Is this book suitable for all believers?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Anju_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anju-9.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Re: Is this book suitable for all believers?

Post by Anju_9 »

I don't think this book has given any opinion in the religious field. It deals with spiritual awakening, and the author stayed on the neutral ground. He kept his opinion clear and to the point, and I didn't find any sentence that threatened any belief; he just shared his thoughts and opinion.
Enigma44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma44.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Enigma44 »

Thanks for posing this question. I was wondering the same as I was reading the book. I was curious what believers of different religions would think of Haight’s philosophy. It is interesting to read the range of responses. Since Haight encourages his readers to put their beliefs aside, I thought there would be a negative response from religious people. It turns out I was wrong which makes me glad.
GiannaS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giannas.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by GiannaS »

God comes with many faces, as many as the people on Earth. The author acknowledges the presence of God in this form, as an Entity unbound to a specific religion.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I have always been fascinated with what other people believe and how they celebrate their religions/faith/spiritual path; so, I loved his book and found it to be very non-threatening. There are always ideas that will "ring true"- that you can incorporate into your own beliefs. And you can choose to ignore the ones that don't fit.
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

I haven't read the book yet but from the comments, I'd say it's for open minded people and that's not me
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I don't think any book is suitable for everybody. We all tend to interpret and apply what we read based on our experiences and insights. if a verse of scripture is quoted on this forum we are all likely to understand it from different perspectives. I tend to read and take what I agree with and apply to my life. My needs and views might even change with my situation and circumstances. I salute the courage of the author. it is not often easy to share one's journey and experiences publicly.
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

If one firmly believes in his faith or religion, then this book is not suitable for him or her. This book is not for everybody. But if you will read the whole book with an open mind, you may understand the writer's point. His point was somehow similar to Buddhism, that a soul's ultimate aim is enlightenment.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

It's valid to be concerned, but I think that if you think a book may hinder your belief, then perhaps you need to consider your own feelings towards your faith and beliefs before approaching a book that discusses any religious or spiritual subjects. It's what you're comfortable with. True faith should allow you to read anything without making you unsure of yourself in a way that upsets you. If you are worried about your beliefs being hindered, consider what may hinder them and why. The author seems considerate of people of various backgrounds, but it is very Christianity oriented. So keep these things in mind.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Faith is faith, sometimes it gets shook. It if is THE belief, I think it will hold up just fine against a novel, if it doesn't ? Well, then I guess it shouldn't.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I think it's possible to read it whether you're a believer or not. I'm catholic I didn't have any problems reading the book. While I understand there may be other people who will be affected or simply won't want to read it. I have also read e.g. "Angels and Demons" and it didn't affect my faith whatsoever. I know it's a different case, but this book was actually my first book about spiritual growth, and I liked it. Even if I don't implement it into my life, I still think it was worth reading, it's a good read. But I guess it can depend on how strong your beliefs are. If you're already in doubt...
Dic45ta
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading: Surviving Life As An Actor
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dic45ta.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Dic45ta »

I am a believer, and to me, this book has strengthened my faith even more. As someone who had the mentality that only my religion is the best, I started to appreciate different beliefs and see things in a different light.
Remember to love yourself every day. I Love You.
💜💜💜💜.
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by fictaddict »

Fuzaila wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:43 Within the first two chapters, I have already come across a child who wants to convert his parents, parents who question the child about the existence and validity of God. On one hand, I really want to see if I can decide for myself what the author claims to be true. On the other hand, I don't want it to hinder my faith or belief in any way.

Do you think this book is suitable for non-believers and believers alike? I know the author has said in his introductions that you must only read the book if you are ready for 'the great revelation'.
Do you think a book on seeking spirituality has the ability to alter your perspectives on belief, religion and faith?
I'm always interested in hearing why others have their beliefs, even if they're not at all what I believe. I don't really like people or books that try to convert others, and I don't like to be told what to do and what to think.
Moddesser Elahi
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I totally agree with the author's viewpoint on this particular thing. I also feel uncomfortable to admit that if someone doesn't follow the same religion which I am following i.e. Islam then the person would go to hell. If we are really open-minded then this explanation by the author would be perceived properly.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Fuzaila wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 00:45
BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 18:21 I think this is a really important and relevant topic with a book like this.

I do not identify as a believer, but I do identify as spiritual. There are elements of Haight’s spirituality that resonate for me, and (many) elements that don’t- but as someone who also adheres to a more “find your own path” spirituality, I don’t find the book particularly challenging or threatening- just an interesting different take.

My personal belief on this topic is that it is important for people to know what they believe and why. I therefore don’t think reading about the beliefs of others “should” be threatening to one’s faith, because one should be able to engage with those differences and still keep one’s own faith if it is in fact worth keeping. I also don’t see harm in questioning for the sake of better understanding why you believe what you believe.

But that’s my own take. I’m very curious to hear what other members, especially members who identify as believers, think!
That's really good to hear! Like I said, I'm a believer, and it seems to me that this book was written keeping believers in mind, in hope of making them rethink their beliefs. The author does a pretty good argument of why one should question their faith, but only if we choose to believe. I agree, reading a spiritual book like this one must not be threatening, in fact, for better or for worse, it is a good thing that a book affects you enough to make you rethink your spirituality. :)
I feel the good thing about such explanations in a book is that that it makes us rethink on what we just follow unconsciously.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

ViziVoir wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 02:14 I feel like there's no single book in existence that appeals to all believers - even many Christians, so I've heard, prefer translations of the original writings of Jesus and his apostles over those selected by the time's authorities to be put into the Bible. My own beliefs aside, I don't think it appeals to all believers, and I don't think it even could!
I feel even if this point made by the author doesn't appeal to everyone, yet it will make a lot of people with open-mind rethink about what our religious scriptures say.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”