Does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2020 Book of the month, "Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Re: Does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:41 The author herself has a Catholic background, yet she claims that the holy bible which is presented today is but a result of various manipulations and political agendas, not the true initial message given by the supreme being.

She gives evidence about a true supreme being via quantum physics as well as philosophical teachings. As per the author, this book contains whatever the details that anyone who is intelligent enough to understand the true meaning of a religion and the world.

So, does that make this book superior to the holy bible? Or on the other hand, does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?
I don't think her saying that today's version of the bible is that way means that her book is superior to the Bible. And I believe quantum physics and science do not debunk the ideas presented in the Bible, either. If anything, science and religion explain each other. Many books draw these parallels. Scientists who are religious tend to have those thoughts and some like to share them. That's why explaining God through quantum physics or any other scientific theories shouldn't mean the Bible is a fraud.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Pamela Bianca Mas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-bianca-mas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00TREI0F2

Post by Pamela Bianca Mas »

Sushan wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 23:03
Pamela Bianca Mas wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 07:37 This book encourages readers to really ponder about their faith and beliefs. Although scientific and philosophical minds continue to strive towards fully understanding God with its theories and rationalization, the bible will always remain as the basis of everything else.
The bible is the basis. The facts that are stated in that are what the scientists try to prove. But if the bible is being manipulated by the church, which edition of it can be taken as the true basis? Where is the line between truth and fraud
Hmm. Because the versions available to us today of the bible are all translations of the original, I think we should look at not just one but a few, if not all, to be properly guided. If there are parts of one edition that is manipulated by it’s translator, then it will not coincide with other editions.
Pamela Bianca Mas
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:41
So, does that make this book superior to the holy bible? Or on the other hand, does this book makes the holy bible a fraud?
Personally, I don't think so. Everyone has the freedom and their reasons for writing about anything. However, I believe that the Holy Bible is a book like no other, superior than anything that has ever, or will ever be written. That's me!
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 00:41 The author herself has a Catholic background, yet she claims that the holy bible which is presented today is but a result of various manipulations and political agendas, not the true initial message given by the supreme being.

She gives evidence about a true supreme being via quantum physics as well as philosophical teachings. As per the author, this book contains whatever the details that anyone who is intelligent enough to understand the true meaning of a religion and the world.

I mean, it's fairly common knowledge now-a-days that the Bible is far from whatever it originally was. For instance, we have recorded evidence that the Catholic church changed passages to fit their teachings when the Pope was becoming more of a political power source. I don't think this book should be held as "superior" to the Bible or as calling the Bible as a whole a fraud. However, it's important to acknowledge in today's day and age that any story that's been passed down for as long as the Bible stories have will have been changed in some way by the people consuming it.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Chikari wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 06:23

I mean, it's fairly common knowledge now-a-days that the Bible is far from whatever it originally was. For instance, we have recorded evidence that the Catholic church changed passages to fit their teachings when the Pope was becoming more of a political power source. I don't think this book should be held as "superior" to the Bible or as calling the Bible as a whole a fraud. However, it's important to acknowledge in today's day and age that any story that's been passed down for as long as the Bible stories have will have been changed in some way by the people consuming it.
That is quite correct. So even with the bible, one have to be cautious not to accept what is written as it is. One should keep in mind to actively read it and try to see the real message
BellAJoEb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajoeb.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by BellAJoEb »

My opinion on this topic will somewhat be different from other people's as well as the author's. I read and meditate on the bible and I see it as being supreme over all. It cannot be compared to any other book.

The author, being a catholic is likely to have been affected by her background and hence her conclusion/opinion on what the bible is today than initially.

The bible remains supreme.
Sushan Ekanayake

BellAJoEb wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 16:26 My opinion on this topic will somewhat be different from other people's as well as the author's. I read and meditate on the bible and I see it as being supreme over all. It cannot be compared to any other book.

The author, being a catholic is likely to have been affected by her background and hence her conclusion/opinion on what the bible is today than initially.

