Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kelyn wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 12:41 I think it was an accident. Why on earth would anyone PLAN to die in such an agonizing way, even if it were a massive amount of insurance money?
I think it was in the moment, seeing the cable about to snap, he saw a way of getting the insurance money for Louise and the company. I don't think he thought he might survive the initial "accident" and he definitely didn't plan on the amputation.
Roxanne Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxanne-thomas.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by Roxanne Thomas »

I believe it was an accident, to die a slow death, I find it have to believe that someone would purposefully choose such a death for oneself.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 10:07
Nellbathory wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 08:42 I had felt like it was only an accident while reading but looking through the replies here it makes me think of what if. I mean, on one hand, it was a "rookie mistake" which might make you think he did it on purpose since he knew there would be life insurance money left for Louise and the company. On the other hand, I do not think anyone is mentally that determined to end their life in "an acident" to let their hand and foot be amputated and risk the lives of others. I mean, I don't think anyone could just stand there knowing the wire would severaly hurt them in the next couple of seconds.
My argument is that according to him, he assumed it would be a swift death, but seeing that he only got amputated and might still live, got up the strength to say "rookie mistake."
Yes, he still died but i think that he hoped the amputation would have been a swift death.
It would have been if not Travis and Dark Cloud. They applied a tourniquet to his arm and leg as best they could. I admit that when Suzette appeared with the life insurance policy, I questioned whether Larry knew about it. Before knowing about the policy, I questioned why Larry made a "rookie mistake." He's a seasoned sailor, but Travis later on says that the rough seas caused the accident. Like you, I'm not so sure it was an accident. It could have been, but...?
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 23:03
Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 16:44 I feel like it was an accident. He didn't seem to have the type of personality that would just give up. I think he was fighting to save that ship to get back above-board financially. He just made a silly mistake that cost him his life.
I have a problem reconciling the number of successful tugging claims they had before he had the accident, his statement, "rookie mistake", and the sudden appearance of the life insuarance policy. Please tell it isn't just me :tiphat:
No, it isn't just you. I had the same reaction. :-)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 20:20
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 23:03
Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 16:44 I feel like it was an accident. He didn't seem to have the type of personality that would just give up. I think he was fighting to save that ship to get back above-board financially. He just made a silly mistake that cost him his life.
I have a problem reconciling the number of successful tugging claims they had before he had the accident, his statement, "rookie mistake", and the sudden appearance of the life insuarance policy. Please tell it isn't just me :tiphat:
No, it isn't just you. I had the same reaction. :-)
Welcome to the Rebellion :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Roxanne Thomas wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 19:00 I believe it was an accident, to die a slow death, I find it have to believe that someone would purposefully choose such a death for oneself.
But consider how hopeless there business seemed, Larry feeling like he should have done better by Louise, the discovery of the insurance policy, and the cable suddenly snapping-if these things had any effect in Larry's split second decision to be to close to the cable as it snapped, then they were his justification. He thought he'd get a swift death, but amputation was his dosage. :shhh:
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Though the question will always remain because it could have been a planned accident but it wasn't. The accident happened and the life insurance money is there. Because Larry's characteristics was not like that so readers will always on his side.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Susmita Biswas wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 04:26 Though the question will always remain because it could have been a planned accident but it wasn't. The accident happened and the life insurance money is there. Because Larry's characteristics was not like that so readers will always on his side.
I disagree, but I understand where your coming from.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Susmita Biswas wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 04:26 Though the question will always remain because it could have been a planned accident but it wasn't. The accident happened and the life insurance money is there. Because Larry's characteristics was not like that so readers will always on his side.
I love the character but still think he planned it.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I am not 100% sure if it was an accident or not. While it seemed to be suspicious that Larry took out the insurance policy, he couldn’t have known that the other boat would go up into flames. Maybe once he saw the potential of collecting the insurance policy after acquiring the other boat, then he decided to make a “rookie” mistake.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Echo Haapala wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 15:56 I am not 100% sure if it was an accident or not. While it seemed to be suspicious that Larry took out the insurance policy, he couldn’t have known that the other boat would go up into flames. Maybe once he saw the potential of collecting the insurance policy after acquiring the other boat, then he decided to make a “rookie” mistake.
:tiphat:
Brysonmiller321
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brysonmiller321 »

Larry should have got life insurance so if something ever happened to him, he would be covered with well support on health benefits. But he made a mistake and chose not to. The amount of pain he had in his arm was severely high.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I think that's a valid thought. However, this one does feel like an accident. But of course, I see how Larry's character could have us guessing right till the end of the story.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Samy Lax wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 23:29 I think that's a valid thought. However, this one does feel like an accident. But of course, I see how Larry's character could have us guessing right till the end of the story.
:tiphat:
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

As soon as I heard about the life insurance policy I had doubts about Larry's accident. The initial description of Larry's accident made me physically ill. It was so graphic I thought I was going to throw up. Thinking about the pain he was in was terrible. I think someone else had mentioned that he wouldn't cause that physical pain to himself just for the money. What if he didn't realize he would stay alive so long? Maybe he thought he would be thrown overboard somehow? Maybe I'm just being dramatic but the more I think about it the more I wonder if Larry did something on purpose.

I also had the thought that Louise somehow didn't drive the tug right on purpose to cause harm to Larry. She had been wishing bad thoughts upon him. That would be really risky though. I don't think she would put so many other people in danger. But at one point in the story, she does blame herself for what happened.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”