Childhood experiences

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: Childhood experiences

Post by Brenda Creech »

Bhaskins wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 10:06
B Creech wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 17:25 I believe childhood experiences can play a big part in defining someone's life in many ways. The outcome for a person's life depends on how they interpret some of the most dramatic childhood experiences. Some will let the experience defeat them while others will be determined to do just the opposite and go for the gold, just as the author in this instance did. Everything he experienced during childhood was out of his control so he did not let them have an impact on what he set out to accomplish.
I love this! I work with children as a therapist and I think so much of hard childhood experiences and the way people turn out is due to personality. There are so many protective factors against having a hard start in early life (ACES study), and I think that so many can take hard things and push themselves as he did.
I absolutely agree!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

It is my belief that childhood experiences help to shape a person's future. Helping a child to face their fears and stand up for themselves will definitely help them to be confident and outspoken later on in life.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Bhaskins wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 10:06
B Creech wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 17:25 I believe childhood experiences can play a big part in defining someone's life in many ways. The outcome for a person's life depends on how they interpret some of the most dramatic childhood experiences. Some will let the experience defeat them while others will be determined to do just the opposite and go for the gold, just as the author in this instance did. Everything he experienced during childhood was out of his control so he did not let them have an impact on what he set out to accomplish.
I love this! I work with children as a therapist and I think so much of hard childhood experiences and the way people turn out is due to personality. There are so many protective factors against having a hard start in early life (ACES study), and I think that so many can take hard things and push themselves as he did.
Oh, glad to see you here and contributing your knowledge and wisdom about this topic. Excuse my curiosity though, what do you mean about "protective factors"?
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Leyla wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 20:48 It is my belief that childhood experiences help to shape a person's future. Helping a child to face their fears and stand up for themselves will definitely help them to be confident and outspoken later on in life.
I believe that as well, as long as standing up for themselves and being open-minded come together. :tiphat:
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

This requires some kind of psychoanalysis to make sense of his experiences and how he came to be right now. But, the author most likely learned from his childhood experiences in a way that shaped him to be what he is right now.
-rk
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Of course, the author's childhood experiences helped him become the man that he is today as challenges makes a person stronger and one step maturer.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

The experience may have contributed to his endurance in the med school though that is not always the case. a different character may have not taken up the challenge. The good thing is childhood experiences made him strong.
Wanja Kenya
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading: Rainbow&rsquo;s End

Post by Brenda Creech »

briellejee wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 01:51
Shadiid wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 17:38 Life experiences can either motivate us or demotivate us. I think it is our choices then to decide how we perceive the world around us.
I agree. In the end, it will be our choice that matters. :tiphat:
I also agree! Thanks for the comments.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Wanja Hannah wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 04:25 The experience may have contributed to his endurance in the med school though that is not always the case. a different character may have not taken up the challenge. The good thing is childhood experiences made him strong.
That is so true. Some would let their childhood experience defeat them. Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Agnes098 wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 23:57 Of course, the author's childhood experiences helped him become the man that he is today as challenges makes a person stronger and one step maturer.
That is certainly true for him. Thanks for stopping by and for the comment.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

raikyuu wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 22:41 This requires some kind of psychoanalysis to make sense of his experiences and how he came to be right now. But, the author most likely learned from his childhood experiences in a way that shaped him to be what he is right now.
Very true! Thanks for the comment and for stopping by!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

briellejee wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 07:38
Leyla wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 20:48 It is my belief that childhood experiences help to shape a person's future. Helping a child to face their fears and stand up for themselves will definitely help them to be confident and outspoken later on in life.
I believe that as well, as long as standing up for themselves and being open-minded come together. :tiphat:
That is true, just as belittling them and name-calling can destroy their self-esteem and make them unsure of everything they do.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

If only all parents would raise their children that way instead of destroying their self-esteem by name-calling! Thanks for the comment and for stopping by!
B. Creech
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

B Creech wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 05:09
briellejee wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 07:38
That is true, just as belittling them and name-calling can destroy their self-esteem and make them unsure of everything they do.
I think most parents thought that calling their child stupid won't have an everlasting effect. Instead, it stays with them and traumatizes them to the point of them not believing in themselves.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

B Creech wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 05:12
If only all parents would raise their children that way instead of destroying their self-esteem by name-calling! Thanks for the comment and for stopping by!
Based on experience, my parents would always scold me and hit me when I do something wrong. My father called me useless once, and that stuck with me.

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”