God the Father

Use this forum to discuss the June 2020 Book of the month, "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.
Nelson Chocha
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: G.A.S. & Dementia
Currently Reading: ABM is B2B
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-chocha.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 77547

Re: God the Father

Post by Nelson Chocha »

Officialboluwatife wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:08 I wouldn't say. This book touches the fundamentals of the Christian religion in relation to other fiction. This fiction can be misleading to non-religious people who won't be able to define where the fiction lies.
This is true, hence the book will be more understood by believers compared to non-believers. I can imagine the influence of being introduced to this book before recognizing the Bible.
Mwangi 20
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mwangi 20 »

I love how the author portrays the character of God the Father. I see his actions all over the book are done with reason. I love the way the author portrays God's righteous way of judging, His judgement is fair to everyone not just to one party. He's also a God of love, as much as He chases Adam and Eve out the the garden, He still offers solution to them in their their daily lives.
Abigail Peake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-peake.html
Latest Review: Nadeems journey by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Abigail Peake »

Nelson Chocha wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 12:04 Killing Abel is a fictional description of a loving Father and His children founded on what little is disclosed in the Bible, in the book of Genesis.

What is your opinion on the context of this book in relation to the description of God, "God the Father is limited by His children's actions and His Children are limited by His actions as well"?.
Religion is a fascinating topic however the Bible describes God as Omnipotent and Omniscient, therefore how could he be limited by the things he ultimately created. He knows you before you know yourself.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

In my opinion, I think the statement: "God the Father is limited by His children's actions and His Children are limited by His actions as well." Is out of place. I think God can't be limited by His children's actions. God is all powerful and His ability is limitless.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I guess it depends on someone's beliefs. Some Christians believe in these things. However, I find the whole idea of our Creator being a 'father' and having sons is like a polytheism belief. However, the book is only fictional and he is writing to interest people so I think he is trying to entertain more than anything
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Katie Canedy wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 17:27 The idea makes sense if one has an understanding of the Bible and how God treats His children. God provides unconditional love to us, which is why I say this.
I agree. And God wants His children to freely love Him, not because they have to. That is why we have free will. God will never force anyone to love Him. Maybe that is what the author meant by 'hindering' Him.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

Isiah 46:10 says "I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, 'My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.'" Interestingly, the author's stand differs from this scripture. And Psalm 139:4 states that "Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely." Both scriptures seem to imply that God already knew everything that would happen from the beginning to the end when he created man. There is nothing that will come as a surprise to Him. As He has perfect foreknowledge, He can control future events and turn destiny in whichever direction He wants. The author takes a different view which leads to a different interpretation between the state of affairs between God and man.
The highest purpose of art is to inspire. What else can you do? What else can you do for anyone but inspire them? -Bob Dylan
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

Christians beg to differ, they believe that nothing can limit God.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I think God has already given us everything. He gave us a heart to love, a mind to choose from evil and good. It's up to our decision now.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

Well, I think God is not limited in any sense. Whether when viewed through the lenses of the fictional representation in the book or otherwise. God set in place the rules that govern the earth including freewill for His children. He cannot hence, be considered as limited because He respects the rules he put in place for order. His children are however, limited in their ability to maximise their free will to choose God's best for them. God's ultimate purposes always comes to realisation even if the immediate one doesn't get actualised in any of His children's lives. That is a function of their own limitation not His
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

I would advice reading the book without religious prejudices whatsoever. Anyway, I have usually found the issue tricky. God is said to have given man free will to do whatsoever he pleases but is portrayed as having planned their lives and destinies before they were even born. So are we living what was already planned or what we choose? Do we even choose our lives if it was already planned? :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
:tiphat: Lead by reading :techie-studyinggray:
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I think that resembles a lot what I have read recently and it is because parents teach us to be the way they are because they don't know other way even if they would want us to be different. So God limites his children action because He knows no other way to teach them and his children limit his actions because they want to be different, but don't know how to really do it, only to rebel against him. This can be seen and very often used when Lucifer is described as the son of God how go against him. A kind of different perspective.
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

Nerea wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 14:48 Personally, I don't find the idea fascinating. It sound weird to me.
Agreed. The statement sounds weird and dangerous
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

Bhuvana Subramanyam wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 11:39 In my place, there is a saying that nothing happens without gods approval. So, maybe god's sons do what he planned for them to do, without even realising it!
This is true, it tallies very well with the concept of sovereignty
-Dee.
Dee_Robert

Post by Dee_Robert »

Nelson Chocha wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 12:21
Officialboluwatife wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 16:08 I wouldn't say. This book touches the fundamentals of the Christian religion in relation to other fiction. This fiction can be misleading to non-religious people who won't be able to define where the fiction lies.
This is true, hence the book will be more understood by believers compared to non-believers. I can imagine the influence of being introduced to this book before recognizing the Bible.
Its very devastating and can cause a persons faith to have a considerable level of shakiness or some misconceptions about God.
-Dee.

Return to “Discuss "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman”