I Beg to Differ.

Use this forum to discuss the May 2020 Book of the month, "Grace Revealed: Finding God's Strength in Any Crisis" by Frederick J. Sievert.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Re: I Beg to Differ.

Post by Laura Lee »

That's a good question. I have always been taught that the blood of Christ covers sinners. No, the Father doesn't have amnesia. But for believers, the blood of Christ covers them by faith so that when the Father looks at the humble believer, He sees the perfection of His son.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

I think the problem of the book's statement lies in the sentence, "He doesn’t see all your sins, failures, and rough spots." Isn't Jesus interceding for our sins? (1 John 2: NIV. My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.), which means He DOES see our sins, and if God didn't see our sins, then why would we need to pray forgiveness of our sins? Isn't there a passage of the Bible that says that if we do not forgive others, then God won't forgive our sins? (Mark 11:25 – And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”) I believe God does see our sins and rough spots but He has great mercy upon us because even when we are "in Christ", we are still prone to sinning.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

Well, I think what the writer means is that God sees us collectively through Jesus, therefore through Jesus his mercies are bound because Jesus died for us.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Deborah kalu wrote: 08 May 2020, 15:39
djr6090 wrote: 05 May 2020, 09:55 I think it is presumptuous to claim knowledge of what God sees. We can only hope he accepts us with all our faults and shortcomings.
We don't hope we believe. This is where the word FAITH come in,if we don't believe in God and his righteousness then,that means, we don't also believe that he died on the cross to set us free from our sins
Yes, well. I just reread that and it did seem somewhat judgemental. I believe. I hope. and I submit to God's will. I think the greatest triumph of Christianity is that it provides proof to its believers that there is an afterlife for the faithful. I'm just differing with the author's statement.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Nerea wrote: 08 May 2020, 04:00
djr6090 wrote: 05 May 2020, 09:55 I think it is presumptuous to claim knowledge of what God sees. We can only hope he accepts us with all our faults and shortcomings.
Why do you say so?
To me, God is a higher power, unlike any human. The personification, His likes and dislikes, His hope for us, His vision of success, what He chooses to see or not is as far above me as the clouds. Could you have stated with certainty what your own earthly father saw in you? You can legitimately say you believe he saw your mother in you, for instance. But you cannot know.
Deborah kalu
Currently Reading: A Giant Below
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Deborah kalu »

Arimart99 wrote: 08 May 2020, 19:17 I think the problem of the book's statement lies in the sentence, "He doesn’t see all your sins, failures, and rough spots." Isn't Jesus interceding for our sins? (1 John 2: NIV. My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.), which means He DOES see our sins, and if God didn't see our sins, then why would we need to pray forgiveness of our sins? Isn't there a passage of the Bible that says that if we do not forgive others, then God won't forgive our sins? (Mark 11:25 – And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”) I believe God does see our sins and rough spots but He has great mercy upon us because even when we are "in Christ", we are still prone to sinning.
The bible always remind us that no one is righteous not even one.except, Gods loving son Jesus Christ. That's why he sent his son Jesus Christ to die for our sins in order for us to be save.this is to say God love sinners that they shall repent but hate sin.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Nerea wrote: 01 May 2020, 01:18 I believe God is aware of all our sinful inclinations, and He wants us to change and become useful vessels in His service. To achieve that, He has used His word and His Holy Spirit to help us correct our weaknesses so that we can attain perfection/holiness.
Does God only “see perfection in Jesus,” or is He also interested in us as individuals?
Playing devil’s advocate here, I have the same fundamental question I had as a child that stumped my pastor...or at least made him stumble over his words a bit and give platitudes instead of an actual explanation. If God made us the way were are, complete with strengths and weaknesses that he gave us in the first place, why would he want us to change? Perhaps it is because he doesn’t see as individuals, just as his creations...purposely flawed, each in different ways, to give us the illusion of individuality.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

Nerea wrote: 01 May 2020, 01:18 I like how the author defines Grace (undeserved kindness) and reveals how it affects us. But I beg to differ a little bit with the author’s sentiments in location 343, paragraph 2 where the author talks about how God views us as individuals. He says;

“To be in Christ means that when God looks at you, He doesn’t see all your sins, failures, and rough spots. When you are in Christ, God just sees Jesus. You may see the scars, the mess, and the problems, but God sees perfection in Jesus.”

I don’t know if I’m the one who got it wrong. Feel free to correct me. My issue comes in where the author says, God does not see our effects of imperfection, but He sees perfection in Jesus. I believe God is aware of all our sinful inclinations, and He wants us to change and become useful vessels in His service. To achieve that, He has used His word and His Holy Spirit to help us correct our weaknesses so that we can attain perfection/holiness. He provides comfort whenever we feel low, through the Bible, and give us the strength that will help us endure all our “rough spots.” For God to draw us closer to Christ, He chooses to look at the good in us despite our bad tendencies, failures, and trials. (Ref; Genesis 6:5, Psalms 51:5, Isaiah 48:17,18, 1 peter 1:14-16, 2 Corinthians 1:3,4, John 6:44, Psalms 103:12-14).

