Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2022 Book of the Month, "Wild World", by Peter S. Rush
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Not What Meets the Eye by Matrika Hay

Re: Can a single person stop corruption in an organization?

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I think that everyone can relate to this issue, even on a very small, non life threatening scale. In today’s society, I think it is virtually impossible for one person to stop corruption. There will always be fear to stand up to morally corrupt individuals in the workplace because one’s job can be lost or negatively influenced. I believe the only way it’s possible to end corruption is by influencing as many people as possible in a positive manner, but even then the strength of corrupted power is immense.

To answer your question, I think Steve, and people in similar situations to him, would be better off leaving the system.
Carly Sprout
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-sprout.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

No, because it is a complex and resilient systemic issue that cannot be curbed by the individual alone.
Steve could also have continued on the path of becoming a lawyer and still contributed to fighting corruption. We exist in dynamic collections of systems, always interacting with one another and there needs to be good, multi-disciplined coordinated efforts made with and within these systems to lessen corrupt governance. That said, continuously speaking up and showing others that there is a space where alternative realities can exist is important to successful interventions.
third agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-third-agbata.html
Latest Review: The Ant Called Tiny by Miles Phillip Lewis

Post by third agbata »

There is a saying that " two heads is better than one". A single person may be able to make little progress in the case of stopping corruption in a big organization. But it won't be compared to if they were more people.
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

The disadvantage with fighting such wars alone is that one stands to lose a lot. Steve stood to lose so much with his adamant efforts. Unfortunately, it is really not possible to do it in my opinion.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Frankly speaking, it is impossible. You may be alone, but then you would still need connections to help you execute other tasks and keep you informed of everything that is ongoing.
Mosele 19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosele-19.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mosele 19 »

One person can stop corruption of course. Depending on he/she's determination. It will take a miracle to succeed in this case.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

Most definitely not. Unless they want to matyr themselves to the cause. Once corruption sets in uprooting it can be the devil's own job.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I don't think one person can single handedly stop corruption in an organisation. Even Steve had some help with his plan. It takes a lot to stop something like corruption especially in big organisations. I'm actually surprised Steve wasn't caught by his workmates.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I believe the answer to your question lies in the purposes and goals of the individual and the organization. The choice of keep fighting or leave would be influenced by deciding which is more pro-survival across all aspects of society (not just what affects the individual). And yes, an individual can absolutely make a difference even if it is not immediately apparent.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruka N »

Timothee22 wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 00:07 It won't work with only him fighting this battle. He needs support. It will only take a miracle for him to win this case.
Exactly if something is a lost cause and is hopeless then there is no use the person putting their life and that of people they love in danger.
Braam Meyer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braam-meyer.html
Latest Review: Bombora by Paul Drewitt

Post by Braam Meyer »

Once some backing is acquired, the process will be more in the face of everyone so he should just keep on doing what he does. Change doesn't come overnight.
Ruka N
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruka-n.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruka N »

Avishi wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 01:01 If I were in Steve's situation, I would just follow my instincts and my heart. If I believe I can change the corrupted system, I will do everything it takes, regardless of the difficulties or results.Whatever sorrow occurs in the process of creating a better world, we may be certain that the better will come to us later.
It is impossible to be a one-man army and change the world in our corrupted environment. But it is worthwhile to strive to achieve something in which we have a strong belief, even if it fails in the end. In my opinion, it is the process that is most important, not the outcome.
That's very honorable, but I couldn't do it. My first instinct would be to run away in fear. The most I could do is gather evidence and wait. Your last sentence I agree with, but it will probably require lots of effort and sacrifice.
marta baglioni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

In an ideal world, yes, one should go on no matter what. But in reality, I don't think he could succeed on his own: he would need to recruit an army one by one.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

It is hard for one person to change things. However, someone needs to start the change. If no-one tries it will never change. It is hard to be that first person though, and I think harder still to be the person set in their ways who changes to join and to advance the cause.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

It's not easy for one person to stop corruption in an organization. If that person tries to stop others, they will find a way to kill that person. It will be better for that person to leave the system.

Return to “Discuss "Wild World" by Peter S. Rush”