using our phones! Impossible to imagine this in 1998. As at 2003 (15 years ago) there was no Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Instagram and definitely no snapchat.
In 40 years time anything is possible with technology;Time travel, Colonies on Mars, Bionic upgrades and whatever we see then.
It is amazing what we have achieved in such a short amount of time. It's quite exciting to see what we develop in the next few years.
The Elon Musks of this world and the thousands of less attention seeking innovators are there to ensure we are surprised. I have read snippets of Alvin Toffler's Third Wave (published in 1980), he had a good idea of how technology would shape the future (our present). Moore's law about chip capacity doubling in size every year or two can also explains the exponential growth in technology growing over the years and into the future.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
bluesky5_
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluesky5.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bluesky5_ »

I see technology making leaps and bounds into the future...we have REAL robots patrolling the halls of the Veteran's hospital and various other places. There are articles that I have read on line that are saying electric cars will very likely be the main form of transportation and this will be the ultimate solution to no more traffic jams, less accidents, and yes, a cleaner environment. Wow! Won't that be utopia???
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

bluesky5_ wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 19:41 I see technology making leaps and bounds into the future...we have REAL robots patrolling the halls of the Veteran's hospital and various other places. There are articles that I have read on line that are saying electric cars will very likely be the main form of transportation and this will be the ultimate solution to no more traffic jams, less accidents, and yes, a cleaner environment. Wow! Won't that be utopia???
Well, many European countries have placed bans on diesel-fueled cars to be implemented in the near future. The emissions from diesel fuel have had far-reaching bad effects, and the countries have started to think more about the planet than the wants of the people. Kudos to them!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sam_jennifer_may »

Artificial Intelligence is advancing more and more. If you had asked someone 10 years ago if technology we have now was possible they would likely had said no. It’s hard to predict the technological advancements that are possible as every discovery strengthens and quickens these advancements. There is also likely technology that we are unaware of. I don’t think it would be far fetched to see some form of AI robot operating in the next 10 years.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

ea_anthony wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 18:20
Bianka Walter wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 03:24
ea_anthony wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 17:52 Just 20 years ago, I wonder the looks I would have gotten trying to describe OBC and that members ,(located all over the globe) would be able to discuss realtime and wait for it using our phones! Impossible to imagine this in 1998. As at 2003 (15 years ago) there was no Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Instagram and definitely no snapchat.
In 40 years time anything is possible with technology;Time travel, Colonies on Mars, Bionic upgrades and whatever we see then.
It is amazing what we have achieved in such a short amount of time. It's quite exciting to see what we develop in the next few years.
The Elon Musks of this world and the thousands of less attention seeking innovators are there to ensure we are surprised. I have read snippets of Alvin Toffler's Third Wave (published in 1980), he had a good idea of how technology would shape the future (our present). Moore's law about chip capacity doubling in size every year or two can also explains the exponential growth in technology growing over the years and into the future.
Let's also not forget that the AI race is on. In 2017 The UAE appointed a Minister of Artificial Intelligence and they plan to build a colony on Mars by 2117. In my home country, the commercial banks have all started launching AI assistants on call 24/7.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 781
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I actually foresee all the technological advancements in the near future. Especially Rex and the crafty airship, Chrome wind. Take a look around, scientists are are advancing technology every day.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

ValBookReviews wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 23:07 I actually foresee all the technological advancements in the near future. Especially Rex and the crafty airship, Chrome wind. Take a look around, scientists are are advancing technology every day.
Can you imagine going to work in the Chrome Wind, being accommodated by Rex, and hearing silly jokes by Frankin all day? Goodness my brain doesn't stretch that far. But I agree - it will happen. We just need to be eased into it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

In 40 years anything can happen. There might be an A.I. that can do all of those things. Scary.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

Forty years is such a long time for technology to advance beyond our predictions. Just a couple of years back, the mobile phone was only for text and voice, today it's a little computer on you palm.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 14:08
Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 13:03
Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 12:59

So, yes. If you compare where we were 40 years ago, ANYTHING is possible. We didn't even have internet then. I mean, how did we function?? I agree with the technology being close... but I wonder how close to actually having working, intelligent prototypes.
It's definitely hard to say how close anyone is without anyone actually coming out and saying "We've done this thing!" Personally, I think the ball for technology just keeps rolling faster and faster. Just looking at how much it's progressed in the last 20, 10, or even 5 years is insane to think about. It's an interesting topic to think about and debate about though.
I would love to see into the future. And you're so right, we actually know zip about what's really happening with regards to the real technological 'eurekas' of the world. I'll meet you back here in 10 years :wink:
Right! Wouldn't that be wild to come back in 10 years and read our responses! Ha! We would probably laugh and say, "What were we thinking?" or "How did we even survive doing everything by ourselves through just wifi, VR, etc, etc..." It would definitely be interesting! :-)
json2500
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by json2500 »

I think our personal life is highly dependent on the technology that people have developed. Technology has advanced with years and it has changed the way we purchase products, the way we live, the way we communicate, the way we travel, the way we learn and so many changes have been brought about by these continuous technological advancements. A good example is the ”Mobile Phone”, the type of mobile phones we had in 1995 is no longer on demand in this century, the demands of mobile phone users have changed greatly, and this has resulted in the advancement of mobile phone technologies.

Users of mobile phones demand simplicity and more functionality, which has forced mobile phone manufactures to develop computer minded smartphones, which are so easy to use, but also they come with more functionality compared to the type of mobile phones we used to have in the past.

Technological advancements have helped businesses and organizations save time and cost of production, which has been an advantage to all business, they manage these advancements to gain competitive advantage. A good example is the 3G / 4G broadband, small businesses have taken advantage of this super fast internet to reach target markets with fewer costs of operation.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

I suspect that there already exists technology that we had never even dreamed of. It's probably being used in some underground base somewhere.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Book Bear wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 11:02 I suspect that there already exists technology that we had never even dreamed of. It's probably being used in some underground base somewhere.
Absolutely! LIke an area 51 for technological advancements. Sigh, the thought just screams 'epic end of the world' movie.
- Dr. Seuss
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3053
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The onboard computer is possible but the level of artificial intelligence it has is uncertain. I do not think that a robot will be able to lie as the way Agent Silver was able to pull Franklin into it. He was to conceal any traces of the presence of Kelly.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3053
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Book Bear wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 11:02 I suspect that there already exists technology that we had never even dreamed of. It's probably being used in some underground base somewhere.
:D :D :D This is thought-provoking. It might be a reality. Some things get to the public eye after a very long time.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”