Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Helena91 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 08:01
KDJ wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 09:57
gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:06 Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

I was uncomfortable when the keeper gave will's wolf a salty water. I also didn't like the drowning of the puppies.
I agree those were the worst parts, but I was also uncomfortable with Emmy being taken to Shadowpain. That seemed unnecessarily cruel because of how young she was. And her PTSD seems to be unhandled, like she has not had counseling. Those were also uncomfortable for me.
Yes, Emmy being taken to Shadowpain was cruel. I wasn't comfortable with it
I also found quite uncomfortable once I learned just how bad Shadowpain was. It was unnecessary to drag an innocent child there.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Jachike 1 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 12:51
gali wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 23:06 Did certain parts of the book make you uncomfortable?

I was uncomfortable when the keeper gave will's wolf a salty water. I also didn't like the drowning of the puppies.
I live dogs to death. Also any other animal in the dog family. So you can be certain that the drowning of puppies would get my mind up any day, any time.
The Game Keeper and Fate Sealers willingness to harm pets especially the drowning of puppies came off as overly uncomfortable for me.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

OliviaLouise wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 21:10 In YA fantasy in general many villains tend to be unnecessarily cruel. I think this convention is a nod by the author to the random injustices of childhood/adolescence.
I would never have viewed it that way, but def could be
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

I agree those were the worst parts, but I was also uncomfortable with Emmy being taken to Shadowpain. That seemed unnecessarily cruel because of how young she was. And her PTSD seems to be unhandled, like she has not had counseling. Those were also uncomfortable for me.
Could you imagine being just 2. Torn away from your family and the only life you know to be thrust into the dungeons of a torturous place! Poor girl
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

I live dogs to death. Also any other animal in the dog family. So you can be certain that the drowning of puppies would get my mind up any day, any time.
It was sad, but brief. And it drove the point home in how mongrels were treated in echoland. They were supposed to be killed. So it wasnt necessarily the fact that they were pups but that they were mixed breeds. It definitly did its job to get everyone's attention!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Jachike 1 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 12:55
ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 08:19 Generally, the violence and eerieness of the book create an ominous ambiance that weave an uncomfortable mood throughout the story. Specifically, children being taken away from their parents was a plot point that made me feel uncomfortable.
This book looks like it paints a grim picture throughout the length of the story. I have no problem with violence-themed content in general. However, in this context — violence against kids — it would definitely rile me up.
It does its job of making you hate the fate sealers and other antagonists even more!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 10:05
Jachike 1 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 12:55
ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 08:19 Generally, the violence and eerieness of the book create an ominous ambiance that weave an uncomfortable mood throughout the story. Specifically, children being taken away from their parents was a plot point that made me feel uncomfortable.
This book looks like it paints a grim picture throughout the length of the story. I have no problem with violence-themed content in general. However, in this context — violence against kids — it would definitely rile me up.
It does its job of making you hate the fate sealers and other antagonists even more!
The cruelty and uncomfortable nature of their actions made me hate them more.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Pearl Hijabi wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 16:09

Even though I haven't read the book these parts truly are uncomfortable to read and I hope these were the only parts in the story.
These were some of the uncomfortable parts. The whole book isnt this darkthough
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 10:13
Pearl Hijabi wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 16:09

Even though I haven't read the book these parts truly are uncomfortable to read and I hope these were the only parts in the story.
These were some of the uncomfortable parts. The whole book isnt this darkthough
I agree that most of the actions of fate sealers and the game keeper were uncomfortable, but that was only a short part of the plot. The rest of the book was full of mystery, adventure, and wonder.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

kdstrack wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:37 The ice had coated her entire body like a coffin. There she lay, frozen in an instant of horror, screaming forever without sound. “Mom!” Will choked—
Pellucid, Dew. The Crystilleries of Echoland (p. 28). Nothing but the Story. Kindle Edition.

This was the first uncomfortable scene for me.
This painted the picture of the damage that those nasty fate sealers could do. Thankfully she came out unscathed!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 09:42 The Game Keeper's cruelty to animals especially his vindictive nature towards Wolfèa was uncomfortable.
I could see the point the author had made with the drowning of the mongrel pups, since that was the law that mongrels were to be killed, but feeding wolfea salt was just plain cruel
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 09:43 Emmy being taken to Shadowpain was cruel and uncomfortable, especially considering her age at the time.
Exactly! She seemed to have come out ok considering she spent 5 yrs of her impressionable life there
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 09:44

I also found quite uncomfortable once I learned just how bad Shadowpain was. It was unnecessary to drag an innocent child there.
I wonder what happened to her there
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 09:46

The Game Keeper and Fate Sealers willingness to harm pets especially the drowning of puppies came off as overly uncomfortable for me.
That was the point though - to show the cruelty to mixed breeds in echoland. They were not treated like living beings. More like something unnatural to dispose of.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 10:40
kdstrack wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:37 The ice had coated her entire body like a coffin. There she lay, frozen in an instant of horror, screaming forever without sound. “Mom!” Will choked—
Pellucid, Dew. The Crystilleries of Echoland (p. 28). Nothing but the Story. Kindle Edition.

This was the first uncomfortable scene for me.
This painted the picture of the damage that those nasty fate sealers could do. Thankfully she came out unscathed!
Yes, it was a gruesome start to Will's journey, not knowing whether his parents would live or die. It was certainly uncomfortable.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”