What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Re: What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Twylla wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 14:29 My favorite part of the book was all of the history that was woven into the story. When Bridget was explaining that the great famine was actually the great hunger I had never heard that. Very interesting!
Without a doubt, the author did a remarkable job with the way Ireland’s rich history was infused into the story, bringing it to life in the book’s pages.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Genetic Spurn - The Reality? by M. R. Coates - Rutgers Univ. GSM

Post by Marty_Kelly »

I've been seeing great reviews about this book. I can't wait to read it.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I think the parts I liked most about this book were the way she described Ireland so it wasn’t too boring and the lead up to Bridget’s murder. You just didn’t know when it was going to happen but you knew it was coming. I did not like the ending. It was too abrupt for me.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herbstlicht.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Herbstlicht »

This book brings out fascinating memories on Ireland's past. I love the cultural insight of it. I felt like the murder mystery was a bit superfluous.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

As I was writing my review I just realized, spoiler alert, the book does not prosecute one of the people involved because they are in the US.

Ireland and the US have extradition treaties and now that also annoys me about the ending.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1931
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

My favorite moments or features of this novel were whenever the female protagonist Hillary remembered her mother with warmth of her heart while visiting her home country Ireland. This forms the backbone of the story and I always like the tale of a mother. Hillary's sense of exploration of past is appreciable!
My worst moment of this novel was the murder of Hillary's loving and aged companion Sarah. I felt sorry for this helper of Hillary's daughter as she represented love, tenderness and goodness of soul!
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

Twylla wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 14:29 My favorite part of the book was all of the history that was woven into the story. When Bridget was explaining that the great famine was actually the great hunger I had never heard that. Very interesting!
It was definitely one of the best parts of the book. I found it very interesting and intriguing as well.
kperm

Post by kperm »

wendilou49 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 15:20 My favourite part of the story was Hillary's relationship with claire. They are both so free and open, it's very refreshing
I enjoyed reading about their relationship too. I think that the author did a wonderful job developing their relationship.
kperm

Post by kperm »

B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 09:07 My favorite part was the descriptions of Ireland. I've always dreamed of going there and to Scotland as my ancestry is Scotch-Irish. The worst part for me was on the plane when Claire got her hair caught. I was so worried because I knew she would be devastated if they had to cut her hair to get it loose!
The plane part got me worried as well. I imagined how I would react if I was in her place, and it stressed me out. I agree that the descriptions of Ireland were the best parts.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

I loved how explicitly the author described Ireland. I feel like i have a clear picture of what the country looks and it's funny because i have never been there.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 16:44 I think the parts I liked most about this book were the way she described Ireland so it wasn’t too boring and the lead up to Bridget’s murder. You just didn’t know when it was going to happen but you knew it was coming. I did not like the ending. It was too abrupt for me.
There was quite a bit of foreshadowing regarding Bridget’s demise, but I was slightly hoping it wouldn’t happen at all. I thought the end wrapped up what was presented in the book except I felt a little numb from the death of Sarah. That seemed rather quickly done and over. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! :)
Everything happens for a reason...
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Herbstlicht wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 17:34 This book brings out fascinating memories on Ireland's past. I love the cultural insight of it. I felt like the murder mystery was a bit superfluous.
I have to say, I was really surprised by who died in the book. I thought maybe it would be secondary characters like threats to stop Bridgett, but it totally caught me off guard, and it didn’t feel totally real to me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:10 As I was writing my review I just realized, spoiler alert, the book does not prosecute one of the people involved because they are in the US.

Ireland and the US have extradition treaties and now that also annoys me about the ending.
Oh...I never even thought of that! Yes, that is aggravating. So many things observed in this book. That’s why reading is such a good way to spend one’s time. You learn even if it’s a fictional work.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Disneyland wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 04:24 My favorite moments or features of this novel were whenever the female protagonist Hillary remembered her mother with warmth of her heart while visiting her home country Ireland. This forms the backbone of the story and I always like the tale of a mother. Hillary's sense of exploration of past is appreciable!
My worst moment of this novel was the murder of Hillary's loving and aged companion Sarah. I felt sorry for this helper of Hillary's daughter as she represented love, tenderness and goodness of soul!
I agree with you. I was a bit shocked by both deaths, frankly, even though we were given a bit of foreshadowing of both. It will be interesting to see where Hillary’s story goes next as far as tracking down her mom. I appreciate you stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Marty_Kelly wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 14:51 I've been seeing great reviews about this book. I can't wait to read it.
It’s worth the read. The author does a great job setting the scene. Come back and let me know what you thought of it! :)

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”