Review of Mirror, Mirror

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: Behind The Wheel Tips by Raoul Watson

Review of Mirror, Mirror

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mirror, Mirror" by Margie Myers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do we really need to look in the mirror? What do we see when we gaze into it, and how do we interpret that reflection? Is the mirror an essential part of our lives? Mirror, Mirror by Margie Myers delves into these questions, leaving you contemplating, And then what?

Maria Wilkins, a beautiful, hardworking single mother, recently clinched a promotion, much to the chagrin of Lucille, her neighbor, who coveted the position. Due to cost-cutting measures at work, Maria had to deliver Lucille’s termination notice. Lucille took it all on Maria's daughter, Amber, but her subsequent apology was insincere. Seeking retribution, Lucille targeted Amber when Maria got a new job in McCullenvine, her birthplace, prompting their relocation. Maria's friend, Christiana, sensed something amiss about Lucille and was determined to uncover the truth. Who is Lucille? What awaits Maria and Amber in McCullenville? And how does the title "Mirror" tie into the story? These and more mysteries unravel within the pages of this book.

I relish books that offer life lessons, and Mirror Mirror provides ample opportunities for introspection. A poignant lesson resonates from Pastor Lucas's final message amid his battle with cancer: if we all simply look in the mirror and refrain from judgment, perhaps hate, envy, and low self-esteem could diminish. Margie's writing style distinguishes her from other authors. While engrossed in the book, I occasionally found myself trying to align the subsequent chapters with the previous ones. Despite the plethora of characters, their stories interweave seamlessly. Characters like Slateface, Patsy, Sheriff Bull Moose, his boys, Eunice, and others captivated me with their diverse tales.

Though I admire the author's writing, some unresolved plot points towards the book's conclusion left me with questions. Addressing these loose ends could have enhanced the book's allure. Nevertheless, it harbors hidden truths, lessons, and facts, earning my rating of 4 out of 5 stars. One star was deducted due to these unresolved elements.

The book underwent professional editing, and despite occasional biblical references and sermons, I wouldn't categorize it solely as a Christian book. Instead, it invites readers to explore life from an alternate viewpoint, pondering connections and revelations. I recommend it to mature adults who relish thought-provoking, suspenseful reads.

Mirror, Mirror
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirui Collins
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Kirui Collins »

So many people battle cancer and what kills most people so fast is fear and low self-esteem. I want to read this.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”