Culture

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
mraphael1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mraphael1.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Re: Culture

Post by mraphael1 »

Culture plays a major role in deiffernt methods, many cultures do not want people to show any inner emotions. I still think that the most effective method of treatment is discovered by the individual person.
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

Culture is a big part of person's identity and there are some cultures that still stigmatize the need for mental health resources. This makes it difficult for some people to get the help they need. I think some of the techniques in this book, like meditation, are helpful for people who do not have access to professional help because of the cultural stigma.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 06:39 Beckygithui1994 wrote:
> Yes, different cultures have different ways of doing things and not all
> cultures would benefit from a guide such as this one.

I believe what you meant to say was that some people from other cultures might not find the book practical.
Yes, but many cultures may frown some practices mentioned and may suggest other methods that will relieve you of stress and anxiety.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

It should be that culture shouldn't come in ones way of improving oneself. If meditating helps you, you do it; your culture shouldn't have a say in it.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

People in industrialized nations will have greater access to more of the treatments mentioned in the book than those who live in third-world nations.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

In certain cultures mental health isn't taken as a serious issue. Since I am an African from Kenya, I can attest to that. Some of the remedies here would be scoffed at because mental health has never been taken as seriously as it should. Which is something that should change. People would rather suppress what they're going through than admit and seek alternate treatment.
ashleexry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleexry.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by ashleexry »

Culture does have an effect. Culture, a group's shared beliefs and attitudes shape ideas about what constitutes disease, and acceptable treatment. The worldview of an individual is closely linked to his or her cultural and religious history and has significant consequences for health care. For example, people with chronic diseases who believe in fatalism (i.e., predetermined fate) often do not follow treatment because they believe that their outcomes can not be affected by medical intervention.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

People grow up in different culture will choose different method. But I think this book offers many options. Majority of people should be able to find an option that suits him/her.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

mraphael1 wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 12:30 Culture plays a major role in deiffernt methods, many cultures do not want people to show any inner emotions. I still think that the most effective method of treatment is discovered by the individual person.
Mostly, homogeneous cultures are strict on following social norms. These habits can hinder individuals from using a modern approach to solve stress and anxiety.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

diamonnd wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 16:18 Culture is a big part of person's identity and there are some cultures that still stigmatize the need for mental health resources. This makes it difficult for some people to get the help they need. I think some of the techniques in this book, like meditation, are helpful for people who do not have access to professional help because of the cultural stigma.
Another issue with culture is language barrier. If a subject is in a different culture, that doesn’t speak their native language, it may be difficult to find help.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

rahilshajahan wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 09:48 It should be that culture shouldn't come in ones way of improving oneself. If meditating helps you, you do it; your culture shouldn't have a say in it.
Since meditation can be done in seclusion, it’s a good remedy in a culture where going public with your issues is prohibited.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

ciecheesemeister wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 10:02 People in industrialized nations will have greater access to more of the treatments mentioned in the book than those who live in third-world nations.
On the contrary, not all cultures in third world are marginalized. In fact, majority of the cultures in third world countries have more access to natural remedies than the expensive track of using medication.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Samgum50 wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 10:16 In certain cultures mental health isn't taken as a serious issue. Since I am an African from Kenya, I can attest to that. Some of the remedies here would be scoffed at because mental health has never been taken as seriously as it should. Which is something that should change. People would rather suppress what they're going through than admit and seek alternate treatment.
It’s for that reason that sensitization is required. Cultural norms can still be followed provided they also have a tolerance to dealing with stress and anxiety, in the recommended ways.
Yasmira_M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmira-m.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by Yasmira_M »

Although some of the remedies by the author are universally applicable, I do think that some of them as well will be rejected by some cultures and religious sects.
sblake26
Currently Reading: The New Jim Crow
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sblake26.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by sblake26 »

I agree with the other comments that this book has something for everyone; however, some of the practices might not be suitable for people in certain cultures or with certain religious beliefs. Thanks for bringing up this topic! I did not think of that as I was reading this book.

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”