What might have happened if Kelly did not come into the picture?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: What might have happened if Kelly did not come into the picture?

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I am actually not quite sure much would have been different. Agent Kelly was only used as a catalyst for what to me seemed like something that was bound to happen.
AngharadB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angharadb.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by AngharadB »

I think Kelly represented a way for Silver to embrace changes. Without that he would have developed differently.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think that without Kelly, Sliver would have gone through with the suicide. Before Kelly, he had no one else to talk to except Franklin. After completing his own private mission, he would have had no desire to keep living. Kelly opened up a whole new perspective for Sliver. She contradicted him, insulted him, challenged him. But, she also gave him hope. That hope came to life and made his realize there are other things in life than revenge.
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

CatlynnHighlights wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 16:34 Kelly was the tipping point that changed Sliver from a robotic person who followed orders, to one that thought for himself.
Nice point
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Kelly played a very vital role in Agent Silver's life.Without Kelly, I don't think Silver's story would have been complete. All the same,I agree that the story would have continued in her absence.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

booklysis wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 09:47 All characters maintain a particular importance. I think in absence of Kelly the story would have stopped. Maybe the story could be pulled further but it wouldn't be interesting.
This is very true. All the characters in any work serve a particular purpose, even those minor characters that do not always serve a big role. It is true that things might not have remained the same if Kelly had not come into picture.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I doubt if the story would have been the same without Kelly. It might have continued but things would not remain the same and the author would definitely have not attained his intended purpose for writing the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Cher432 wrote: 25 Aug 2018, 13:19 I am actually not quite sure much would have been different. Agent Kelly was only used as a catalyst for what to me seemed like something that was bound to happen.
I think that what happened was only because Kelly was in the picture. Otherwise, it would have proved hard to initiate something that would not have been brought to fruition.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

CatlynnHighlights wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 16:34 Kelly was the tipping point that changed Sliver from a robotic person who followed orders, to one that thought for himself.
Wow, this is definitely true. I support this totally. Her role can be like a tip of a submerged iceberg but the impact was very enormous. It was felt throughout the story.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
WendyNorth
Currently Reading: My Author Is Dead
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendynorth.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by WendyNorth »

StarkidStarling wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 15:14 That's an interesting question. I didn't think she added any value to the novel, but it probably would have turned out different if she was not a part of it. I'm sure Sliver would have had a mental breakdown over something else at a later point in time, but he may have done a lot more damage without her.
I agree with you. I think with or without Kelly, Sliver would have eventually flipped out or just kept doing missions until he met his demise.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

WendyNorth wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 11:05
StarkidStarling wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 15:14 That's an interesting question. I didn't think she added any value to the novel, but it probably would have turned out different if she was not a part of it. I'm sure Sliver would have had a mental breakdown over something else at a later point in time, but he may have done a lot more damage without her.
I agree with you. I think with or without Kelly, Sliver would have eventually flipped out or just kept doing missions until he met his demise.
I agree. I think for all intents and purposes, Kelly was actually the starting point of this story. Without her, Sliver would have gone on as per usual. And that would have made for a very boring book...
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip »

Without Kelly maybe Agent Silver could have not come back to his sense, in my opinion Kelly played an important part in the novel.
Melkid
Favorite Book: Run
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melkid.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Melkid »

Kelly is a pivotal character in the story. She reawakens his humanity and emotions, especially as he tries to protect her and reach her about the world. She also ties into the Freedom theme as he offers her the option to be setup in the Registry and live a “regular” life.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Kelly's role in teaching us the history we missed may have been handled in a different way, but I have to say I liked the way the author did this. In the question of Kelly's presence making Sliver more human...well, he had already saved the Shredders and gone to the trouble to find and then transport them to safe location. That would be an interesting story, too. My point being, though, that Sliver had already showed humanity by doing that. Kelly may have helped, but Sliver already had a good start.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

So the real question is what exactly did Kelly do to cause the shift in his attitude. I don't think she was a cause, rather she was a final straw so to say, I think he was close to breaking soon and she gave him some direction, so yes he would've caused more damage without her. She doesn't seem like a catalyst to me.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”