Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Re: Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Post by Washboard »

Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 22:32
Washboard wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 00:56 I didn't understand why the Game Keeper was a part of the book at all. He didn't help develop the plot and was horrible to the animals and children. His killing the wolf pups really bothered me and seemed completely unnecessary, other than to make the reader dislike him.
I think the point of drowning the pups was because it was a mongrel pup and its echo (half echo half sound). This showed how half-breeds were viewed and disposed of in Echoland.
That would make sense. I guess I missed that detail when I listened to it the first time (audiobook version). I will have to listen to that part again, although I don't really want to. Haha!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Washboard wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 20:00
Washboard wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 00:56 I didn't understand why the Game Keeper was a part of the book at all. He didn't help develop the plot and was horrible to the animals and children. His killing the wolf pups really bothered me and seemed completely unnecessary, other than to make the reader dislike him.
I think the point of drowning the pups was because it was a mongrel pup and its echo (half echo half sound). This showed how half-breeds were viewed and disposed of in Echoland.
That would make sense. I guess I missed that detail when I listened to it the first time (audiobook version). I will have to listen to that part again, although I don't really want to. Haha!
I dont blame you! I ended up reading the book halfway through and starting over because I found it confusing. It made a lot more sense the second time through!
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I have to say that the creepiest things in the story were the flying eyeballs watching everything that is going on. Maybe this is a reflection of the security camera, and cell-phone-video oversight that our world wallows in. It certainly was unsettling.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

B Creech wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 19:43 The drowning of the puppies was so cruel! That was a part that really bothered me!
This part of the book really bothered me, as well. I didn't see how it was necessary for the author to include this, especially in a book for children.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

djr6090 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 08:55 I have to say that the creepiest things in the story were the flying eyeballs watching everything that is going on. Maybe this is a reflection of the security camera, and cell-phone-video oversight that our world wallows in. It certainly was unsettling.
I didn't think of the flying eyeballs that way when I first read the book, but now that I think about it, you make a very interesting point. There definitely do seem to be some parallels with our world today.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Drowning puppies???unbelievable!
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

B Creech wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 19:43 The drowning of the puppies was so cruel! That was a part that really bothered me!
Honestly I hardly blink twice when a character is killed off (so de-sensitized) but whenever animals are treated cruelly I bawl like a baby!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 09:16
This part of the book really bothered me, as well. I didn't see how it was necessary for the author to include this, especially in a book for children.
I think the purpose was to show how mongrels were treated (the half echo half sound), because i believe it was hinted at a few occasions that they were to be killed. So I guess the author figured it would be a little less traumatizing to kill mongrel wolf pups than half-breed people?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:06 Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

I was uncomfortable when the keeper gave will's wolf a salty water. I also didn't like the drowning of the puppies.
The level of animal cruelty exhibited by the Keeper and some echoes was a bit uncomfortable for me.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

KDJ wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 09:57
gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:06 Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

I was uncomfortable when the keeper gave will's wolf a salty water. I also didn't like the drowning of the puppies.
I agree those were the worst parts, but I was also uncomfortable with Emmy being taken to Shadowpain. That seemed unnecessarily cruel because of how young she was. And her PTSD seems to be unhandled, like she has not had counseling. Those were also uncomfortable for me.
That seemed exceptionally cruel considering that she was just a child. It was a key reason why Fate Sealers appeared to be the worst Villains in the story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Rachel Lea wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 09:16
That was a very uncomfortable part in the book for me, and it changed my image of the book.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Yeah, that's kind of the vibe I got from it too. I thought it was unnecessary for the puppies to be drowned, but it didn't show the discrimination and then violence against the half-breeds. Which makes the characters that are half-breeds more relatable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

reneelu1998 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 23:49
Yeah, that's kind of the vibe I got from it too. I thought it was unnecessary for the puppies to be drowned, but it didn't show the discrimination and then violence against the half-breeds. Which makes the characters that are half-breeds more relatable.
It did make half-breeds more relatable and likable in this book.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Yes! The drowning of the puppies was horrible. The thing is, I tended to look at this book through a younger reader's perspective and I don't know if all this cruelty was necessary. I love how somebody in the comments here mentioned Harry Potter, a book that also has cruelty and is dedicated to children. Unlike this book, I was actually young when I read Harry Potter and the cruelty only made me appreciate the protagonists' strengths even more. So I guess, even though I did feel uncomfortable, I am reassured by the fact that anyone reading this book can handle cruelty!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

katiesquilts wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 17:10
Honestly I hardly blink twice when a character is killed off (so de-sensitized) but whenever animals are treated cruelly I bawl like a baby!
I know what you mean! I cry when I see those commercials on TV from the Humane Society!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”