Carly and Kane's friendship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: Carly and Kane's friendship

Post by Brenda Creech »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 05:19 To be honest, I felt the scene was completely unrealistic. As you mentioned, Carly gave Kane all the signs that they coul move on to the next level and all of a sudden she acts offended when he kisses her. Rather strange, if you ask me.
Exactly! She dressed nicely and made sure she looked good before he got there. Usually, you don't try that hard to dress up when it's your best friend coming over!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

writestuff wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 13:49 I think it was a cry for help, but Carly felt too guilty or even scared to pull it off.
That's a very good point! I had not thought of that.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Waldorf wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 15:16 I was surprised when she referred to Kane as her best friend. At the start we only see her and Kane through Adam’s POV so I didn’t realise they were so close. But then Kane’s foot fetish comes out of nowhere so I wonder if some part of Kane’s involvement in the story got chopped in an earlier draft.

When she started working with Kane at the store I thought it was a prelude to finding out more about Terry but that never happened.
I am still confused about the foot fetish thing myself! Yes, Terry needed to be vindicated!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

nfdoughe wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 16:25 I think she was perfectly justified. Kane touched Carly in a way she didn't like, so she touched him in a way he didn't like. It's not necessarily "right," but an eye for an eye and all that. Plus, since she regretted it so badly, it seems more a reaction than a deliberate act. However, it never should have gotten to that point. Carly could have been much clearer about being just friends with him. She obviously knew he had feelings for her. On the other hand, Kane should also have been much clearer. He knew she was with Adam. If either of them had just used their words, it would have been better. But that's part of why this is young adult I guess.
You are so right! Both of them are responsible. Obviously no guidelines were set for their friendship!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tan TR wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 18:20
B Creech wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 16:18 Carly and Kane formed a close friendship and hung out together sometimes. Kane knew that Carly and Adam were a couple, but he kept hoping Carly would fall for him. The night her aunt was out of town, and Carly invited Kane over for dinner, and he kissed her, was she justified in her reaction of slapping him? Or do you feel she brought it on herself? I feel like she dressed to get his attention with her pink off-the-shoulder sweater. They snuggled up together on the couch, so when he was leaving and kissed her before he went out the door, and she slapped him, I felt like it was a little too harsh. What are your thoughts on this? Was Carly right in how she handled the kiss? Was there a better way to handle the situation between friends?
Honestly, it didn’t even cross my mind that she was dressing in any way provocative. What I did find weird was how okay she was with the snuggling together in the couch, she should have put a stop to that from the start. But she had all the right to slap him. Kane knew, she was with Adam, so what if they hung out together alone, so what if they sat together on a couch. Kane was out of line, but I agree that Carly had to set the boundaries way before the dinner that night.
I think they both are responsible in how the evening ended. Asking a male friend to your house, and cooking him dinner is setting up an intimate evening, isn't it?
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Harsh Prajapati wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 13:08
Harsh Prajapati wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 02:50 I don't think Carly was trying to get his attentions because while she did wear the pink sweater and snuggled with him(though it was a bit far), in an earlier scene she had made sure to wear socks to fend off Kane's foot fetish.
Though that foot fetish was sprung up quite abruptly and never mentioned again (however there wasn't any specific need). I think the main point of bringing it into story was only to show that Carly was trying to deflect his attention in any romantic way.
But then again she didn't exactly stop him from snuggling in the couch. I think that would have easily been taken by any teenager as a kind or hint or approval for escalating a friendship.
In the end she miscalculated his feelings for her and it backfired.
I think author just wished to create that scene without painting any of the teen to be 'at fault' for what happened. Since they had to be friends again. The scene did propagate Alan's character development by showing that he could now manage his temper and cared about Carly loosing her best friend.
That's true. Adam didn't hassle her over it and that was unusual for him.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Jezebelle84 wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 14:47 Carly was probably too friendly and familiar with Kane considering she is in a relationship and she knows that Kane has feelings for her. Inviting him for dinner where it's just the two of them and then snuggling on the couch? That's like an open invitation for more, I think. I can see how Kane would get the wrong idea.
Absolutely! I totally agree.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

mama_ash wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 19:08 I thought this relationship was too involved for Carly being in a relationship. I don't think she asked for the kiss, but the one-on-one dinner was inappropriate, as was the "cuddling" on the couch. Her slap was definitely justified, he crossed a line!
Yes, he definitely crossed the line. Inviting him over and cooking dinner for just the two of them seemed a bit intimate for best friends, I think.
B. Creech
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

B Creech wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 20:23
Harsh Prajapati wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 02:50 I don't think Carly was trying to get his attentions because while she did wear the pink sweater and snuggled with him(though it was a bit far), in an earlier scene she had made sure to wear socks to fend off Kane's foot fetish.
True. I can't help but wonder how she knew Kane had a foot fetish! As they were just friends, how did she find that out? I found that part rather strange!
Kane must have told her. Or also Crystall who has had a long crush on Kane must have told her.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Howlan wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 00:20
B Creech wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 20:23
True. I can't help but wonder how she knew Kane had a foot fetish! As they were just friends, how did she find that out? I found that part rather strange!
Kane must have told her. Or also Crystall who has had a long crush on Kane must have told her.
Good point! You're probably right.
B. Creech
Jac-o-lantern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jac-o-lantern.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jac-o-lantern »

I do think Kane was in the wrong for just kissing her out of the blue, he should have talked to her about his feelings especially knowing she was in a relationship. However, I do think Carly shares some of the blame for leading him on. While her outfit did not matter in my opinion, her reluctance to make clear boundaries and show her discomfort with his actions lead him to believe he had a chance and her reaction of slapping him was too extreme she could have used her words. I understand both were afraid of ruining their friendship, but more communication should have been used.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Jac-o-lantern wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:06 I do think Kane was in the wrong for just kissing her out of the blue, he should have talked to her about his feelings especially knowing she was in a relationship. However, I do think Carly shares some of the blame for leading him on. While her outfit did not matter in my opinion, her reluctance to make clear boundaries and show her discomfort with his actions lead him to believe he had a chance and her reaction of slapping him was too extreme she could have used her words. I understand both were afraid of ruining their friendship, but more communication should have been used.
I think you really worded this very well! I don't condone violence in this instance... the lines were blurred enough that I can understand why Kane felt like it was ok to kiss her, (but you are right, he could/should have told her about his wanting to kiss her) but I don't think Kane was being aggressive to the point that Carly felt the need to defend herself.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

:oops: Why would you invite a guy over, wear a more provocative top, and snuggle on the couch if you weren't trying to start something? In my opinion, she should've been surprised if there hadn't been a kiss.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

gayscott wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 16:09 :oops: Why would you invite a guy over, wear a more provocative top, and snuggle on the couch if you weren't trying to start something? In my opinion, she should've been surprised if there hadn't been a kiss.
I agree... it's confusing enough at that age but she definitely was blurring those lines... The only defense I can think of on Carly's behalf is that she is unpracticed at social situations... but still, making dinner for two and cuddling on the couch would seem romantic to me too...
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Jac-o-lantern wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 10:06 I do think Kane was in the wrong for just kissing her out of the blue, he should have talked to her about his feelings especially knowing she was in a relationship. However, I do think Carly shares some of the blame for leading him on. While her outfit did not matter in my opinion, her reluctance to make clear boundaries and show her discomfort with his actions lead him to believe he had a chance and her reaction of slapping him was too extreme she could have used her words. I understand both were afraid of ruining their friendship, but more communication should have been used.
Yes you should never force yourself on someone unwilling.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”