Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2020 Book of the month, "Timewise" by Robert Leet
lavkathleen
Favorite Author: Adam Guest
Currently Reading: Weeper
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavkathleen.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade
fav_author_id: 188841

Re: Were the Physics Topics Too Complex?

Post by lavkathleen »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 13:50 I also found the physics a bit complex. But Robert Leet had readers like me in mind. The images helped me to understand some of the topics. If there wouldn't have been some diagrams, I am sure I'd have found it so hard to read.
Yes!!! I found the diagrams cool and helpful, too. I guess that's part of the reason why I was still able to get a general grasp of the discussions, even though I didn't fully understand all the details. I wish there was also a drawing of the lab and the time machine, though.
Kathleen Lavador
pronouns: she/they

“Don't worry, honey. I'll keep the home fires burning.” — Gideon Nav, Harrow the Ninth (Tamsyn Muir)
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

lavkathleen wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 23:16
Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 13:50 I also found the physics a bit complex. But Robert Leet had readers like me in mind. The images helped me to understand some of the topics. If there wouldn't have been some diagrams, I am sure I'd have found it so hard to read.
Yes!!! I found the diagrams cool and helpful, too. I guess that's part of the reason why I was still able to get a general grasp of the discussions, even though I didn't fully understand all the details. I wish there was also a drawing of the lab and the time machine, though.
Images are useful in relaying messages that might be presumed as hard to understand. Robert Leet used a minimalist style in the diagrams he used. If he was to highlight every section with a diagram as you've suggested, this book would be too congested and mismatched.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Jabril Miller
Currently Reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-12ultimate.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Jabril Miller »

The explanations themselves are detailed--you likely wouldn't be able to understand them in their full capacity without at least a moderate amount of scientific capability under your belt.

And yet, the story is written in such a way you don't have to. Using context clues and reading the story as it is, you should be able to come to an understanding of what's going on in the story without having to go in-depth. It's one of the things that makes the story unique-- you get the general affectations, but there's also something "additional" for people who really want to dive into it.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Exiles' Escape
Bookshelf Size: 1667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Tarizon: Supreme Mandate by William Manchee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 98%

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

They started out to be a big deal but when I read the book a second time, it wasn't the physics part that was the focus. It was actually being aware of time the relationship of how it could possibly be manipulated by people.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: My Yellow Brick Road by Patrick J Roelle Sr. / Mr. Pat

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I found quantum physics too complicated, and had to concentrate really hard while reading. I didn’t have almost any knowledge about this topic before, and this did disturb the flow of reading the story. I suppose that’s why I didn’t particularly enjoy reading this book. In order to make the book more friendly to the big audience, the author could have left some of it out. I do realize this book might then not be quite the same.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

12ultimate wrote: 10 Nov 2020, 20:54 The explanations themselves are detailed--you likely wouldn't be able to understand them in their full capacity without at least a moderate amount of scientific capability under your belt.

And yet, the story is written in such a way you don't have to. Using context clues and reading the story as it is, you should be able to come to an understanding of what's going on in the story without having to go in-depth. It's one of the things that makes the story unique-- you get the general affectations, but there's also something "additional" for people who really want to dive into it.
I have to appreciate Robert Leet for making it a little easier to comprehend the topics. This might have been the reason the physics discussions between Regina and Ron progressed page after another. Robert tried to make it as easy as it could get. However, that doesn't mean it was smooth all through, there are places I found myself stranded.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Kirsi_78 wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 05:03 I found quantum physics too complicated, and had to concentrate really hard while reading. I didn’t have almost any knowledge about this topic before, and this did disturb the flow of reading the story. I suppose that’s why I didn’t particularly enjoy reading this book. In order to make the book more friendly to the big audience, the author could have left some of it out. I do realize this book might then not be quite the same.
Indeed, some of the topics were too complex for me. But the concepts were relatable. If there hadn't been a turn on and off in the plot, I don't think I'd finish reading the book. But Ron kept things fresh and unprecedented. That way, I was full of enthusiasm to learn the next fail or triumph in his story.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

It seems that some portion of this book dealing with science (physics in particular) maybe overwhelming for some readers due to its lengthy explanations, but it was ok for me as I am interested in the topic of quantum physics a lot.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that for the most part, many of the topics presented were fairly straight forward to understand. Some people had a harder time than others to decipher certain aspects of quantum mechanics. I have learned a lot about space and the laws of space due to scientific programs on television, but even I had some trouble.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:

Moddesser Elahi wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 13:17 It seems that some portion of this book dealing with science (physics in particular) maybe overwhelming for some readers due to its lengthy explanations, but it was ok for me as I am interested in the topic of quantum physics a lot.
I believe those topics are clearer for individuals with a physics background. Nevertheless, the narrative begins with a gripping story on Ron. Hence by the time a reader gets to the chapters that address the physics topics, they are already too absorbed in the story for the complexity in the topics to dismiss them.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires&rsquo; Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

I am fascinated with quantum physics, even if I do not know much of it. So I loved it in the book. Mostly I liked the way Regina brought Ron to the stage where he could understand complicated issues. I think the pleasure of knowing and understanding beats any other.
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

I think that the topics discussed are not easy to comprehend, but I understood them alright. In fact, coming across such topics after treating some of them in school has helped me understand the concepts more. They were necessary to the book's plot in my opinion.
Amber_joslyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-joslyn.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Amber_joslyn »

Joseph_ngaruiya wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 23:44 There are different subjects of physics present throughout the book.
Did you find the topics to be too complex for easy comprehension?
Were all the discussed topics in physics necessary to accomplish the purpose of the book?
I have never taken a physics class and some of it was hard to comprehend, but the author did a really good job at explaining the theories, and even including pictures, to help the audience understand the concepts.
Ekchambe10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekchambe10.html
Latest Review: Riven Calyx by Mark Leon Collins

Post by Ekchambe10 »

The concepts were too complex for me and made it really hard to get through the book. I have no background in math or science and while I felt that sometimes that author did a great job explaining concepts and using metaphor to help, there were definitely a few times that I felt in over my head. I think he probably could have accomplished a lot of the book without going into as deep concepts but if that is what he is excited about that's why you write your own book. However, I do feel the inclusion of such complex topics may limit his interested audience.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Loneliness in the Pocket by Graeme Stuckings

Post by Frannie Annie »

They were too complicated for me and I ended up skipping over some of the conversations. I think the author could've simplified them a little more.

Return to “Discuss "Timewise" By Robert Leet”