What did you think of the cover of this book?

This is a discussion forum for the April 2024 Book of the Month, "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=573230

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Eric Evans 2
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What did you think of the cover of this book?

Post by Eric Evans 2 »

I believe the cover captures the early beginnings of America through to our industrial footprint created in 1800's. The foreground showing the agricultural start, to the factories in the background, leading to the mountains out west. Although, not an obvious choice for a cover, it is very thought provoking and artistic with a message to tell.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 58%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

The cover of this book reminds me of a 5th grade geography book I had in the 1960s. I like artistic illustrations, and can find ways to get lost in paintings and drawings. It’s impossible to make a snap judgement about the cover. It takes time to interpret the meaning. In this case, I failed miserably at figuring out what the book might hold.

The title font is rather boring, but it gets the job done. The scenery, however, pays homage to America’s past with the steam engine. Railways, after all, helped build this country and make the transportation of goods a reality.

Overall, though, the cover doesn’t ask me to read the book. It doesn’t speak to me about the Uber founder or big companies such as Wal-Mart and Amazon. I would be drawn to familiar company logos and maybe a more descriptive title. “Launchpad Republic” holds no clue for me regarding the subject matter.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: The Contraption by Barton Allen Stewart

Post by Saima Rahman »

I enjoyed the cover of the book. It made the book more appealing. I really look forward to understanding the cover better once I complete reading the book.
Brandon Thorp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brandon Thorp »

Honestly, given how much of the book is about the Industrial Revolution, economies-of-scale, banks, business, etc., I think a picture of skyscrapers, or some kind of post-modern art, would have been more appropriate.

If I was looking at the cover without the title, I don't think I'd have guessed correctly what the book is about.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

It's important to remember the atrocities of war, not just on the field, but in everyday life of the affected civilians. I enjoy books that follow seemingly random people then slowly reveal
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Keto kickstart by Wendy Simpson
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 580%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

It is an appropriate cover. It has many elements related to entrepreneurship. There is nature and train, together with constructions and white smokes. Industrial evolution and green possibilities.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Andrew Darlington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I had nothing against the cover of this book, it was beautiful
Dennis Kiage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennis-kiage.html
Latest Review: Toxic Bonds and Betrayals by N Njeri Jones

Post by Dennis Kiage »

It's quite okay, but I feel it could be improved. The picture used does nothing to show what the actual content is about, and I feel the fonts could be more captivating.
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joule-mwendwa.html
Latest Review: On the Wings of Ideas by Gabriella Balcom

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

The green field brings agriculture in mind but I don't think that was the main focus in the book. A pic of a busy developed city would have been my preferred cover for this book.
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 19:26 Even though the book is about businesses, I found the cover to be very boring. I think that they could have added more color to make it pop and given it a different scenario. Even if they had used office buildings or factories with some color, it would have been more pleasing to the eye.
I kinda feel the same way. Business evolution and a green field just don't click for me. Or maybe the authors have other reasons
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. -Nelson Mandela
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 01:34 The cover features a classic and serene landscape painting, invoking the idyllic American countryside. The imagery of rolling hills, agriculture, and the presence of a train chugging along in the distance alludes to progress and the traversing of new frontiers. This could symbolize the journey of entrepreneurship in America—rooted in tradition but constantly moving towards innovation and the future.
Wow! I didn't think this way. Makes sense
Joule Mwendwa
Currently Reading:

Post by Joule Mwendwa »

Sbitan Mohammad wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 05:29 I think the cover suits what is being discussed. As much as the book is about business, the cover represents a serene field with lush green vegetation depicting financial growth and all.
They could have added something to attract a first time reader. Like an office setting or a. Though your point is still relevant
Aleya Logan Moreno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleya-logan-moreno.html
Latest Review: Teen Life Skills by Florance Philip
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 93%

Post by Aleya Logan Moreno »

I love the cover of this book. It's very appealing to the eye, not too complex or loud. I also think that the visuals blend really well with the title colors and help draw your eyes around the entire cover.
Chad Anthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chad-anthony.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Chad Anthony »

The cover of the book didn't give way to the content but it is abstract which is good. The agricultural looks gave a nice view about the book and entrepreneur.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 34%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

The cover is very aesthetically pleasing and fitting for the book. The historical countryside signals that the book is delving into the history of the topic.

Return to “Discuss "Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters" by Howard Wolk and John Landry”