Does God only “see perfection in Jesus,” or is He also interested in us as individuals?
I agree with you. God is interested in us as individuals remember 1st Timothy 3:16-17. He requires us to work(study the scriptures) inorder to attain that perfect nature which is through reading the scriptures and the help of the holy spirit.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nerea wrote: 01 May 2020, 01:18 I like how the author defines Grace (undeserved kindness) and reveals how it affects us. But I beg to differ a little bit with the author’s sentiments in location 343, paragraph 2 where the author talks about how God views us as individuals. He says;

“To be in Christ means that when God looks at you, He doesn’t see all your sins, failures, and rough spots. When you are in Christ, God just sees Jesus. You may see the scars, the mess, and the problems, but God sees perfection in Jesus.”

I don’t know if I’m the one who got it wrong. Feel free to correct me. My issue comes in where the author says, God does not see our effects of imperfection, but He sees perfection in Jesus. I believe God is aware of all our sinful inclinations, and He wants us to change and become useful vessels in His service. To achieve that, He has used His word and His Holy Spirit to help us correct our weaknesses so that we can attain perfection/holiness. He provides comfort whenever we feel low, through the Bible, and give us the strength that will help us endure all our “rough spots.” For God to draw us closer to Christ, He chooses to look at the good in us despite our bad tendencies, failures, and trials. (Ref; Genesis 6:5, Psalms 51:5, Isaiah 48:17,18, 1 peter 1:14-16, 2 Corinthians 1:3,4, John 6:44, Psalms 103:12-14).

I don't know what God to answer on your question. I believe. I believe that God sees us as individuals.
I am sure God knows we are sinful and imperfect because that is what we are as humans.

I didn't interpreted this quote same as you. I see it as author saying we are more then just our scars and failures...God wants us to do better..to be more like Jesus...that is why he gives us grace. He sees beyond all the problems because we are his children. To me, it has nothing with individuality.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kelyn wrote: 11 May 2020, 13:39
Nerea wrote: 01 May 2020, 01:18 I believe God is aware of all our sinful inclinations, and He wants us to change and become useful vessels in His service. To achieve that, He has used His word and His Holy Spirit to help us correct our weaknesses so that we can attain perfection/holiness.
Playing devil’s advocate here, I have the same fundamental question I had as a child that stumped my pastor...or at least made him stumble over his words a bit and give platitudes instead of an actual explanation. If God made us the way were are, complete with strengths and weaknesses that he gave us in the first place, why would he want us to change? Perhaps it is because he doesn’t see as individuals, just as his creations...purposely flawed, each in different ways, to give us the illusion of individuality.
LOL Kelyn you must have been a handful as a child. I didn't have enough coffee to answer your question. Must think on it. I don't think God wants us to change, maybe just to do better. Be better. You know, to know happines one must know sadness same with everything there has to be balance. Btw. I am interested in what the pastor told you?
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

djr6090 wrote: 10 May 2020, 08:46
Nerea wrote: 08 May 2020, 04:00
Why do you say so?
To me, God is a higher power, unlike any human. The personification, His likes and dislikes, His hope for us, His vision of success, what He chooses to see or not is as far above me as the clouds. Could you have stated with certainty what your own earthly father saw in you? You can legitimately say you believe he saw your mother in you, for instance. But you cannot know.
And at the end of it that what faith is believing without seeing.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nerea wrote: 08 May 2020, 03:59
monicamu wrote: 07 May 2020, 23:59 Is this really an appropriate forum for a discussion on religion? I think not.
No it's not. It's a forum to discuss about the contents portrayed in the book.
Well, I don't see why not as this is a book that is about religion. How can we possibly separate it.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

As what I understand when I read the quote is that God loves you like he loves Jesus, and because Jesus died because of your pain so seeing Jesus is like seeing you?
I think the quote sounds confusing. I am not religious but I like to know a bit more about it.
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

Let me first appreciate you on this thorough critique. However, I believe whatever answer one may give, it will be a personal perspective or individual understanding. None of us can really give the correct answer, neither a wrong one in accordance to the question. God's outlook for mankind in incomprehensible for us.
Mcjones1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcjones1.html
Latest Review: Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert

Post by Mcjones1 »

God definitely sees all of us. 1 Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”
God sees every part of us, our minds, our hearts, and our souls. Grace is when He sees all of the bad things and thoughts and still loves us anyway. Grace is when He gave us His perfect son so that we don't have to be perfect.

Return to “Discuss "Grace Revealed " by Frederick J. Sievert”