Official Review: Saving Hope by Devoted Grandfather

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Saving Hope by Devoted Grandfather

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Saving Hope" by Devoted Grandfather.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Saving Hope by a Devoted Grandfather (Jim) is not a story for those who are not prepared to weep incessantly. On the 9th of September, 2001, Jim was not just grieving the terrorist attack on the twin towers. His granddaughter, Hope, was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma on that same infamous date. Neuroblastoma is a rare cancer that forms in the nerve cells.Although it can be cured with chemotherapy, there is a high chance of patients relapsing up to 5 years after they have been declared ‘cancer free’. The book is a compilation of emails that a Devoted Grandfather typed to update his acquaintances and well-wishers on Hope’s condition.

At the start of the book, the author includes a major spoiler concerning Hope’s struggle against neuroblastoma. However, you won’t hear it from me whether she won or lost against her opponent. All I can say is that the emails that started on the 20th of September, 2011 and concluded on the 26th of the same month in 2014, promise to make the reader cry and rejoice depending on how Hope’s physical and mental condition are described.

Even though I knew the ending from the start, Jim’s writing style had me emotionally invested in the story. The Devoted Grandfather wrote with a ‘heavy heart’ as he watched his beautiful blue-eyed baby girl make numerous trips to the hospital for the cancer treatment and blood transfusions. My eyes got moist when Jim exclaimed that, ‘‘the frustration, disgust, despair, and depression that our family feels right now is at fever pitch.’’ I rejoiced every time that we were told that ‘‘Hope’s spirits are high.’’ However, one of her many doctors was correct when he nicknamed her, ‘Up, Down, On, Off, Never-Know-What-to-Expect Hope.’ Did Hope exit this roller coaster of physical and emotional trauma alive? I highly suggest that everyone read this amazing book to find out.

I really enjoyed reading Saving Hope. Despite the fact that there were a few grammatical errors, the story was well-written, especially considering since the author confesses that he ‘unintentionally’ wrote this story. Moreover, sometimes the emails were very repetitive. Jim explained very technical details about the cancer treatment including the procedures Hope had to undergo and the drugs she had to take a number of times.Moreover, our Devoted Grandfather had a habit of concluding his emails by expressing a few words of gratitude to the readers as well as declaring that he is living life one day at a time. These 'flaws' actually made the story more enjoyable because they proofed that the author did not ‘doctor’ the emails when he decided to compile and publish them. I also like that although dealing with cancer is expensive, Jim never asked his readers for financial assistance. The author also had a very good sense of humor that served to make me laugh right after he had made me cry. The most amazing thing about the book is that Devoted Grandfather only used one finger to type over 200 pages worth of email.

In conclusion, I rate Saving Hope 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to everyone, especially to people who are fighting against any type of cancer or have a family member that is diagnosed with cancer. I believe that most readers would have a greater appreciation for life after reading this book.

Saving Hope
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Attachments
Book cover to be attached to review
Book cover to be attached to review
hope.jpeg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 687
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This is one heartfelt review, Jaime. I sincerely hope for Hope to find peace and everlasting joy wherever she is right now.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks Miriam, I shed many tears reading this book. I also hope that Hope is alright wherever she is. Hope is only a few years younger than me so I really relate to her.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Pearl in the Sand
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. This definitely sounds like a tear jerker. I'm glad you enjoyed it although I don't know if enjoyed is the right word. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for reading and commenting Kandscreeley. I really enjoyed this because it was so engaging.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love that it's a book that addresses a families battle against cancer! I also love that it is in the point of view of the grandfather. This sounds like an amazing book that many people should read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for reading and commenting Amagine. I believe that this book will touch everyone who reads it .
Flor26
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flor26 »

This book sounds like a great read. Thanks for sharing such an honest review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for reading and commenting Flor.
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

Cancer in the nerve cells must be frightening indeed, but thankfully there is a cure. While not knowing the outcome with regards to Hope, I hope that she did survive. She has such a loving grandfather that they need to spend a long time together. Kudos for a great review.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

Reading this made me want to grab a copy of the book asap. Thank you for the great review! I've always thought that books that can make the readers cry are special. Should not missed this one!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Apples Never Fall
Bookshelf Size: 561
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow, this sounds like an amazing story! Cancer is such a horrible illness and it's sad how many can be affected by it. I love that the author was able to present his story in such a way that guides his readers to be so emotionally invested. I feel like this would be an emotional ride for me too, but I am extremely interested to know the outcome. Great job on the review!
"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Elic
Currently Reading: Flash Point (Elemental Trials, Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 30

Post by Elic »

If you love drama filled books , This one is for you! Respect to the author and people in 9/11. Saving hope is worth having in youre library 5/5
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

The war on cancer is such a personal battle and it takes its toll on not just the victim, but the victim's family and loved ones. This book really does sound like a tear jerker that puts you on an emotional rollercoaster.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks everyone for reading and commenting. I am so glad to see so many people that are interested in this amazing story.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”