Do you think the novel would have benefited from a greater female presence?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Re: Do you think the novel would have benefited from a greater female presence?

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While I have been really enjoying the book, I do believe the book could have benefitted from a greater female presence. I think by possibly making Sarah's character have more of a role, it could have added more perspective.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I think the historical setting of the story serves as an excuse to have fewer female characters but I still feel that it would benefit from more female characters. If there were more strong female characters it would lose its historical aspect.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

I think Sarah played her part well in the book. In fact, she is to me the leader of the pack so to speak. Jamie and Jacko followed her lead in the Malayan jungle. The other female characters are also felt. Carna and Monique are the pillars supporting the main characters. I think the role given to each female character is appropriate.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

That would make more interesting if the story comprise the function of women characters. And as we all know, even movies perhaps doesn't make more attractive if there were no participation of the women. Aside from the book tells they have skills that make the mission more possible to execute.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

History does have it's female heroines let's not forget Cleopatra she has always stood out. I have not read this book yet though I get a strong feeling that the author didn't intentionally include a female heroin because it was not part of his overall theme.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Juliet+1 wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 21:37 I think the novel would be much better with a greater female presence, because that's reality. And not all the women have to be young and adventurous. How about a middle-aged anthropologist like Margaret Mead wandering about the jungle? There's plenty of room for a more even treatment when creating minor characters.
Primatologist Jane Goodall would be another one who would fit the bill.
Lil_bro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-bro.html
Latest Review: Compelling American Conversations by Eric H. Roth and Toni Aberson and Hal Bogotch

Post by Lil_bro »

Overall, Sarah's presence is sufficiently convincing and memorable. Besides, it is the personality that leaves an impression, not only the gender which the protagonist belongs to.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

I don't think so. It is possible that Sarah actually has the skill of tracking in reality. If you look at all the characters very closely, you would see that they were carefully chosen. They all played their roles very well. This means that Sarah was not just put there just because she is a woman. She was put there because of her exceptional skills. Do you realize that she found her husband in the process?
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

Definitely. Women still struggle to get representation in contemporary literature. Especially in genres like action and adventure. Writing a strong female character is not enough: we need more with central roles!
Phikim
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phikim.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Phikim »

I think it's a matter of the context in the story. We see so much of crime, conflicts among other vices. In this kind of environment, expect less female play. Naturally, they never endure such. So inclusion of them would have less impact. Sarah might have been aggressive but that doesn't mean that any other female presence or inclusion will mean the same.

Sarah admissibility has done a fantastic job in tracking but that doesn't qualify the presence of other female characters. Let inclusion be for the vibrant and aggressive characters. By this,I don't mean to be gender insensitive.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
lauren3cats
Currently Reading: A Girl Like You
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren3cats.html
Latest Review: Invent, Innovate & Prosper by Michael G. Colburn

Post by lauren3cats »

The lack of a real strong female presence didn’t bother me so much because of the time period the book is set in. I always think strong female characters add a lot to a book but I didn’t feel like there was a hole in the book in this case.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I think Sarah does a great job of representing the females. But definitely, more feminity would add in some spark.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Lindsey Klaus wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 17:33 While female empowerment does not seem to be a theme of the story, I think almost anything based in history could use a stronger female presence. Though I don't feel that the author is intentionally leaving them out or anything like that. Women have been heavily present in adventures throughout history, but unfortunately their roles have often been dismissed, painted over, or forgotten. I think it's important we don't continue that trend. That being said, while I haven't read the whole story, I don't get the impression the author is sexist or anything like that.
Yes! I agree with this. It doesn’t feel intional, but I think we as a society need to be a bit more intentional about including women!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Hester3 wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 02:39 Given the time period of the book along with the setting, a greater female presence would not have been realistic. I think the author did a fantastic job with his female characters. Given how young Sarah is, her character is remarkable but more strong female characters would have diminished Sarah's role.
I share the same opinion. I didn't feel the female presence was dismissed or overpowered, and I don't think Sarah's role should've been done any other way.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The only thing I know is that Sarah deserved more space in this book. :evil:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me