Do you think the novel would have benefited from a greater female presence?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Do you think the novel would have benefited from a greater female presence?

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I think there was just enough female presence in the book. I often feel like nowadays everyone tries to push towards inclusion all the time. I am a woman, but I feel so tired of it sometimes. I mean, Jamie and Jacko are the MAIN characters. Besides, I think it's easier for a man to be writing about male characters, and still Greg Kater did an amazing job with Sarah's character, I think. But everywhere you look, there have to female, non-caucasian, and homosexual characters, because if not, it's instantly deemed wrong. And as much as I can understand a mermaid of african origins (since they are mistical creatures anyone can imagine the way they want) a latina Snow White or whatever doesn't really speak to me. All in all, I think Sarah is great, and I admire her. I think Carna and Moniaue had enough space in the book, leaving the rest to OTHER secondary characters and well the main characters.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

In my opinion, I just want the story to be how it was made. It doesn't need any extra inclusions to make it more appealing this way or that. I just want the story how the author meant it to be told.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

This is a tough call. I personally would love to see a stronger female presence, but it would be difficult to do so with a story set in this time frame. In order to have a stronger female presence while maintaining historical accuracy, there would have to be major setting changes to look into spaces where women were allowed to be during this time (i.e. not where the action is), which would allow down the pace of the book. I think it could be done, but it would probably take some major structural changes to the book to make it realistic.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Lindsey Klaus wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 17:33 While female empowerment does not seem to be a theme of the story, I think almost anything based in history could use a stronger female presence. Though I don't feel that the author is intentionally leaving them out or anything like that. Women have been heavily present in adventures throughout history, but unfortunately their roles have often been dismissed, painted over, or forgotten. I think it's important we don't continue that trend. That being said, while I haven't read the whole story, I don't get the impression the author is sexist or anything like that.
I agree. I don't think the author was intentionally avoiding greater female representation in the book. I think it would have been possible for him to include more or course, but it doesn't seem intentionally absent here. I agree that there is an alarming trend of removing the contributions of women throughout history, and would love to see more pushback against it.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

OliviaLouise wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 07:51 Definitely. Women still struggle to get representation in contemporary literature. Especially in genres like action and adventure. Writing a strong female character is not enough: we need more with central roles!
I agree. I liked Sarah's character, but she seemed a bit unnecessary to me. I would have liked for her to have a more central role in the book.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

LinaMueller wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 18:25 The only thing I know is that Sarah deserved more space in this book. :evil:
Seconded!
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

mariana90 wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 04:58 I find hilarious that all these comments excuse the lack of female characters (in any book) due to them being "historical novels". You do know that women were in existence in ANY historical period, right?

You might say: "yeah, but they usually stayed at home". A. This was not the case for all of them. B. Even if they stayed at home, their perspective is still interesting and their tasks important.
I agree! Even if having Monique and Carna rush into the jungle would have been "unrealistic", I still wish they had bigger roles other than portraying them as simply pining away after their men.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

nooregano wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 13:09 The narratives of females in war are often left untold. It would have added another dimension to the story, and made it richer.
Agreed! I think there were a lot of opportunities to have more female involvement.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

briellejee wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 03:16
Lunastella wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 19:46
Hester3 wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 02:39 Given the time period of the book along with the setting, a greater female presence would not have been realistic. I think the author did a fantastic job with his female characters. Given how young Sarah is, her character is remarkable but more strong female characters would have diminished Sarah's role.
I agree. We often forget that the role of women in society changed relatively recently. Of course, we can find it bothersome and even sexist to see that female characters have a secondary role in historical novels but that doesn't mean, necessarily, that the author is sexist. It's sometimes just the way to keep the story historically accurate.
Although I do love Sarah!
I do agree about it being historically accurate. And that a lesser exposure of women does not imply that the author is sexist. Actually it might be a bit better since the author is male and that he is not sure that his portrayal of women in his novel would not offend his women readers. :techie-studyingbrown:
If that is the case, then I think the author would benefit from learning how to accurately portray female characters in his writing.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

e-tasana-williams wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 21:05 I don’t know that I would have wanted to see more female characters in this book. The ones that are included seemed a bit flat to me.

I would have liked to see Sarah’s character better developed though. Even though she has amazing skills and is clearly an important part of the team, her character is made to appear very childish at times.

She leads them through the jungle and tracks like no one else can, but the lines she is given are like those of a little girl. I’m not familiar with aborigine culture, and maybe this portrayal was authentic, I don’t know. But these parts of the book were very glaring to me.
I kind of got that vibe as well. I didn't really know how to articulate it though. It was almost like the childishness was introduced to make sure that she wasn't "cooler" than the men in the story. Her superior skills had to be leveled out by her being a "kid".
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Washboard wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 14:52
briellejee wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 03:16
Lunastella wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 19:46

I agree. We often forget that the role of women in society changed relatively recently. Of course, we can find it bothersome and even sexist to see that female characters have a secondary role in historical novels but that doesn't mean, necessarily, that the author is sexist. It's sometimes just the way to keep the story historically accurate.
Although I do love Sarah!
I do agree about it being historically accurate. And that a lesser exposure of women does not imply that the author is sexist. Actually it might be a bit better since the author is male and that he is not sure that his portrayal of women in his novel would not offend his women readers. :techie-studyingbrown:
If that is the case, then I think the author would benefit from learning how to accurately portray female characters in his writing.
He could, but then again, it's his book. If he doesn't want it, then we can't do anything about it. And to think that it's already the third book, his storyline is set. Maybe he could add more female presence, but let's face it, authors have their limitations as well.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:01 I think there was just enough female presence in the book. I often feel like nowadays everyone tries to push towards inclusion all the time. I am a woman, but I feel so tired of it sometimes. I mean, Jamie and Jacko are the MAIN characters. Besides, I think it's easier for a man to be writing about male characters, and still Greg Kater did an amazing job with Sarah's character, I think. But everywhere you look, there have to female, non-caucasian, and homosexual characters, because if not, it's instantly deemed wrong. And as much as I can understand a mermaid of african origins (since they are mistical creatures anyone can imagine the way they want) a latina Snow White or whatever doesn't really speak to me. All in all, I think Sarah is great, and I admire her. I think Carna and Moniaue had enough space in the book, leaving the rest to OTHER secondary characters and well the main characters.
This is by far the best reply I've seen explaining that the book has enough greater female presence. I don't get it why people can't see that Sarah has a good portrayal despite the author being male and being dominated by male characters as well.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I thought the author did a good job of balancing the presence of the female characters in this book. Sarah played a larger role in this story, but that fit in with her jungle skills. Monique's and Carna's interests also seemed appropriate for this time period.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Washboard wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 14:46
LinaMueller wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 18:25 The only thing I know is that Sarah deserved more space in this book. :evil:
Seconded!
Yes thats true. Sarah had a important role to play in this book. She was the reason the tension scenes in the scenes didnt get too serious. And besides her excellent tracking skills I think her character interactions were the best part of her character.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Apart from Sarah I dont think there is any need from any existing female charcters to show any more than they have already did. However, the presence of another new female character would be definitely good and refreshing.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”