The diversity of the characters

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: The diversity of the characters

Post by Rayasaurus »

I like the diversity! Seeing different cultures and nationalities in a book really makes it better for me, because I cannot afford to travel and see as many places and peoples as I would like.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Ever_Reading wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 01:53 From Australia to Egypt and back, The Warramunga's War introduces a wide range of characters. More than the Warramunga, one also meets French, English, Arab, Australian, Czech, and German characters. At times, Kater even allows these characters to say phrases in their native tongues.

Did you find this distracting as you were reading, or did it enhance the book for you? Also, what are your thoughts on how diversity is portrayed in the book, in general?
No, I didn't find the character diversity distracting. It enhanced the story greatly. It portrayed an in-depth research carried out by Kater. Moreover, Kater travels a lot. So, such diversity is expected. Readers get exposed to diverse cultures of various countries.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

briellejee wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 01:16 I like the diversity this book has! I can say that it did enhance the book. The diversity makes you aware of the character's rich background, and the country where they're from - which makes it overall interesting. Also, it made the book well-researched for me. In the second book of this series, Kater's take on diversity also takes place. He included a Filipino child as one of his characters.

PS. The author is a friend of mine on Facebook, and I can say that he based his stories and characters on his travels. He travels A LOT by the way. I think I recall him posting about another book wherein you can see a history of China where he traveled recently.
That's a pretty neat little aside about the author. Sometimes it's easy for an author to fall into a trap when their characters seem a little unrealistic by saying they've based them on people they know. It's really refreshing to find interesting, diverse characters that feel genuine and real.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Antonio Barrella
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonio-barrella.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Antonio Barrella »

Diversity makes this novel to find a wider attraction. It makes life beautiful. I had no trouble implying the meaning of the words written in the native languages.
HershyGreenwood
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hershygreenwood.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by HershyGreenwood »

I haven't read this book yet, but I'd be thrilled with such display of diversity and culture. I've always found dialects and subtle changes in how we speak based on where we come fasinating. I believe that'd be my main reason for reading this one :)
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I like the diversity in this book and I thoroughly enjoyed the dialogues containing the characters native languange.
soccerts
Favorite Book: Farenheit 451
Currently Reading: Theory of Colours
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerts.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by soccerts »

I really appreciate the diversity. It makes the writing seem more realistic, especially in the context of WWII. It was a world war, not a civil war or boundary skirmish. I like that the characters were allowed to be different and true to their backgrounds.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

I believe there is beauty in diversity. The diversity plus the illustration in different languages will attract more audience to this book. If I come across a book or movie where my local language was spoken or used, even once, I will be compelled to read such a book or watch such a movie.
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

The diversity worked for me, although I found it a bit frustrating at times when Sarah, Jacko's sister would speak her version of English and it was quite difficult to decipher what she said sometimes. Other than that, it added beauty to the story as a whole.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction
Bookshelf Size: 2415
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think it definitely enriches the story. I love learning about different cultures and I think even reading about them or getting to know different worldviews opens our minds and increases our tolerance. I don't believe in adding diversity just for diversity's sake in books or TV shows, but when it's appropriate I appreciate it very much.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Any book can have character diversity. But what makes it appealing to the reader is the characters being more natural and real-like. I think the author has succeeded in that aspect
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3095
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The theme of diversity is always interesting to me and I have liked how different people view things differently. This theme definitely enhanced the book although at times some sentences and words could not be comprehended.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3095
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Sushan wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 02:15 Any book can have character diversity. But what makes it appealing to the reader is the characters being more natural and real-like. I think the author has succeeded in that aspect
True. This is in deep contrast to a scenario where all the characters would be portrayed as having adopting other cultures and even languages succesfully. It makes the book more interesting and the characters more real.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Diversity in a book is like spice in food, makes it more interesting :)
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Kibetious wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 05:05 The theme of diversity is always interesting to me and I have liked how different people view things differently. This theme definitely enhanced the book although at times some sentences and words could not be comprehended.
I do agree that some sentences and words are incomprehensible, but I guess that makes it more genuine. Although I wished that the author would have somehow insert the meaning of those words.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”