Review of Love, Flesh, and Spirit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Re: Review of Love, Flesh, and Spirit

Post by Catalina Isabel »

This seems like an interesting story of Nathan's various moral struggles as a preacher. It's good to hear of the detailed introspection of his thoughts as he works through his feelings, and the poetic writing style. It isn't my usual genre to read, but I appreciate your thorough review! Congrats to the author on BOTD 😊
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3098
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I have now understood the main themes in the book and the overall plot after reading this official review. It seems the young preacher is trying to walk a tight rope, and I hope he will emerge triumphant. The premise of the book is thought-provoking, though. Thanks for the fascinating review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

The five-star rating, despite acknowledging some flaws, speaks volumes about the book's overall impact. The recommendation for a mature audience seeking emotional engagement aligns with my reading preferences. I'm inclined to pick up "Love, Flesh, and Spirit" for its promise of a thought-provoking and professionally edited experience.
Gloria M 3
Currently Reading: Reflections: Words From the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Gloria M 3 »

Feelings are emotions that are interesting but when they get out of hand it gets confusing and hard to control, reading about an American preacher's life Mr Scott Nathan a married man and father of two and just moved into a new place, his position gets at stake when he's faced with a lot of temptation first from his wife's best friend who turned into his mistress and later ends up falling in love with a younger parishioner Shara.
His relationship turning from agape love to eros towards this young girl he watched and certain point mentored grow into a young lady. Nathan's situation doesn't get any better right from home his love for his wife and children, a demanding mistress, debts here and there. How would he get back on track with his mission of serving God despite all.
Love, Flesh, and Spirit" by L. Adlai Boyd is an interesting book with identity seeking theme, it also had a lot of poems which kind of addressed the inner cry of Mr.Scott his need to find himself and cry to the Lord for mercy and help. It has some errors mostly repetition of some words but they weren't too much to distract my reading.
I want to thank the author for this piece cause it reflects our lives when encountered with similar situations especially those surrounded by love. This would be a great read for all those that love long stories and some bit of romance.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A thought provoking and emotionally engaging novel "Love, Flesh, and Spirit" by L. Adlai Boyd, which follows a young American preacher whose life drastically changes after he falls in love with a younger parishioner.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading: Words of Weedsdom
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

The reviewer's honesty about the book's length is appreciated, but the emphasis on the engaging and rewarding aspects outweighs this concern. I'm intrigued by the intellectually stimulating nature of the story and the author's skill in presenting varied perspectives on complex themes. I'd gladly overlook the length for such a compelling narrative.
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Nathan seems to be in great dilemma due to multiple love interests. As there are themes of infidelity and due to the length of the book, I think I’ll skip it. I hope it reaches the right audience. Congrats on the BOTD!
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Chad Anthony »

The review's detailed exploration of the protagonist's inner conflicts and the author's poetic storytelling style truly piqued my interest. I'm drawn to narratives that delve into complex emotions and relationships, making "Love, Flesh, and Spirit" a must-read for me.
Navya Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-navya-patel.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Navya Patel »

Nathan, a young pastor, is divided in "Love, Flesh, and Spirit" between his love for two women and his calling from God. Despite being married and having two kids, he is enthralled with a young, exceptional woman who is developing in all aspects due to his guidance, expertise in music, poetry, and culture, as well as his touch. Even if some of the sections are difficult to read, the contextual background helped me understand their meaning. I was moved to laughter, arousal, tears of pleasure and sorrow, and a feeling of living by the characters and storylines!
addhamsaniya007
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by addhamsaniya007 »

I am very thankful to say its very interesting to read and find out how Nathan was able to balance his lust for the parishioner, family and the work of God. Congratulation on BOTD :eusa-think:
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

This is the struggle many face, especially those in the clergy. I would love it if this book teaches how to avoid such pitfalls, and how to come out of it if already ensnared. Thank you for the review.
Danny Anderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danny-anderson.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by Danny Anderson »

This book seems to be a captivating tale of love's complexities, religion, and human nature in the turbulent 1960s. The poetic prose adds a layer of beauty, making it an engrossing read that prompts deep contemplation. Thanks for the review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I loved that the author skillfully portrayed the complications and dilemmas in the preacher's life. Thanks for the insightful review!
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: Sent to Watch by David J. Lebenstein
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I like the idea of presenting a clergyman as a simple human who experiences typical human dilemmas. This would make an enjoyable read as we manoeuvre the controversial social themes of this book. Thanks for the review.
"All I can do is fight, and I intend to. After all, giving up on the process is giving up on the result."
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Independence Corrupted by Charles Benjamin Schudson

Post by Harty Muli »

This is an interesting read of a preacher's life stuck with performing God's work and the lust of the flesh. To me it's an eye-opening read on how to defeat the works of the flesh in pursuit of a healthy spiritual life. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”