What is your favorite classic and why?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MissReader
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missreader.html

What is your favorite classic and why?

Post by MissReader »

My favorite classic book is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This is my favorite book because it calls attention to some of the many challenges that still face society today, the main one being racism. This book beautifully illustrates through a small town law suit the racism, rape and social class that plague society today- albeit it is not as prominent of a problem in the 21st century. This story gives a stressful plot from the view point of a six year old nick-named scout. This was a compelling read for me, even when I first read it for my high school English class. My first time reading this was not as enjoyable as it could have been, as I was analyzing the book for it's figures of speech, but my second time reading it was extremely enjoyable. I was able to curl up in a corner and read this book completely in one sitting; I was absorbed into this emotional story and didn't want it to end.

Please reply back with your favorite classic books and why you loved them. Also, if you feel compelled, please respond with classics that you didn't enjoy and why; I am deciding which classic I want to dive into next and would like some outside input.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Five Little Pigs
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Classic Books”