Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I am not a Christian, and I can perfectly understand the values. But as a reader, I can say that this book has some unknown stories and fact which will enlighten the darker paths. I won't give it a rating because I think I am not worthy enough.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

I really like this kind of books. It is some time that I am thinking to improve my knowledge of the Old Testament and I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val Greenwood is the right book to start. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

I gave I Will Make Of Thee A Great Nation 4 stars. I loved reading The Old Testiment in chronological order and in plain English. This had to be in overwhelming task that the Auther accomplished awesomely! d
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

I have only read the official OBC review of this book. I love Bible stories, so I will check this book out. I will read the entire contents before posting here my ratings and recommendations.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

The chronological arrangement of the stories got to me. It help me look at the Old Testament better from a historical view point. I rate it 4 out of 4
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Praise1989 wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 20:54 I like the book because the author's detailed explanation of some stories in the old testament.
Same here. I like that it gives context, hence, a better appreciation of a number of Old Testament stories.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I sort of wish I was more invested in religion overall to make a more informed response, but I'm not nor am I interested in religious-themed stories usually. Would anyone be willing to say what they find personally appealing about stories like these?
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

The author says "I have made every effort to keep the stories simple, straightforward, and free from fictionalizing and embellishment. I have also tried to tell each story as the scriptures tell it, while--at the same time--eliminating redundancy and cumbersome (and sometimes sordid) details." But there are many instances where that is simply not true. The author didn't tell the stories as a sculpture tells it. Starting from Eve and eating the forbidden fruit and author entering Satan as a voice who tells her to do it. Satan is not a character in the Book of Genesis. And there are many examples later on. Is this the author freedom to interpret the Bible in his own way? Possibly. Yes. And that is what we all be doing for hundreds of years. But there are parts where the author just portrays men in a different light that just didn't sit well with me. They are more innocent, blameless and modest. And some of the details that he eliminates are very much important and in some cases crucial. Are rape embellishment and fictionalization for him? And do we really want a picture-perfect and pretty version of the Old Testament? Do we want simple when we are regarding such an important book?
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
ernest kafuna
Favorite Author: Thomas McCoy
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-kafuna.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 168307

Post by ernest kafuna »

The writter did a good job at elaborating the old testament and simplifying it to make it understandable to many readers. Though what i dislike is the blunk pages althrough the book,i don’t know if its only on my side or its for everyone,im using kindle unlimited,it was poorly edited i think
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I know people who struggle with bible readings every day, trying to understand the Word of God, and what it means in their lives. This book is sure to offer something in that respect.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

This book is enlightenment to the Christian community. It has simplified the study of the Bible. Children will love the stories it contains. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This isn't really the kind of book I like reading, but I'm trying to give it a chance.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

I'd definitely rate this book a perfect 4 out of 4 as soon as I finish reading it. I was intrigued by the author's writing style and the language usage.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

The idea of arranging the Bible in chronological order to make the stories flow in a more understandable fashion was very clever and I think it will assist Bible scholars immensely, however the book contains a lot of personal interpretation by the author which may cause the flow of study to be slightly hindered.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I like the idea of hearing someone else’s opinions on how they interpret the stories of the Bible, but I would rather prefer being able to discuss and debate than read about it from one side.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”