Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Re: Did you find the author Inspiring?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

DD129 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 13:31 Tenacity and ambition are very admirable traits, both of which the author has. The fact that he was faced with racism and still aimed to be (and eventually become) a doctor is truly inspiring. Opportunities weren't as easy for him to find compared to his peers, but he was still able to accomplish so much.
Just considering the job opportunities for someone of intellect and that he decided to embark on being a doctor just to help people makes him inspiring. What he was able to accomplish despite the numerous obstacles always present is humbling.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

DD129 wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 13:31 Tenacity and ambition are very admirable traits, both of which the author has. The fact that he was faced with racism and still aimed to be (and eventually become) a doctor is truly inspiring. Opportunities weren't as easy for him to find compared to his peers, but he was still able to accomplish so much.
The author's tenacity, determination and resilience are very inspiring. Facing racism and discrimination, he never let that deter his ambitions or derail his achievements.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Definitely I am inspired by his brilliance (in studies), and his attitude towards problem coming to him.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 11:09 Definitely I am inspired by his brilliance (in studies), and his attitude towards problem coming to him.
Yes, he never shied from tackling any problem headed his way, and his intelligence made him sore throughout his a academic journey. All in all, an inspiring person.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 11:09 Definitely I am inspired by his brilliance (in studies), and his attitude towards problem coming to him.
I was inspired by how boldly he stood against the discrimination he had witnessed in MIT. Even though it derailed his academic goals, he stood up against evil to try and right the world. That he kept being the best student in all his academic levels just goes to show the unique intelligence and brilliance he had.
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

I admire the author's focus on his goal despite the poverty, hardships, racial discrimination, and prejudice. He was not discouraged to move on. He is a perfect example for youngsters to follow.
Anthony__
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I admire the resilience he exhibited which I think it is attributed to his upbringing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

supernatural143 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 23:48 I admire the author's focus on his goal despite the poverty, hardships, racial discrimination, and prejudice. He was not discouraged to move on. He is a perfect example for youngsters to follow.
I felt inspired reading about how the author once had his academic excellence ignored by the Principal due to social class discrimination, but he kept working hard and not letting discrimination affect his focus. Eventually, he ended up changing how the principal viewed those who came from poverty.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 11:43 I thought the resilience he displayed was certainly inspirational.
Same thoughts, it really stood out throughout the book.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Renu G wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 15:39 I admire the author's strength of character in bearing the insults gracefully and writing about it courageously.
I like how you perceived the courage displayed when writing the book, Indeed, I for one, did not see it that way, but now that you mentioned it, I think it really was courageous for him to write this. This book can serve as an eye-opener and a call-out to stop racism. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 00:14
Renu G wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 15:39 I admire the author's strength of character in bearing the insults gracefully and writing about it courageously.
I think his upbringing might have played a key role in the extent and degree of tolerance he exhibited.
I agree, seeing that he managed to still stay silent after everything his auntie did to him (until that moment where he spoke up), it showed how far can he tolerate or let things slide so many times. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Bluebird03 wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 13:40 I admire anyone who is able to overcome adversity and succeed in life. And the author seems to have experienced adversity in every phase of his life (childhood, school, discrimination due to his color, etc) and still he did not let that stop him. Very inspiring!
Same here. A reader could draw strength from the author's tenacity. If he can do it, then, might as well try it too. :tiphat:
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

Not only did I find the author inspiring the author's grit to come of out of a bad situation really motivated me a lot. As I read through the book I saw exactly how he kept his "sword in the scabbard" and how he "imitated the action of the tiger" and "stiffened the screws".
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

dorebri2020 wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 14:17 I deeply admire how he was able to overcome every challenge thrown at him, but particularly his perseverance in continually improving his education in the face of insults and discrimination. Most of all, I admire his courage and will to share this story with others who may be inspired by his words. It takes a large amount of courage to share one's entire life story, and I am deeply impressed by his doing so.
At first, I didn't see it as courageous, but comments like yours opened my eyes as to why is that. And I think being able to share that painful past, it's like reliving it again, is something courageous indeed. :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 00:13
Bluebird03 wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 13:40 I admire anyone who is able to overcome adversity and succeed in life. And the author seems to have experienced adversity in every phase of his life (childhood, school, discrimination due to his color, etc) and still he did not let that stop him. Very inspiring!
He had also been discriminated against as a child in his home. His cousin Joan was "brown skinned" and that stipulated she was privileged. Due to this he was the one to do most of the chores and leg work, and he did all this work while taking care of his sister,....and making sure he was still the best student not only in his school but in the entire country. If that is not inspiring, then what is.
Agreed. His diligence and also respect for hard work is truly inspiring and motivational. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”