The bible remains supreme.
People can change, so as their beliefs. When you learn and your knowledge is increased you tend to see the things that you already knew in a different manner. The author has done the same. I don't see anything wrong in questioning your religious beliefs unless you are trying to discredit or harm the religion
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Cannoli Caper
Bookshelf Size: 624
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I've read The Bible from cover to cover, as well as some of the gnostic and other gospels that never made it into the approved version. I've studied both personally and in groups the historical bases, inaccuracies, teachings, and cultures of the people and their times. The Bible is not a fraud in the sense of being a guide to being a better person. But for those who believe that it was divinely inspired, I feel sorry. The book, or compilation of multiple books, were written by men, some Old Testament priests and prophets, as well, as the author cites, by zealots in the Common Era. The trick is to parse it correctly and, I truly believe, that it has done more harm than good throughout history, primarily because those in power have parsed it according to their own agendas. All of it has to be measured thoroughly; taking it at face value is foolish. Because let's face it. There was no Adam, there was no Eve. These are stories that were made up to educate the uneducated to try and put some sort of structure on the chaos that is life. So, it may not be a fraud. But it's certainly not what it has been purported to be.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: Red Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Mstrtim wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 10:10 I've read The Bible from cover to cover, as well as some of the gnostic and other gospels that never made it into the approved version. I've studied both personally and in groups the historical bases, inaccuracies, teachings, and cultures of the people and their times. The Bible is not a fraud in the sense of being a guide to being a better person. But for those who believe that it was divinely inspired, I feel sorry. The book, or compilation of multiple books, were written by men, some Old Testament priests and prophets, as well, as the author cites, by zealots in the Common Era. The trick is to parse it correctly and, I truly believe, that it has done more harm than good throughout history, primarily because those in power have parsed it according to their own agendas. All of it has to be measured thoroughly; taking it at face value is foolish. Because let's face it. There was no Adam, there was no Eve. These are stories that were made up to educate the uneducated to try and put some sort of structure on the chaos that is life. So, it may not be a fraud. But it's certainly not what it has been purported to be.
I think you're right! The Bible itself is nit a fraud in any way, it is a book written to help guide people through life, what you make of it is up to the individual's interpretation. I think what the author is trying to do, is reveal those who preach it as frauds. Those who have manipulated its teachings to their own agenda, mistranslated it to make a point that doesn't even exist, and misdirected people to try and keep control over lives. Those people, and religion as an institution, and in this case, the Catholic Church, are the frauds, but the Bible itself, is just a book.
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

It's obvious everyone has a different opinion about the Bible. As for me, I know that no matter what book I read, the Bible will never be a fraud. What I wonder though is whether the author, having a catholic background, wrote this book meaning to challenge the Bible.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: WTF! The Chase by Marc Longcor

Post by zainherb »

Interesting question.

I do not know if the bible is a fraud or not.
I know that one book written by one human being can not make the bible a fraud.
It would take a lot more than that.
Perhaps the author's questions are valid, it doesn't make the bible wrong altogether, just the opinions of individuals.
:techie-reference:
Sushan Ekanayake

Mstrtim wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 10:10 I've read The Bible from cover to cover, as well as some of the gnostic and other gospels that never made it into the approved version. I've studied both personally and in groups the historical bases, inaccuracies, teachings, and cultures of the people and their times. The Bible is not a fraud in the sense of being a guide to being a better person. But for those who believe that it was divinely inspired, I feel sorry. The book, or compilation of multiple books, were written by men, some Old Testament priests and prophets, as well, as the author cites, by zealots in the Common Era. The trick is to parse it correctly and, I truly believe, that it has done more harm than good throughout history, primarily because those in power have parsed it according to their own agendas. All of it has to be measured thoroughly; taking it at face value is foolish. Because let's face it. There was no Adam, there was no Eve. These are stories that were made up to educate the uneducated to try and put some sort of structure on the chaos that is life. So, it may not be a fraud. But it's certainly not what it has been purported to be.
Yours is the most insightful reply I ever got for this topic. That is the truth. If you use the bible to be a better person, that is okay. But there are several reasons for its content to be there. Some are for the understanding purpose. Some are merely manipulations by the past authors and the church. So, no one can just take the face value of its content. You have to study it and see the truth. In that way you will see what are the real content of the bible and what are the added things and manipulations
Chanel_435
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chanel_435 »

I think with many people having their own interests in life defines whether they will accept something is wrong or not. I don't think it always has to do with facts or statistics for a source to show validation that they are liable. I think the battle lies between that persons personal interests and what goes against them, for them to accept their source for what it is instead of what it's not.

For me, the Bible is not meant to always make sense. It's not what you read instead its the message you can gain from it. I think that's were the confusion lies between one who wants to understand the Bible but can't obtain the message from it.
Karunavk
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karunavk.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Karunavk »

As I understand the author is trying to draw our attention towards the way the holy Book is interpreted by the proponents of the faith, not the Book, per se. The teachings of Bible are profound and so potent that any problem we face, we can find reprieve and solution for it in the Book. What the author's problem is with the way these teachings are diluted and trickled down in form of rituals, dogmas and rules that a good Christian has to follow.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think this book expresses the authors thoughts about the bible and the church. This doesn't make the bible a fraud and I think this book is not superior to the bible. I believe the bible was inspired by God and no one is superior to Him.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Return to “Discuss "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D.”