Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Reading as a Stand Alone Book

Post by briellejee »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 17:27 I didn't have any trouble reading it without reading the first two. There were definitely some things I was missing because of not reading the first two, but there was enough background information given that I was never confused, which I think is the most important thing if you are going to start in the middle of a series. Instead, it just made me even more interested in reading the previous books.
Just curious, waht made you want to read the previous books? I ahve read all three and I was wondering what part of this part three that made you interested to know more from previous books? Was it from a character or to understand a specific scene?
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Faithmwangi wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 02:55 Completion is something that I appreciate. Previous books in a series tend to have a build up that leaves you understanding the current book more. That being said, I haven't had the chance to read the previous books and hope to get to them soon.
Since a lot of people say that they are just contented with this book, so I'm just curious if you really planned to read them and what made you want to? :eusa-think:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Ummiii wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 10:47 I really think this book could be read as a stand alone. I haven't read the previous books in the series, this is the only one I have read so far but the author wrote the story in a way you wouldn't feel the need to check the other books for recaps. He included all the necessary information you need to know for this book.
Did it, in any other way, made you interested in the other books? because I could see other people saying somehow after reading this, they would want to read the first two books. Was this not the case for you?
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

SHALLU RAWAL wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 20:34 I always start a series from the first book. But, if starting from third book, it is very important to have brief knowledge of event and situation that happened in past. The author done a great job in providing flashback of past events. But still I prefer reading from the start as it is very easy to imagine all the event in the story in their correct order. Also this help in remembering the story for long time.
Yes, that defnitely true. I find that truly a good experience in most books i have read. It lets us feel the true purpose of the book and i feel reading any book in a series from the middle is definitely a waste of the book's experience.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

CommMayo wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 09:19 It seems like the general consensus is that you can read this as a stand alone book, but you might enjoy it more if you have read the rest of the series first.
I agree with reading the series as a whole. I feel it gives a better experience than reading as a stand alone.
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

No, I haven't yet. And on the idea of reading the whole series, it depends on you. For instance when they talk about how Jacko and Harry stopped human trafficking and you are curious to know more, then you go back to the other books. But at the mean time if you are okay with that piece of information, that one too is alright. Remember, it isn't a sequel that is following where the other book left off, it isn't compulsory to read the others first.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

You will definitely be able to follow the story if you go with the this book rather than reading the whole series. The only thing that felt a little off for me was than I could not get behind the characters as much as I would have liked to while reading it as a standalone book. I would have gotten a better experience if I read the whole book.
CEReader
Currently Reading: Restoring Your Child's Mental Health
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cereader.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by CEReader »

When you check books out from the library, you learn to read books in the order that you can. If I read a book that starts after the first book in the series and I like it, then it inspires me to try the previous books. I have not read the previous books in this series, but I found it easy to follow. There were times stories, events were alluded to but enough details were given that I did not feel lost.
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

I read this book as a stand-alone, and part of me wishes that I hadn't. I feel like I was missing some context and character development from the previous books. Not to mention some things were simply not explained, such as what Warramunga means.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Sam Ibeh wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 15:08 Though I prefer to read series chronologically, I wouldn't mind reading a latter installment of the series before the previous ones. However, there has to be sufficient flashbacks to help understand the journey of the characters.
This was my first series that I didn't start with the first book. It wasn't my favorite. I agree with you that I prefer to read them in order!
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Howlan wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 03:52
Michelle Fred wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 15:55 I doubt I will enjoy reading the third book first even if it's a standalone; I won't be able to shake off the feeling that I 'm missing some details.
Yes, that's definitely true. There are a few major flashbacks missing for the main characters.
I felt like I was missing some context a few times while reading this book. I think I am going to insist on reading all future series in order so I avoid doing that in the future.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

mariana90 wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 05:03 I have mistakenly read the second book in a series instead of the first, and when I go back to the first, many things I thought I understood really start making sense. So I'm an advocate for correct order reading hehe
I also can't help but feel if it is the author's intent to write them in a certain order that I should read them in that same order. It feels like I am disrupting the art of I go out of order. Almost like turning a painting sideways.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

naomisorge wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 13:51 I'm also reading it as a stand-alone. Since I have no idea who is a recurring character with a back story and who is new, it doesn't bother me one bit!
I read this book as a stand-alone too, and have to say I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the series in order. I agree that I don't really know who is new and who has been around for the other books, but I do wish I had some more context for the relationships between the characters.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book does work as a standalone. However, readers would be enriched by a deeper understanding of how Jacko and Jamie met and solidified their relationship. A knowledge of how Jacko and Monique met makes the ending sweeter. The more background information you have about the characters, the easier it will be to relate to the characters and connect with their experiences.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 21:08 This book does work as a standalone. However, readers would be enriched by a deeper understanding of how Jacko and Jamie met and solidified their relationship. A knowledge of how Jacko and Monique met makes the ending sweeter. The more background information you have about the characters, the easier it will be to relate to the characters and connect with their experiences.
Yes, and also in the earlier series we also get the trust which gets built up among Jamie , Jacko and Johnny Cook and we understand how in the book they didnt hesitate at all at the thought of saving their friends.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”