Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

B Creech wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 02:46
katiesquilts wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 17:10
B Creech wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 19:43 The drowning of the puppies was so cruel! That was a part that really bothered me!
Honestly I hardly blink twice when a character is killed off (so de-sensitized) but whenever animals are treated cruelly I bawl like a baby!
I know what you mean! I cry when I see those commercials on TV from the Humane Society!
This scene in the book not only affected me profoundly, but based on the other comments in this discussion I can say it was a key uncomfortable point in the story.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:06 I also didn't like the drowning of the puppies.
I didn't like it, either. I hate when something terrible happens to puppies. When I watch series or movies and something terrible happens to puppies, I hate it from the bottom of my soul. :evil2:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 05:11
B Creech wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 02:46
katiesquilts wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 17:10

Honestly I hardly blink twice when a character is killed off (so de-sensitized) but whenever animals are treated cruelly I bawl like a baby!
I know what you mean! I cry when I see those commercials on TV from the Humane Society!
This scene in the book not only affected me profoundly, but based on the other comments in this discussion I can say it was a key uncomfortable point in the story.
I agree!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 04:05
esp1975 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 16:14 I think what bothered me most about the harming of the wolf cubs, and the Game Keeper in general, was that there did not seem to be a point to his character. He was nothing but cruel, and his presence in the book did not add to the plot at all. He wasn't even made out to be a red herring. His continued job at the orphanage makes me not like the character of Dew Pellucid much either, because why would she tolerate that kind of sadistic behavior?
So the book's been noted for the similarities to the Harry Potter series right? This actually reminds me of an uncomfortable problem with this subgenre where the people in charge often keep employing rather cruel persons who are allowed near kids. The Game Keeper is rather reminiscent of Argus Filch in that way and it really bothers me how much he was willing to hurt Will's wolf.
I totally agree. The sad truth is that there are people like this in real life who take pleasure in mindless cruelty and always find a way to plant themselves near kids, all the while going unnoticed by other adults.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Adedayo+23 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 16:34
esp1975 wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 16:14 I think what bothered me most about the harming of the wolf cubs, and the Game Keeper in general, was that there did not seem to be a point to his character. He was nothing but cruel, and his presence in the book did not add to the plot at all. He wasn't even made out to be a red herring. His continued job at the orphanage makes me not like the character of Dew Pellucid much either, because why would she tolerate that kind of sadistic behavior?
So the book's been noted for the similarities to the Harry Potter series right? This actually reminds me of an uncomfortable problem with this subgenre where the people in charge often keep employing rather cruel persons who are allowed near kids. The Game Keeper is rather reminiscent of Argus Filch in that way and it really bothers me how much he was willing to hurt Will's wolf.
I totally agree. The sad truth is that there are people like this in real life who take pleasure in mindless cruelty and always find a way to plant themselves near kids, all the while going unnoticed by other adults.
I always feel uncomfortable with mindless cruelty to pets in any story.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Oh wow with all the similarities to the Harry Potter series I noticed I'm surprised I didn't see the parallel to Filch. They definitely were similar!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kaylee123 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 09:17
Oh wow with all the similarities to the Harry Potter series I noticed I'm surprised I didn't see the parallel to Filch. They definitely were similar!
The impossible cruelty to animals and bias towards students were definitely Filch-ish. All that was remaining was "In my days....students....whipping....flayed..."
Filch was known for longing for the cruelty dealt to students in his youth.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

I hadnt noticed a lot of the Harry Potter similarities when I read the book myself, until I have been reading them here on this thread! Very interesting! I wonder if this was purposeful on the authors behald or if it was subconsciously done.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 22:42

I hadnt noticed a lot of the Harry Potter similarities when I read the book myself, until I have been reading them here on this thread! Very interesting! I wonder if this was purposeful on the authors behald or if it was subconsciously done.
The uncomfortably cruel scenes with the Gate Keeper -Filch, and the killing and lack of emotions by the Fate Sealers-Dementors...I see a certain similarity.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

When Valerian got all crazy and started threatening and shooting children with arrows, I lost it for a bit. But it proves how brave they were to stand up to him. The adults sure didn't do it (directly).
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

But Argus Filch was harmless, other than helping put kids in detention. He was a frustrated man because he was a Squib, and I think it was Dumbledore's kindness that got him the job. The Game Keeper is in a completely different ballpark.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:06 Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

I was uncomfortable when the keeper gave will's wolf a salty water. I also didn't like the drowning of the puppies.
I didn't feel uncomfortable throughout the book. I felt it's just a fiction book. So I expected bizarre scenes, especially after I found out that Deá and Damian were Echoes, not animals. I was ready for anything.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

Often an author purposely is trying to make us feel "uncomfortable", but I found myself uncomfortable by the entire setting of the book. It feels like such a dark and strange place. From the environments to the strange characters.

Now I don't need to feel warm fuzzies throughout a story but if I'm going to be " weirded out" it better be worth it.
This certainly is an imaginative and fast pasted story but I don't know if the pay off is enough. If I'm going to feel uncomfortable so much I want it to be a fantastic story. And I don't think that's the case here.
L-L
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
carolwnns
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolwnns.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by carolwnns »

Yes, I didn't like that someone would feed salt water to an animal in order to kill it.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

I hated the drowning of th poor puppies. As a child the description of the floating dead bodies and the repeated stabbing would have frightened me.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”