Sounds and Echoes

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Sounds and Echoes

Post by wordslinger42 »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 01:05 Although it is supposed to be a sanctuary for both Sounds and Echoes kidnapped by Fate Sealers, the Orphanage of Castaway Children still preserves the strict delimitations between the two races. However, there are many instances when racism is strongly criticised. On the whole, the novel delivers a strong anti-racist message, promoting mutual understanding and tolerance. Characters like Auralius, of mixed Sound and Echo descendancy, or Cyrano, an Echo living in a Sound, prove that racial separation is altogether superficial.

The Prince exclaims: "I'll change Echoland. [...] Sound, Echo, Mongrel - all human beings will be equal!"

Would you agree that this is perhaps the most important lesson the novel teaches both children and adults?
I would have to say so! I thought Pellucid used the story in such a beautiful way to highlight that theme of equality. The way she wrote the world created such a cool opportunity to share that message/lesson, and I was happy to see that she took advantage of that!
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I also think these are metaphors that make us reflect on all kinds of discrimination. Sometimes we aren't even aware of behaviours and beliefs that enforce racism, so it is an important message, indeed.
Kabui-nj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kabui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kabui-nj »

I agree. Racism and on a large scale, profiling of people that are 'not like us' is what the world is going through right now. This is an important lesson on tolerance and that we are all equal despite our differences.
Erin
Currently Reading: Death Has a Thousand Doors
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin.html
Latest Review: Not 4 $ale by M.R. Biggs

Post by Erin »

I agree that anti-racism is an important message in the story. However, what really stood out for me was the duality of a Sound and his Echo. I am still considering what messages the reader can take away from that concept. Are we to consider the duality of human nature and the part of each of us that is transparent versus the part that is not? Is it difficult for one part of ourselves to exist without the other, as in the killing law? Consider the parts of the story where Will and his Echo must work together to accomplish a goal. I would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts or interpretations on this concept in the story.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I liked that the term Mongrel was replaced with the term Harmony in Olam Shone. 'Harmony' carries the connotation of something beautiful and right. However, there was not enough in the book about Olam Shone for me to say I would prefer to live there than here in the real world. But definitely I would prefer it to Echoland.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

It is good that there are so many books that blame racism. On the one hand, writers as readers can evade in a better world, and, on the other, perhaps this world will look at the fiction models and Imitate them.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I definitely think that teaching an important lessons like this one is critical for adults and children. I think that it takes a very skilled author to be able to craft a message such as this one, but in the context of a fantasy novel. I also think that it was a great choice to make this issue superficial and to show the character's for who they really are.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Erin wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 16:18 I agree that anti-racism is an important message in the story. However, what really stood out for me was the duality of a Sound and his Echo. I am still considering what messages the reader can take away from that concept. Are we to consider the duality of human nature and the part of each of us that is transparent versus the part that is not? Is it difficult for one part of ourselves to exist without the other, as in the killing law? Consider the parts of the story where Will and his Echo must work together to accomplish a goal. I would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts or interpretations on this concept in the story.
Now that's deep and beyond my scope of thinking lol I would never have thought of that, but a very interesting point that raises a whole new level of questions!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

gali wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 03:41 I agree, there is a strong anti-racist message.

I agree it was the most important lesson. That was why I liked Harmonia and the Harmonies which accepted all no matter their race.
Iagree that this was an important lesson in the book, but Will not giving up on reuniting his family was highlighted for most of the book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

wordslinger42 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 10:56
cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 01:05 Although it is supposed to be a sanctuary for both Sounds and Echoes kidnapped by Fate Sealers, the Orphanage of Castaway Children still preserves the strict delimitations between the two races. However, there are many instances when racism is strongly criticised. On the whole, the novel delivers a strong anti-racist message, promoting mutual understanding and tolerance. Characters like Auralius, of mixed Sound and Echo descendancy, or Cyrano, an Echo living in a Sound, prove that racial separation is altogether superficial.

The Prince exclaims: "I'll change Echoland. [...] Sound, Echo, Mongrel - all human beings will be equal!"

Would you agree that this is perhaps the most important lesson the novel teaches both children and adults?
I would have to say so! I thought Pellucid used the story in such a beautiful way to highlight that theme of equality. The way she wrote the world created such a cool opportunity to share that message/lesson, and I was happy to see that she took advantage of that!
I think that the bias towards Sounds in Echoland and the sanctuary of Olam Shone went a long way in furthering this lesson for me.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The sanity and health of a society is measured by how its members view each other. This message is really vital in today's world, and I am glad the author chose to highlight it in the book.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Samy Lax wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 00:55 The sanity and health of a society is measured by how its members view each other. This message is really vital in today's world, and I am glad the author chose to highlight it in the book.
I agree that societal morality is based on group bias and how well it is tackled by the people. The author's choice to highlight such bias was inspiring taking into account today's issues.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Of course anti-racism is a strong message that the author teaches here. When we look at the world today, racism hasn't died out completely. For that reason, I believe this book will be celebrated in many years to come just because of this important message.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 23:46

I think that the bias towards Sounds in Echoland and the sanctuary of Olam Shone went a long way in furthering this lesson for me.
And the way the mongrels were treated in echoland!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:14
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 23:46

And the way the mongrels were treated in echoland!
That too. This was a major theme for our world this particular time period, and I think reading this book now would be very helpful to many people.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”