Do you enjoy books that shift narrative modes?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rei72
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you enjoy books that shift narrative modes?

Post by Rei72 »

I enjoy books that shift narratives. So I agree with crazy4chocolate on how it gives a story more depth...sometimes it is a challenge, but it is also rewarding to me...CLOUD ATLAS was the one that came to mind...GONE GIRL was great and flowed easily which made it easy to follow...I didn't want it to end!
mhjames

Post by mhjames »

I agree with what most others are saying here. It can be interesting, but the most important thing is CLARITY. If it's confusing then it's bad, if it's clear and adds to the story then it's good. Maybe that doesn't help much, but I don't know what more to say about that. Like so many things in writing (and life) a lot of people want to say there are "rules" but usually they are just guidelines that can be very successfully bended or broken.

Interesting question.
read4fun

Post by read4fun »

Switching the POV part way through a book can be confusing, but if it makes sense and is written well, go for it. I enjoy when authors tell the story from the point of view of multiple characters, and George R. R. Martin is superb at this in his "A Song of Ice and Fire"
Armada Volya
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-armada-volya.html

Post by Armada Volya »

I have no problem with it. Some of my favorite books are like that. Be it switching from pov of one character to another or third omniscient, as long as it's wel written, I have no problem with it.
A24

Post by A24 »

Like most everyone is saying - I don't mind as long as it is done well and doesn't take away from the flow of the story.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I really enjoy it as I like knowing how different character's are feeling about the narrative. I like to know what their perspectives are on the events that are happening.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
Carterwyang
Favorite Author: Darren Shan
Favorite Book: Cirque Du Freak
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carterwyang.html
fav_author_id: 5233

Post by Carterwyang »

Well if the switching of the narrative modes doesn't confuse me the yes, I have no particular preference, but that's just my view, because there are persons out there as you already said that will consider switching narrative modes to be an unforgivable sin lol, especially if the story gets confusing.
DBR Books
Favorite Author: Joanna Trolloppe
Favorite Book: The Rectors Wife
Currently Reading: Waking Up Married
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbr-books.html
Latest Review: "Lance's Travels" by Lance Leuven

Post by DBR Books »

Hi Everyone, I'm new here. Yes I enjoy books that shift narrative modes - it gives depth to the reading. I usually review ya fiction and I came across one that had four narratives - add complexity to the read but it was good! Book: Mother Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick.
Latest Review: "Lance's Travels" by Lance Leuven
frenchrose50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenchrose50.html

Post by frenchrose50 »

Generally I don't mind it at all as long as the author possess enough talent to make sure it doesn't become too confusing. When I have seen it in books, mostly (but not always) it really helps in giving extra perspective and detail to the overall story.
bknight47
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Favorite Book: Red Dragon Thomas Harris
Currently Reading: It Worked For Me Colin Powell
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by bknight47 »

If it is done properly, and the book is well written, not at all...B
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I agree that it depends on the author, his/her purpose and sometimes degree of talent or structure or anyway his having some idea of where he is going with this!

It does help to feel like you are inside the head of more than one character, and unless there are way too many, I like being able to understand the motives and heart of the characters.

It is also true that changing voice or letting someone else tell part of the story can be confusing and even off putting if the author lets someone talk that he doesn't know well enough himself!!!

BTW I read the first two pages of Gone Girl and managed to put it down, but now you have me thinking I should go back and try again.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Tusc2000

Post by Tusc2000 »

Switching the POV is disruptive. It has to be handled very carefully.
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

I do, depends... if the scene consists more of dialogues.... :)
darcyb123
Favorite Author: Amy Tan
Favorite Book: The Far Pavilions
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darcyb123.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 3701

Post by darcyb123 »

It depends on the writer. I think it can be a very effective method if kept clear. I usually enjoy it very much as it adds another level of interest to the book.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

C. S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

In "One Good Dog" they shift by chapter between the man and the dog. It's tricky but in that book it works perfectly.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”