What life lesson did you draw from "Man Mission" and how do you see it impacting your life?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: What life lesson did you draw from "Man Mission" and how do you see it impacting your life?

Post by Nyambura Githui »

The overall lesson that I got was, the plans you have, you should set out and do them. Take the step, have courage.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Very interesting point! I too thinks that at least sometimes we should just allow ourselves to pursue our dreams in spite of all the fears breaking us down.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Nerea wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 01:56 Sam's experience reminded me, even the strongest get broken sometimes. Death is inevitable and it'll eventually come knocking at the door, but how will we react when we receive the news about the death of our loved ones. I'm always scared that one day I'll receive a call that my dad is gone. The scariest part is how will I react to the message. Sam did well to express his emotions and feelings to his friends, which I think helped him to cope with the situation. Also, being there for a friend who has lost a parent or a loved one in death can be relieving and comforting them.
That's very beautifully said. I've long thought that no matter how old you get, you're never ready for that disorienting feeling of being left alone at the death of a parent. Even if you have a spouse or siblings or children, we're not ready to be orphaned without an "older, wiser" generation behind us. I think you're right, too, that Sam's being able to be honest about his emotions was far healthier than remaining stoic. Thanks for your response.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Ellylion wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 06:48 Very interesting point! I too thinks that at least sometimes we should just allow ourselves to pursue our dreams in spite of all the fears breaking us down.
You're right. Fears can be so incapacitating, but if we'll start taking baby steps, we can accumulate those baby steps into big changes that can really better our lives.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 05:50 The overall lesson that I got was, the plans you have, you should set out and do them. Take the step, have courage.
They really did that, didn't they? When you stop and think about it, it's quite amazing how the men were able to keep their missions going year after year for so long.
Laura Lee

Gacau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gacau.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Gacau »

Some of the lessons I've Learnt are:

I should value friendships because at some point you'll really need them. There are friends who sticks so close yet sometimes I don't realize the value they put in our friendship. The book has stirred me up to be deliberate enough to create time for this friendships.

Despite of how busy I may be or rather how many engagements I may have, I should learn to honour my commitments.

The other key lesson is not to give up as a man.
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

I liked how they felt like it was there spiritual get away and they never liked missing there adventure trips. It just tries to tell us that we shouldn't miss any chance to feel happy and free and just enjoy the small chance that we have in life.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Gacau wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 07:59 Some of the lessons I've Learnt are:

I should value friendships because at some point you'll really need them. There are friends who sticks so close yet sometimes I don't realize the value they put in our friendship. The book has stirred me up to be deliberate enough to create time for this friendships.

Despite of how busy I may be or rather how many engagements I may have, I should learn to honour my commitments.

The other key lesson is not to give up as a man.
Hm. I like that, Gacau: "The book has stirred me up to be deliberate enough to create time for this friendships." Once you get out of school, it takes effort to find the time to invest in friendships, but it's important. Thanks for your response! This was the sort of response I was looking for when I asked the question. :)
Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Zeix wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 08:59 I liked how they felt like it was there spiritual get away and they never liked missing there adventure trips. It just tries to tell us that we shouldn't miss any chance to feel happy and free and just enjoy the small chance that we have in life.
That's true. I hadn't thought of that, Zeix. Thanks for sharing!
Laura Lee

xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

For those who are shy, timid and sensitive (like me),those who can't keep their emotions in control this book enhances mental and emotional strength . Floats us in courageous cloud and boost our own self-awareness.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Kitkat anushka wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 12:18 For those who are shy, timid and sensitive (like me),those who can't keep their emotions in control this book enhances mental and emotional strength . Floats us in courageous cloud and boost our own self-awareness.
Hm. That's interesting. So, you felt kind of vicariously courageous through the author? The best books will do that, won't they? :)
Laura Lee

Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

I am currently reading this book and am about half way through. So far, the life lesson I'm getting from this book is that we shouldn't be afraid to be vulnerable and talk.about our feelings.

I'm greatly disturbed that the main character is afraid of looking "childish" to his wife and thinks that opening up about his feelings is not what real men do. I think quite the opposite. It's hard to keep living year after year and keeping all your emotions inside. So the lesson here I'm getting is that men should have that one person, most likely the wife, where they should be totally vulnerable and share about their feelings. She will understand and respect you even more if you open up to her. Because a life with a wife and kids shouldn't be only sacrifice from a man's perspective but an enjoyment as well.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 05:50 The overall lesson that I got was, the plans you have, you should set out and do them. Take the step, have courage.
I agree! I admire people who not only set off to follow their plans, but also perserve despite of hardships. Many people sometimes give up after a while.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

diamonnd wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 15:33 I think my favorite life lesson from the book was just to spend more time with my friends. I lost touch with so many good friends after school to focus more on my career. I realize now that I should catch up with them and that I need to make more time for my friends.
My thoughts too. It's so easy to get caught up in life and its many unpredictable twists and turns, but its always good to touch base with good friends who help to keep you grounded and nourish your soul.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Adedayo+23 wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 10:10
diamonnd wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 15:33 I think my favorite life lesson from the book was just to spend more time with my friends. I lost touch with so many good friends after school to focus more on my career. I realize now that I should catch up with them and that I need to make more time for my friends.
My thoughts too. It's so easy to get caught up in life and its many unpredictable twists and turns, but its always good to touch base with good friends who help to keep you grounded and nourish your soul.
And true friends are those with whom you can pick right back up from where you left off, as though no time had passed!
Laura Lee

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”