High School Appropriate - Yes or No

This is the July 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the July 2023 Book of the Month, "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright.
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=595180

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Re: High School Appropriate - Yes or No

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Emily Meadows wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 14:25 I'm a big yes on this book for high schoolers!

And I'm a bit fuzzy on my PRQ but I am pretty sure I answered mine the same way you answered yours, so that's weird that yours got rejected. Mine did not get rejected @Diana Lowery .
I'm unaware the criteria OBC is using in determining what review to accept or reject. Lately, I've been reading a lot of complains regarding rejected reviews. I'm glad yours was published.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Dana Youngblood wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 10:11 I feel that this book would be good for high school students to read. A lot happens in one day and it can seem really big to a teenager. Even though most of the characters didn't realize it, they were helping each other. One person, Avery, would say a simple thing like "See you later," and that gave Addison hope. People do not always see that their actions and simple words can change a person's day but this book shows that. All of the characters are going through something pretty serious and hard to deal with at any age, let alone as high schoolers. I think this book can help high school students see that they are not alone in their thoughts and feelings.
I agree with you. Small details/gestures matter, and sometimes we do not know how our actions impact others until we experience it firsthand. Avery was a pillar of hope for Addison, albeit unknowingly.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 17:43 Then my review is in jeopardy. :D I think it's okay to read this book on teenagers because this gives them awareness about these rarely discussed matters, and it might help them open up if they feel the same about the characters, and seek help. Many are silent and afraid to open up, maybe by discussing this book with them, they will gain the courage to share their dark secrets.
As for your review, fingers crossed. Favor locates people differently. With regards to awareness, I believe the book has a lot to offer if we look past mild profanity like "crap." Opening up may help others battling a similar or relatable problem.
Brian Ruguru
Currently Reading:

Post by Brian Ruguru »

Fred Newman wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 01:37 Yeah I agree with you 100% when whe are able to face topics like sucide and depression boldly in the class without shying away from it, it will make it easier for people going through similar situation to open up or even noticing those who is going through similar situation.
I don't think we can ever discuss topics like suicide "boldly." It is easier said than done, and the act of shying away from discussing such topics is only human instinct.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Cannoli Caper
Bookshelf Size: 620
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

My review was also rejected. Seems to be a lot of that going on. But this is a book that should be read in classrooms. First of all, there is no sexual content, so parents need not worry about that. Secondly, the author does such a great job in getting into the mindset of these teenagers that I think young adults will easily identify with them, sharing many of their fears, insecurities, as well as hopes and dreams. As an old dude, I learned a lot about what's going on with today's youth. I found it enlightening as well as frightening. Certainly, the book is thought-provoking and I believe it could be a good way to stimulate conversation in the classroom. Unless, of course, it was in Florida, where I'm sure it would be banned.
Jemma Tredinnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemma-tredinnick.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Jemma Tredinnick »

Dana Youngblood wrote: 20 Jul 2023, 10:11 I feel that this book would be good for high school students to read. A lot happens in one day and it can seem really big to a teenager. Even though most of the characters didn't realize it, they were helping each other. One person, Avery, would say a simple thing like "See you later," and that gave Addison hope. People do not always see that their actions and simple words can change a person's day but this book shows that. All of the characters are going through something pretty serious and hard to deal with at any age, let alone as high schoolers. I think this book can help high school students see that they are not alone in their thoughts and feelings.
This really resonated with me too and I agree that this would be a very helpful book for high school students. With all their issues and flying hormones they don't always realise the effect they have on others, both positive and negative.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I'm sorry to hear about your review. I agree with you that the subject of suicide is a sensitive issue that should be addressed in high schools, especially with the scary rise in the number of cases among teenagers.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Papi, Por Favor! by Rossana Snee
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 16:13 I'm sorry to hear about your review. I agree with you that the subject of suicide is a sensitive issue that should be addressed in high schools, especially with the scary rise in the number of cases among teenagers.
Thank you,
Miraculously, I was just notified that my review was published!
Jemma Tredinnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemma-tredinnick.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Jemma Tredinnick »

Diana Lowery wrote: 27 Jul 2023, 10:55
Omneya Shakeep wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 16:13 I'm sorry to hear about your review. I agree with you that the subject of suicide is a sensitive issue that should be addressed in high schools, especially with the scary rise in the number of cases among teenagers.
Thank you,
Strangely my review has just gone from rejected to pending. I'm not sure why but I'm not complaining. I really loved this book but I have a low rating because I didn't list any problems with it.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Cannoli Caper
Bookshelf Size: 620
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Jemma Tredinnick wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 09:25
Thank you,
Strangely my review has just gone from rejected to pending. I'm not sure why but I'm not complaining. I really loved this book but I have a low rating because I didn't list any problems with it.
And yet another miracle! My review was suddenly accepted as well!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Papi, Por Favor! by Rossana Snee
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Timothy Rucinski wrote: 29 Jul 2023, 14:55
Jemma Tredinnick wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 09:25
Thank you,
And yet another miracle! My review was suddenly accepted as well!
:tiphat:
Mari Inez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-inez.html
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant

Post by Mari Inez »

I believe it's highschool appreciate. The author kept the audience in mind when writing the book.
Latest Review: Break by Wes Grant
Marissa Maniaci
Currently Reading: The King's Bargain
Bookshelf Size: 1723
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-maniaci.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Marissa Maniaci »

My opinion is that this might be a good book to read together in a high school classroom, but maybe not as an independent reading book provided in a high school library. The sensitive topics of suicide and sexual assault deserve to be addressed, but I think they need to be discussed in a safe environment with adult guidance and support. If an entire class is reading this with accompanying activities and discussions, it can be approached in a way that ensures that students aren't triggered by the content in any way and that any arising concerns are immediately addressed. I wouldn't necessarily want a high schooler to pick this up from a library on their own without anyone to go to as they read through it. Obviously, it is different if a parent is purchasing this for their child and can be around to monitor them and support them through the reading. I just think an adult should be aware that a teen is reading this book in case it drums up questions or emotional concerns.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I would venture to even say that it is crucial to discuss the topics revolving around mental health and family issues with teenagers and this book would be a great start. Teenagers are at a crucial stage in their development and equipping them to face these challenges with the guidance of more experienced elders can only be beneficial to them.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with reading this to teenagers. They are watching much worse on tv now let alone in movies. I think the book has pivotal and important messages though:
- you are not alone, you are seen
- even in the midst of your own trauma, you can still help others
- the smallest of acts can have a massive impact.

Return to “Discuss "Swimming in a Sea of Stars" by Julie Wright”