Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Roxanne Thomas wrote: 03 May 2019, 11:04 For me it does not change anything much, it however gives me another point of view from which to look at Judge's betrayal to Jesus. I have reached a point in my life where I don't believe everything that I hear, read and see.
They say "seeing is believing" but that has been proven to be wrong at times. I don't believe that there is anyone on earth that can answer the questions that I have with regards to Jesus, so instead I will wait until the day He returns and ask Him and His father Jehovah personally my questions.
Interesting opinion. :tiphat:
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

No it doesn't. No matter what speculations or new ideas that may come up regarding Judas, I'm strongly convinced that he's still Christ's betrayer and enemy.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

KristyKhem wrote: 03 May 2019, 11:20 This book does not change my religious beliefs. The findings portrayed in the book were first revealed by National Geographic and were analyzed by a qualified team - nine biblical scholars and Coptic experts. However, the author claimed that they did not do a good job because they had no knowledge of Gnostic teachings. How does the author know this? Is he himself qualified to analyze the ancient text? What makes him qualified? Blueink Review said that he is a lay researcher. Is this the scope of his qualifications? I'm not impressed. To change the foundation of my entire religious beliefs based on this book is laughable.
I like your reasoning.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Kibetious wrote: 03 May 2019, 09:51
Misael wrote: 03 May 2019, 07:51 I have read the summary and based on it, If have a strong faith in what I believe in, whatever I may read that will contradict my beliefs will not have that strong an impact. The issues or arguments presented may raise some eyebrows but in the end we hold on to our own.
Very true. At end of the day, it does not matter what will be presented. I have been thinking a lot about the impact of such and I think there is no way it can really change anyone's faith unless the person's faith was hanging on the view of Judas.
Yes. Only those with weak faith can be affected by the sentiments in the book.
No Wahala
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Roxanne Thomas wrote: 03 May 2019, 11:04 For me it does not change anything much, it however gives me another point of view from which to look at Judge's betrayal to Jesus. I have reached a point in my life where I don't believe everything that I hear, read and see.
They say "seeing is believing" but that has been proven to be wrong at times. I don't believe that there is anyone on earth that can answer the questions that I have with regards to Jesus, so instead I will wait until the day He returns and ask Him and His father Jehovah personally my questions.
Interesting view and if it's waiting, then it's waiting. Consistency.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nerea wrote: 03 May 2019, 15:20
Misael wrote: 03 May 2019, 07:51 I have read the summary and based on it, If have a strong faith in what I believe in, whatever I may read that will contradict my beliefs will not have that strong an impact. The issues or arguments presented may raise some eyebrows but in the end we hold on to our own.
Very true. At end of the day, it does not matter what will be presented. I have been thinking a lot about the impact of such and I think there is no way it can really change anyone's faith unless the person's faith was hanging on the view of Judas.
Yes. Only those with weak faith can be affected by the sentiments in the book.
I agree with having unyielding faith but I would never refer to someone who opens their beliefs to change as being weak. It's just plain unfair. :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

KristyKhem wrote: 03 May 2019, 11:20 This book does not change my religious beliefs. The findings portrayed in the book were first revealed by National Geographic and were analyzed by a qualified team - nine biblical scholars and Coptic experts. However, the author claimed that they did not do a good job because they had no knowledge of Gnostic teachings. How does the author know this? Is he himself qualified to analyze the ancient text? What makes him qualified? Blueink Review said that he is a lay researcher. Is this the scope of his qualifications? I'm not impressed. To change the foundation of my entire religious beliefs based on this book is laughable.
I appreciate your view and the Gnostic teachings the author's arguments are based on seem a bit far fetched and modified to suit his message.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I was born into a different religion than Christianity. As such, the book's revelations or arguments are not going to affect my beliefs. But I did my schooling in a Christian Convent, so Christianity's beliefs and with it, Judas' betrayal, have been ingrained in me. Judas has always been portrayed as a traitor and the book's revelations try to provide a rationale behind Judas' behaviour. I think it can open our minds to not see things as "black and white". Sometimes, someone might be a good person, yet do bad things. Or maybe, someone has a valid reason to do a bad thing, even though it affects everyone else. I think this book deals with mystic experience of God, which is practised by many old religions. Most of the old Gods in eastern society are realised through this spiritual experience. It might be a different experience for someone who's been taught from birth to look upon one true God and one Satan and one Satan's tool.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
katinabuchanan5
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by katinabuchanan5 »

No. I am a devout Christian and by faith and intuition we guess second our shortcomings and the repeated weaknesses seem to grow instead of the goodness promised by submitting to the mercy of God. My belief is that Judas is a traitor and I stand my ground in sound mind under with the grace of God.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

I agree with having unyielding faith. :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Lindsey Klaus wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:31 I'm sure the book would change my mind, based on the reviews and snippets I've read. But, to be clear, I'm already neutral on the subject. I grew up believing Judas as the betrayer, but my beliefs as I get older are ever-evolving and changing as new information comes to light. Everything I read and consume with factual evidence or extensive research informs my opinions, whether I agree with them or not. For me, it's not about belief in the divine, but belief in the people through whose hands these stories have passed. If there's been some misinterpretation, be it on purpose for political reasons or purely by accident, and there's proof of it, that would absolutely cause me to continue deep-diving into the subject to verify and find the truth. But that's just me. I'm looking forward to continuing the discussion once I've finished reading the book. So far, it's very enlightening.
So far, you're the right kind of reader for this book.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3098
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
This is made worse when the book is not the foundation of your beliefs. They may be realated but it is not Judas who saves.This point is very true that for anyone who is firm, the book won't change a thing.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kibetious wrote: 03 May 2019, 22:42
Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
This is made worse when the book is not the foundation of your beliefs. They may be realated but it is not Judas who saves.This point is very true that for anyone who is firm, the book won't change a thing.
I agree with having unyielding faith but I would never refer to someone who opens their beliefs to change as being weak. It's just plain unfair. :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Niski wrote: 02 May 2019, 07:50 The author's thoughts on the matter are interesting, but I don't think that they would ever be interesting enough to change my fundamental beliefs.
And this speaks more to the strength of your belief than the new information in the book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

oaktreehill wrote: 01 May 2019, 19:20 Nothing a book could say could change my religion ever. Ones religion should be unshakable and unchangeable. I've read the reviews for this book but to me it's just interesting information. I'm not sure the author us actually trying to convert anyone to mysticism though.
My thoughts exactly :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”