Agatha Christie

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
through the wormhole
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Agatha Christie

Post by through the wormhole »

I bought all of the Christie books in a hardcover set when I was in high school. Used my allowance to buy a book a month. I always watched the mail with anticipation for the next book to arrive. Other girls bought clothes, shoes, jewelry -- I bought books. This set has traveled with me where ever I have lived over the years. I have lost count of the times I have read them. They're old friends. :)
Carabosse
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carabosse.html
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods

Post by Carabosse »

I'm unashamedly obsessed with Agatha Christie's work at the moment. I've always been a fan, but now I'm reading them all. I finished "Crooked House" not so long ago, IainDGBlackburn, but will definitely read "Endless Night", based on your recommendation. The characterization in "Crooked House" was so detailed: it was pure joy to read. The only let-down was that I guessed the identity of the murderer!
Please let me know what you think of "Crooked House" when you've read it. For those of you who've already read it, I would love to hear what you think too!
Latest Review: "Seven Years (Tales from the Backwoods, Story 1)" by Backwoods
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

I have just read my first Agatha Christie novel called "Sleeping Murder". Miss Marple is great but honestly I am not to sure if I love her or not. I found the plot a little simplistic, the book very light, I have Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile so I will perservere. I have heard only good reports of these books.
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

I was scrolling through my boyfriends mums bookshelves today and I noticed quite a large collection of Agatha Christie.
Due to the amount of praise on here and the collection of books she has i'm assuming she definitely is a great author!
I'm going to read some, recommend some books for the first time reader?
Cupids_Psyche

Post by Cupids_Psyche »

I have always loved Poirot. Liked Miss Marple but not as much.
Agatha was pure genius!

:)
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

I'm embarrassed to admit I only first read Agatha Christie a few months ago--"The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd." I thought it was great, and I'd like to read more of hers if I could ever find the time. I've read that Christie is the most widely published author of all time. A nice title to hold for sure!
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
cassayohkay
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: The Devil in the White City
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by cassayohkay »

Ah, I'm so glad to see that there are other Agatha Christie fans out there. I absolutely adore Hercule Poirot. I'm not too much of a Miss Marple fan though. The first Christie book I read was And Then There Were None and I couldn't get enough. I went to the local library and checked out all of her books that they had. Murder on the Orient Express and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd are also favorites of mine. I've always been pleasantly surprised by her endings.
Mariacopland

Post by Mariacopland »

Agatha Christie is a tremendous author. My husband bought all of her books for my birthday a couple of years ago and I have enjoyed each one in turn. My favourites are 'The Pale Horse' and 'Murder in Mesopotamia'. Although I sometimes feel that her writing style lacks a little substance her amazing plot twists more than make up for it. She is and will remain one of my favourite authors.
fever33
Favorite Author: Stuart Woods
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Unintended consequences
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fever33.html
Latest Review: "The Lubyanka Strategy" by Bob Bonelli
fav_author_id: 13261

Post by fever33 »

I love her...and then there were none and murder on orient express are my favoritw
Latest Review: "The Lubyanka Strategy" by Bob Bonelli
anu_
Currently Reading: Idiot by Fyodor

Post by anu_ »

Wow, so many Agatha Christie fans and here I am who has just read one book by her, Secret Adversary and that too only this year. No chance to read Poirot or Maples till now, so can't really say much, but yes, I did like her Tommy and Tuppence, a sweet unlikely combination of street smartness and intuition. Note to self - Should read more by her.
"Children were playing when Holston climbed to his death" Wool by Hug Howey
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

My grandmother used to read Agatha Christie, it was one of the few things I knew about her. She was ill when I was little and in bed in my old nursery, so after school I could go show her my artwork and then I had to leave her alone.
One day I bought one of her books in a used bookstore because it made me think of my grandmother.
We are totally hooked now.

I have a puzzle for all you fans - a very young and slender Professor McGonagall can be seen in which Poirot movie?
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

Genius for sure!! I love her!!
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

In my British Literature class, my professor asked us to choose a few books that we would like to read and present to the class. I had chosen And Then There Were None, but she gave me Hope Leslie by Catherine Maria Sedgewick. I had forgotten about my other choices until I went to the library today and got to the Agatha Christie section. So now I'm going to read my first Agatha Christie book :)
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

Haven;t read anything by her. Will have to give her a try.
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Leoch

Post by Leoch »

Yes, they're unrealistic, and yes, there have been better writers, but no writer I know of has such a creative mind. She always managed to come up with endings that surprised even her die-hard fans who thought they could predict her.

Return to “Discuss Authors”